headlight placement/aiming

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Guys and Gals, I need a few measurments from you. I am putting an aftermarket headlight on my bike and the owners manual doesn't have any specifics........here is what I need you to do:

1.Put bike on center stand (or have someone hold it upright) 10' from a wall (Just to keep a standard, measure from the front most point on the tire).

2. measure distance of the top of your high and low beam pattern on the wall (from ground up).

3. do the same thing from 25'.

I just want to get an average of a few stock bikes to see where I need my headlight to be aimed when I get my brackets made. If you don't have a FZ6 that is fine just let me know what kind of bike it is on.

Here is a little cheatsheet you can cut and paste:

Type of bike: (yr,make,model)
Center stand or someone holding the bike upright
10' Away
top of low beam:
top of high beam:
25' Away
top of low beam:
top of high beam:

Thanks in advance!
:thumbup::rockon:

dimitre977

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't go measure but what I found in the Buell service manual for the headlight I used said at 25' have the top of your beams 29-31" from the ground. Hope this helps.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't go measure but what I found in the Buell service manual for the headlight I used said at 25' have the top of your beams 29-31" from the ground. Hope this helps.

I assume that is low beams (not that I can adjust high and low independently)

That does help. Thanks:thumbup:

dimitre977

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wired the headlights so that both are on at the same time. With the Buell setup the normal way has one light on for low beam and both on for high beam. But they are the same bulbs on both side so I wired them to both be on all the time.