Handling/Turning concern

erickz

Reaction score
Visit site
I just resurrected a FZ600 this weekend...noticing that when I turn the bike it really wants to turn into the curve. (Turn right and you need to keep pressure on the right grip or the bike will turn in on itself). I've ridden BMW road bikes on the street - this is my first non German road bike. Is this "turn in" tendency normal? It looks like my R1100 has a touch more rake than the Yamaha so that may be what I am noticing. Thoughts?
Thanks

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you done the sensible checks - tyre pressure, tyre wear, headstock bearings, wheel alignment? All those will affect turn in and cornering behaviour. As for keeping pressure on the "inside" bar, that'll only encourage tipping into the corner (it's counter steering). Body position maybe? I find that that the more I try to steer the bike, the less well it rides; it seems to get on much better when I leave it to sort itself out with only gentle suggestions required as to where I'd like it to go - no idea about BMW's, but maybe they like more rider input?

erickz

Reaction score
Visit site
Did the suspension review but will go back over it in more detail. Saw on another thread about raising the forks in the triple tree 10mm, may try that as well. Thanks

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did the suspension review but will go back over it in more detail. Saw on another thread about raising the forks in the triple tree 10mm, may try that as well. Thanks

Before you make any changes, make sure you are starting with a healthy bike. I just answered a similar question and I shared my story about my low front tire pressure causing the same feelings. First fix, then modify. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Aggreed... look and fix the obvious first... tires and tire pressure come to mind as squared of tires make for miserable riding machine (so they say). All the twisty roads here I end up chucking tires for no tread on the sides vs squared. Which makes it really fall in unpredictability when their shape is like an arrow head.

As a side note, the factory oil fill level is there to provide a minimum oil level that is equal on both sides. Adding oil above the suggested amount reduces the air space during compression stroke which also reduces nose dive.

I have early R6 forks and adding 1.25" above the 4.25" stock fill level may have helped another issue but I need more ride time to confirm.

Point: adding equal of amounts of oil to both forks (above stock fill levels) can help compression induced nose dive and in my case it reduced head chatter when going down hill and braking hard while leaned over.