Has anyone mixed a Shinko front tire with a Bridgestone rear?

Caesar

Reaction score
Visit site
My rear tire needs to be replace but my front is fine so at first I was going to replace them both but then a friend suggested that I just replace my rear. I currently have Shinko 009 Ravens on the front and rear but I am thinking about switching to BT-023 Has anyone here tried this combo?

I only do casual street riding so I don't think that mixing the two will be a problem for me but I wanted to ask if anyone else has done it.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Of course you could do this but not only will you have a mismatch of tire manufactures but you also have a new tire and a worn tire. You probably will be fine but seeing the tire is the main component keeping you from hitting the pavement, is it worth taking the chance just to save a little money.

And even if you go with one tire you will always be thinking about it every time you take a tight turn or hit a wet road.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a similar setup to what you're thinking about.
I have a Shinko Raven up front and a Michelin PR2 on the rear. No issues whatsoever. Great traction in the twisties, smooth ride on straights.

Eventually I'll put a PR2 up front when the Shinko is ready to be replaced. I've read differing opinions on mismatched tires, but so far my experience has been that if the tires are in good shape it's not an issue. And by good shape I mean tread AND age.

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If you only do casual street riding you should be fine. When I fist got my fz it had a Bridgestone 023 up front and a Pirelli diablo on back, both tires were in good shape at the time but I had just got the bike so wasn't pushing that hard to find any differences. The diablo eventually wore out and I put a Shinko 009 on the back, at that time I was pretty comfortable on the bike and started noticing the front end pushing when going into turns. It only did it when I was pushing pretty hard so if you just plan on taking it easy in the corners then you should be just fine