Headlights and visibility questions

Do you always, always, always, notice a vehicle with a headlight out?

• Yes

Votes: 52 85.2%
  • No

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rushiku

Reaction score
Visit site
Question 2: Have you done, or do you plan to do, a dual headlight mod?

(Sorry if this has been covered before, I didn't see anything, but that doesn't mean it's not there...)

W

wrightme43

Yes but I look for motorcycles, and I worry about cars with one headlight being 1/2 way in my lane.

rrandall

BugMan
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes but I am still getting materials together, also looking into a heaglight from Europe so it will take a regular H4 and the reflector will be designed for the H4 High/Low buld.

moo cow

Reaction score
Visit site
i've done the mod more b/c i like things symmetrical and the one on, one off was bugging me. i agree with wrightme, i'm always trying to figure out if it's a car halfway in my lane.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
When you put the word "always" in repetition like that it is hard for me to say yes.

If you only had one always i would have been more likely to chose the yes rather than the no.

RedRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I havent done the mod yet, but I intend to do it soon just for the safety reasons and noticability it brings and well yes it does look cool too:thumbup:

I don't do much night riding but I'm sure it helps alot with visibility on the road.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Dual headlight mod has never gotten me that fired up. I dont ride at night and always ride in the day with the "unlit" second headligh on high beam. When I look at my reflection in the back of a car or window of store, the low beam is hardly noticeable, the high-beam quite so. Some day I may figure out how to replace my low beam with something higher intensity. Seems lots of people have done that.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In Denmark you must travel even in daylight with your headlights on.

They come on automatically when you turn the ignition on.

We live close to the border with germany where a lot of the vehicles do not have this facility and in germany they do not need to have their lights on in daylight.

The Germans forget and so we are constantly flashing them to put their lights on.

It saves them an automatic 500 Kroner fine if the police catch them.

I would advise all of you to ride with your lights on to help make sure you are seen.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I have done the BD43 Headlight mod; this was partly a move to pre-empt the annoying "you have a headlight out" remarks. It's also better illumination. I've noticed a few other brands do the SAME thing: only one side headlight normally on.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gawd, another dual headlight thread? They're about as common as oil threads.

What if you added Amsoil to the headlight assembly? I bet it would shine ten time brighter and never burn out! Then you could use a K&N air filter to vent the whole thing. But the only problem is you would need to change the oil every 4000 miles. But if you added an oil cooler and a water injection system I bet you could extend the oil change interval to 4010 miles.

I love this place!

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if that was the psychology of the single light on low beam, if people always see a car with only 1 headlight working, doe's it make sense to think only having 1 lamp on our bikes will make people see it better? I mean, how many folks say, hey man you got a light out. But it made them look and consider the bike in the first place.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Question 2: Have you done, or do you plan to do, a dual headlight mod?

(Sorry if this has been covered before, I didn't see anything, but that doesn't mean it's not there...)

This is the most done to death thread in the forum.

Everyone should learn to use the search facility on here.

Steve

W

wrightme43

What if you added Amsoil to the headlight assembly? I bet it would shine ten time brighter and never burn out! Then you could use a K&N air filter to vent the whole thing. But the only problem is you would need to change the oil every 4000 miles. But if you added an oil cooler and a water injection system I bet you could extend the oil change interval to 4010 miles.

I love this place!

AAAMMMMMSSSSOOOOIIIIILLLLLLLL !!!!!!!!!!! :rockon:

On the high beam on thing, I know this may only be me, but here is the story again.

I almost hit a motorcyclist head on with my truck. I was sick, and did not feel good. I target fixated on the blinding bright light blasting my eyes, and found myself driving at him. Why people think annoying and blinding multi thousand pound vehicles is a good safety idea,I will never understand.

Have some drive at you with thier highbeams on. It is not plesant.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if that was the psychology of the single light on low beam, if people always see a car with only 1 headlight working, doe's it make sense to think only having 1 lamp on our bikes will make people see it better? I mean, how many folks say, hey man you got a light out. But it made them look and consider the bike in the first place.
Lateral thinking, I love it

Nel

Rushiku

Reaction score
Visit site
This is the most done to death thread in the forum.

Everyone should learn to use the search facility on here.

Steve

Yes and no, I couldn't find anything that paired visibility with the headlight mod, which is the point of this thread.

I really want to do the mod, because it bothers me to be asymmetrical, on the other hand, I think it will give people less reason to 'see' me.

You noted before that headlights are required in your country, I read about that years ago and the reduction in accidents as a result - I started, and still do, turning on my headlights all the time. :)