Hard Cornering - Leaning while riding fast.

Kbula_Mexico

Reaction score
Visit site
While riding fast on corners, I just get invaded by the thinking that "anything can go wrong"... but anyway I just keep the hand on the throttle with a steady pulse and smooth riding...

What do you think it would be an "indicator" for safe fast cornering on these conditions:

1.-Sunny day on highway.
2.-Under a rainy path.
2.1-Under heavy rain.
3.-Highway with oil spots.
4.-Highway with medium holes in the carpet.
5.-Highway with a little of gravel on it.

PS:
-How close to the ground can a bike go while cornering?
-How much of the tire's surface is enough to keep you on track while cornering?

Thanks for the advice!!!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do not condone this one ht street, or without being a professional, but here are some examples of how good i will never be...
PF-teamspirit_level.jpg

stoner_09gp06_0957_an.jpg

20061009a326l.jpg

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
you need to read twist of the wrist, like right now! when you get done with that, or during, slow down until you know what you're doing.

However, I'm a firm believerin just answering the damn question, so here goes.

on a sunny day- ride with in you comfort level
on a rainiy day-ride within your comfort level
with pot holes- countersteer, dont look at them
gravel- avoid forever!

the bike can handle alot more than you can throw at it at this point, However, if you throw it the wrong way, the bike will reject the action and you. dont try to be faster, try to be better. Read, and take a course if you can ( I didnt take a course). I have watched so many videos and read alot of books and I got about 15000mi of experience, so I think I'm clear of the noob category. Asking those questions makes you an obvious noob, so you should definetly take it slow, dont worry about lean angle. If you have to steer harder into a turn, the last thing you need to worry about is how far you can go, you need to just lean the damn thing over and lowside if you have to, the alternative is way worse. Ride safe
:rockon:

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
I do not condone this one ht street, or without being a professional, but here are some examples of how good i will never be...
PF-teamspirit_level.jpg

stoner_09gp06_0957_an.jpg

20061009a326l.jpg

Keep in mind, the fz6 pegs will touch down before you get this far over. Dont want anyone to get the wrong idea.

W

wrightme43

Read books by much wiser men, and practice. Slow down is the best advice I can give you.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Those questions are unanswerable. I read someone saying "if you get through a corner and you felt a little anxious when you are in it, you were going too fast. Slow down for the next one." Seems like good advice. And general riding theory says go in slow, accelerate out to stand the bike back up.

Postal1979

Reaction score
Visit site
Keep in mind, the fz6 pegs will touch down before you get this far over. Dont want anyone to get the wrong idea.

Looks like the last pic his peg is actually hitting the ground and bending up.
I recently noticed that i take turns into my neighborhood pretty tight. Im comforatble with it and seems natural, but there has been a few times that the toe side of my boot has hit the blacktop and kinda shocked me for a sec. When I took my g/f on the back and did the turn out of habit, she wasnt used to it and didnt go with bike. She tried leaning the other way and I really had to push the damn bike down to get it to turn. Trust me, when we pulled back into the garage I was like wtf dont do that! :spank: Keep your body with the bike. It wants to rise up like a top. Now shes fine with it and understands.
Just get comfortable with the turning. youll end up going tighter and tighter.

CarpeNoctumDC

Reaction score
Visit site
While riding fast on corners, I just get invaded by the thinking that "anything can go wrong"... but anyway I just keep the hand on the throttle with a steady pulse and smooth riding...
KBula:
If you haven’t taken both the MSF RiderCourse I would strongly advise both the basic and the advanced courses....

You never know completely what the road is until after you’ve passed it. My first accident on my current bike was on a sunny day halfway through a turn and ran across the slightest dusting of sand. Going 35mph I did $3500 in damage to my new bike @ 8 weeks old… (That takes talent/lack thereof)

Thing about fast cornering is that centrifugal force wants the bike to be upright... But outside the racetrack you never know what on the road will take you down...

In the desert (California / Nevada / Utah) I routinely kept it over 120… Here in St. Louis I would never push it that fast for all the reasons you asked - I rarely go more than 5 over the speed limit here… Just because its a sunny day doesn’t mean something wont appear in front of you (water / debris / animal / gravel etc..)

As far as how close the bike can go to the ground: I used to scrape my pegs all the time until I went so far as knee scraping... NOT a good idea in shorts...

Figuring out what went wrong while your flat on your back is not a good way to end a ride…

-=- George

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Leave the feelers on the bottom of the pegs is my advice. These (in combination with good tires...not the OEM garbage) will let you know you are going over too far for the road realistically, and that's in top conditions.

