Handlebars

AcesLA07

Reaction score
Visit site
I want to get used to the riding position of other street bikes and want some lower, shorter handlebars. Any suggestions?

Also, how difficult is it to replace handlebars? I'm a noob.

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry dont have pics. I rotated my handlebars backwards, and I love the way it feels. If your looking for a sportbike riding position, forget about it. The change did feel alot sportier and comfortable, it also lowers you by an inch or so. I know there will be disagreements on that but I'm considering the fact that the handlebars are now angled downward. The only bad part is that now my grips touch the tank when turned all the way. Alot of people dont like this, but I never turn my bars all the way to one side when riding and I dont use the already worthless fork lock. If someone wants your bike, their gonna take it, if you want piece of mind, get lojack. Anyway, this just might be something you wanna try before spending money. It is not hard at all to adjust the handle bars. just undo the 4 screws on the clamp and rotated. When you find the desired position, you will have to rotate the brake fluid thing, brakes levers ect. accordingly. :welcome:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree that you should read through that thread. Great stuff, and what made me decide to go with '06 FZ1 handlebars.

To answer a couple FAQ...yes, the stock bar ends will work with '06 FZ1 handlebars. No, your grips won't hit the tank (you just have to get the angle right...I have about 1/2" clearance on each side of the tank at full-lock).

And bars, unless you go with something like Suburban Machinery bars ($165...yikes!) aren't expensive, so it's easy to experiment. My FZ1 bars were $36 from the dealer, FYI.

AcesLA07

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys. Btw my handlebars aren't stock either. They were on there from the previous owner and are wider than the stocks yikes!

AcesLA07

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I jus looked through that thread and this seems like an awesome option that I would like to do but I have no idea how to. Where do I even start? Is this something I should even try to tackle having no knowledge about what to do or where to start?

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
If I can swap out the handlebars by myself, then anyone can do it...lol. Seriously, it's a lot easier than it seems. With the FZ1 bar, you just need to either drill 1 hole on the left underside of the bar (the exact same hole is already there on the right side). This hole is where the little nub on the inside of the turn-signal housing inserts into the bar to keep the housing from rotating on the bar. Some people have also cut the nub off, but I wanted to keep it to make sure it was secure.

It took me about 30 minutes, start to finish, to swap them. Just keep track of any little parts you remove from the kill-switch and turn signal housings when you have them open and you'll do fine.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
AThe FZ1 bars work great. I just did it about a month ago. Way more comfortable. I don't know if there is a difference between years but I got the 2007 year. With the grip puppies and my new Top Saddlery seat I am set. :thumbup:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, mx, the only reason I mentioned that I used '06 FZ1 bars is because, in reading through the thread posted above, that was what someone else said would definitely work with the stock bar ends. I figured other model years (at least the newer model years) would work, but I didn't want to give out bad info just in case...lol.

Thanks for confirming that the '07 FZ1 bars work too! :thumbup:

AcesLA07

Reaction score
Visit site
Well thanks guys. I'll try and order a bar after I get back from Vegas. I've been saving to go to Vegas for my 21st so I'll have enough to support a bank roll for 1/2 NL after buying this motorcycle and all the gear and I can't get my cd out the bank just yet lol. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions when I get it haha.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
If I can swap out the handlebars by myself, then anyone can do it...lol. Seriously, it's a lot easier than it seems. With the FZ1 bar, you just need to either drill 1 hole on the left underside of the bar (the exact same hole is already there on the right side). This hole is where the little nub on the inside of the turn-signal housing inserts into the bar to keep the housing from rotating on the bar. Some people have also cut the nub off, but I wanted to keep it to make sure it was secure.

It took me about 30 minutes, start to finish, to swap them. Just keep track of any little parts you remove from the kill-switch and turn signal housings when you have them open and you'll do fine.
If you take a look at my site in my signature, click on FZ6 mods and then Renthal bars, you can see how easy it is to grind off the "nubbins" to make the switches etc freely rotatable.

Also, any 22mm bar will fit. You can even use one off a stock Suzuki etc if you like the angle etc. Just remember that the nice heavy FZ6 stock barends won't fit!

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably not, aces, but I wouldn't even go to that much trouble. Just go to the nearest Yamaha dealer and tell them you want to order a '06 FZ1 handlebar. It should be less than $40. Mine shipped out of their warehouse in Alabama (I think...or maybe it was Mississippi) and it only took 2 days to get to Kentucky. Since you're in Tennessee, it shouldn't take long at all.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also take a look at Ron Ayers site. They are very inexpensive for OEM parts. You can find the part by drilling through the online fiche. Any 2006 or later FZ1 will give you the bar you are looking for.

AcesLA07

Reaction score
Visit site
Also take a look at Ron Ayers site. They are very inexpensive for OEM parts. You can find the part by drilling through the online fiche. Any 2006 or later FZ1 will give you the bar you are looking for.

Sorry for bein a noob but who's Ron Ayers and whats his site?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought I looked under all of the proper categories... I was wrong! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!