Has your bike ever hit the ground?

Has your bike ever touched pavement?

• No, my bike has never been dropped, or layed down. It's still a minter.

Votes: 393 36.6%
  • Yes, the side of my bike has touched pavement.

Votes: 681 63.4%

• Total voters

arkay

Reaction score
Visit site
I dropped it the same day as I bought it. It had just been delivered and I was sat on it. Outside my house are some steps about a yard long and 8 inches high, as I wheeled it down, still sat on it, I found myself with each wheel on top of a step and my legs nowhere near the floor, you can guess the rest, when they go so far you just can't stop them. Very little damage as I sort of had the weight as it dropped. Still very pissed off about it though!!

OCPILOT

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep first week I had it! It was well below 30 outside and guess there was a bit of moisture too. Had it slide right out from under me making a right turn at an intersection. I shed a tear but i got really luck with the damage, just a hole in my fairing.

dblaze

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I placed mine down abruptly once outside the shop I bought the bike from lucky it wasn't open the only person to see me was another chap waiting for the store to open he helped me pick the bike up.

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted YES

twice, once on the left and once on the right, within a month of getting it and passing my test

BUT there really should have been an option to say YES i've dropped it but I've got frame sliders on and there is NO damage to the bike (maybe a small scuff on the sliders)

Woe257

Reaction score
Visit site
Not the FZ6.

My Goldwing hit the ground when a deer hit me.

My bad was when I stopped with my Kaw Meanstreak and put my foot down without looking...right into a pothole and I tipped right over before I could catch it. No damage or injury thought...other than my pride and lesson learned.

Dirt bikes. ahhh...yeah.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i voted yes, from when the fz6 has been under my care it kissed the ground twice. once it was totally my fault, i was riding slowly on a concrete road which was slightly damp and i didnt notice it, i gave the bike a teeny weeny more gas and it spun round, lifted the front and threw me off. luckily it was at low speed however it had considerable cosmetic damage, thank god to frame sliders. the second case, a cager hit me while i was negotiating a roundabout and so i had the right of way, he simply didnt see me or so he said and clipped my rear wheel. damage wasnt severe as again it was at very slow speed

Dr.Moby

Reaction score
Visit site
Not yet. But I came close within 36 hrs of taking ownership. I was trying to get the centerstand down (on the left?! I am used to the right) and the bike started to tilt. I caught it and brought it back up, but it was close. I was lucky to be wearing my riding boots- very stable. My friend came into the driveway just as i was wrenching it up... "dude... did you just lay her down?":spank:... "nope, i caught it before the sliders could"

Sure, my back is sore, but my pride could be more so :thumbup:

Yet another example of the fact that this bike does not like to go slowwww

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Not yet. But I came close within 36 hrs of taking ownership. I was trying to get the centerstand down (on the left?! I am used to the right) and the bike started to tilt. I caught it and brought it back up, but it was close. I was lucky to be wearing my riding boots- very stable. My friend came into the driveway just as i was wrenching it up... "dude... did you just lay her down?":spank:... "nope, i caught it before the sliders could"

Sure, my back is sore, but my pride could be more so :thumbup:

Yet another example of the fact that this bike does not like to go slowwww

Every bike I've ever seen had the center stand "lever" on the clutch lever side, same side as the side stand.

Dr.Moby

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup. I put the centerstand on my KLR. Didnt have a lever on it and i always used the right side of the bike to put it up on the centerstand (grabbing brake with my right hand, my right foot on the stand and my left hand on the passenger grip- release brake, plant foot and PULL). Taking the FZ6 from the left threw me off a bit.

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
knock on wood, my current bike has never hit the ground. but back when i was using my old bike I learned a VERY valuable lesson. here is the scenario. I parked the bike on the sidestand, decided I should put it on the centerstand, did not put the sidestand back up,went to take the bike off the centerstand with the sidestand still down. When the bike came down I don't know if the bike leaned to the left of the suspension compressed enough but the sidestand hit and kicked the bike to the right (away from me) that was an oh S##T moment if I ever had one :spank:

turbo311

Icanhazkustumyoozertitle?
Reaction score
Visit site
Crashed another bike, figured I'd be good and keep this one mint, but no fault of my own some jerk decided to do it for me. I'm beyond words right now.

fureinku

Reaction score
Visit site
havent dropped the fz yet, but i came close a couple of times, each time, a friend was there to help me hold her up

agenda for this week, lower the fz so i can hold her up on my own

sirxander

sirxander
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep I layed mine down going around a 90degree corner at like 30+mph silly me. The bike didnt really suffer any damage AMAZING that was about a year ago. A couple weeks after that I got T-Boned by a 2008 Toyota Sequioa SUV. That destroyed 90% of the plastics as well as the Tank and the Frame. But I built it all back together my self with a black frame. I somehow managed to escape alive with scrapes and bruises as I flipped through the air. Bruised ribs was the worst of it. Thank God for protective gear and full face helmets!

Killen

Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 hasn't been dropped yet, and I'm really hoping to keep it that way. Unfortunately I'm 5'6" and I've had plenty of height-related scares.

My Ninja 250 took a pretty hard driveway fall in a friend of mine's driveway. I'd probably logged a hundred miles on two wheels at this point, so I fault my stupidity on inexperience, but I tried to back up and turn around... on a near-45-degree driveway. Perpendicular to the driveway, my right foot felt nothing but air and I flopped over and slid. Crappy day!

Debaser

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it hasn't touched pavement but has touched the snow lying on top of the pavement. Does that count? :ban:

mukulu

Reaction score
Visit site
I dropped mine for the first time 2 weeks ago. I had just returned from shopping with the missus. started the bike up, we both got on, and pulled away. Trouble is I forgot the disc lock was on the bike (only had the lock for 3 days)
The front locked up, and the rest is history. Bike ended up on top of me.
I spent nearly 2 weeks in hospital, with a broken Femur, and hip.
I feel very stupid, but glad I took the weight of the bike, and the missus didnt get hurt. I will never be using a disc lock again.
So now I have to guess what damage has been done to the bike, as I struggle to get to the bathroom, so cant even get out to look at the bike.:(

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I dropped mine for the first time 2 weeks ago. I had just returned from shopping with the missus. started the bike up, we both got on, and pulled away. Trouble is I forgot the disc lock was on the bike (only had the lock for 3 days)
The front locked up, and the rest is history. Bike ended up on top of me.
I spent nearly 2 weeks in hospital, with a broken Femur, and hip.
I feel very stupid, but glad I took the weight of the bike, and the missus didnt get hurt. I will never be using a disc lock again.
So now I have to guess what damage has been done to the bike, as I struggle to get to the bathroom, so cant even get out to look at the bike.:(

I'm darn sorry to hear this....... did the same thing with a wheel lock on the back of my V65 Sabre, back in '86..... just egg on my face, rather than what you're going through. the ribs and shoulder injury in '05 give me more experience with your current situation........

Take the drugs..... go through the therapy as soon as they say you can start. The worst thing that you can do is delay starting that.

Heal well. The bike will wait.