I've scraped my pegs on Pilot roads in the wet on a bend with great new hotmix and good camber, but you need to know the road, your tires and your bike very well before trying that kind of thing and I'd recommend not doing it unless you are a little loopy:D.

If you have good tires on and you are very smooth on a good dry road they will squirm well before they let go but this will vary with temperature, humidity and type of surface. The distance from squirm beginning to "OMFG I'm sideways" is very very small in the wet (read almost nonexistant).

Pre riding a road is a great idea if you're about to go for a hoot along it, but remember, even then your track knowledge will be stale as a car could have gone through just behind you and thrown gravel on the road Or crashed.

On a nice clear twisty open road (if you have access to such a thing) you can see how far it takes you to bail out of a bend or avoid a pretend object at slow speed to give you an idea of how far you need to see to be able to avoid an obsitacle if you have to. You sholud always ride slow enough that you can see far enough ahead to avoid problems. Don't be afraid to practise these kinds of things a little bit at a time in a safe place with good visibilty. I'd rather look a bit silly and have the skills when i need them.

I've ridden a lot of night twisty rides and this sort of routine has kept me from hitting loads of fallen branches, washouts and rocks, but not the 4WD's. They are coming towards you and will reduce the amount of available time to bail out.:(

Hope this helps and remember to not push your limits too much when trying to improve your skills...take it slow and easy and your skills will progress:thumbup:

Cheers
Mike

Kbula_Mexico

Reaction score
Visit site
you need to read twist of the wrist, like right now! when you get done with that, or during, slow down until you know what you're doing.

dont try to be faster, try to be better.
Asking those questions makes you an obvious noob, so you should definetly take it slow, dont worry about lean angle. If you have to steer harder into a turn, the last thing you need to worry about is how far you can go, you need to just lean the damn thing over and lowside if you have to, the alternative is way worse. Ride safe
:rockon:

Ok, I just revised that book and it is cheap, so I will buy it with no further questions.
I just go fast on straight roads by now, cause I'm a noob, you are right. It's just that I am very excited about riding a bike... so I will go slow, for my own safety... asking around will not get me hurt, right? ;)

Kbula_Mexico

Reaction score
Visit site
When I took my g/f on the back and did the turn out of habit, she wasnt used to it and didnt go with bike. She tried leaning the other way and I really had to push the damn bike down to get it to turn. Trust me, when we pulled back into the garage I was like wtf dont do that! :spank: Keep your body with the bike. It wants to rise up like a top. Now shes fine with it and understands.
Just get comfortable with the turning. youll end up going tighter and tighter.

Jeez, I'm just asking about cornering, but am FAR from riding with someone :p

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I just revised that book and it is cheap, so I will buy it with no further questions.
I just go fast on straight roads by now, cause I'm a noob, you are right. It's just that I am very excited about riding a bike... so I will go slow, for my own safety... asking around will not get me hurt, right? ;)

Nope, you should ask plenty of questions and obsorb all the knowledge you can. trust me, the majority of the peole on this site are more than willing to help.

xnay

Reaction score
Visit site
Buddy up with another biker with a similar bike who is a bit more experienced. Then you can follow his line and see how far you can go. He'll also show you what's a head of you on the road, so you'll have some more time to react.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
There are so many variables when cornering there is no standard set of rules you can follow the difference on a wet day after recent rain with warm and cold tyres, or after heavy rain over an extended periods on warm or cold tyres, or those same situations but with a light gravel or oil spill on the road can mean massively different results from the same actions.

Also be careful following another persons line, it can lead to issues because your line is dependant on your speed, lean and acceleration through the corner, not to mention your braking beforehand and any obstacles on the road, vision and possible hazards.

Its great to learn from someone elses line on the road if they have really good technique but if your following someone more skilled who isn't taking into account your experience you could end up in alot of trouble :(

Don't push your limits too hard, and ride safe and you'll definately slowly develop your skills and you'll acheive the lean. That being said the safety courses will teach you faster and better and how/when the lean is necesary!

neonking2

Reaction score
Visit site
DSC_3281.jpg

peg grounding foot burning hero bobbins removed
DSC_4023.jpg

$200new boots ruined and foot grazed
28082009098.jpg

smiling for days

fz6 will go lower than you dare espesh if you put rearsets on :rockon:

BIGGEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE MIGHT SOUND SIMPLE BUT ITS TRUE

"look where you wanna go!, and the bike will do the rest"