Handguards (for the wind)

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

Curious if anyone has fitted handguards to a 7/8ths inch bar (I have clip ons, not the standard FZ bars anymore) - and if so, how they fit with sportbike controls instead of a dirtbike setup, since most handguards are designed for that.

I'm looking at securing them to the end of my bar just outside of the grip - thoughts?

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
warm gloves dont cut it all the time!! I have ridden with snow starting to come down and my hands were still numb after 30 min....

I have been looking into guards as well...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

Curious if anyone has fitted handguards to a 7/8ths inch bar (I have clip ons, not the standard FZ bars anymore) - and if so, how they fit with sportbike controls instead of a dirtbike setup, since most handguards are designed for that.

I'm looking at securing them to the end of my bar just outside of the grip - thoughts?

I've seen in done (online only). Never seen it on clip-ons though. I'm sure it do it without issues, since you've got a naked bike and you don't need to worry about hitting the fairing at full lock.

I believe there are several hand guards out there which mount to the end of the bar (I think V-Strom uses his approach).

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Plus - I have wanted to do this since I saw the video last year...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_j5pRuQhak"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_j5pRuQhak[/ame]

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Greg in the UK & UK Mod has some very nice hand guards. He also has a picture on here somewhere?

Nelly:thumbup:

Ramarius

Two wheel addict
Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a set of cycra hand guards for one of my other bikes, I will hold them up to it and kind of see what it would take to mount them. It'll be tomorrow before I can get back to you though.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a set of Bagsters. They are more like mittens than handguards. Riding in zero degree temps even with heated gloves were not enough last year. I needed something extra. They take a bit getting use to, especially whenever you try to activate your turn signals or horn. You cannot see your controls, but it's not an issue for me since I know where they are and you should never be looking at them anyways.

20131030_182028_zpse1512435.jpg

20131030_181955_zpse4036535.jpg

20131030_181937_zpsfceddcda.jpg

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a set of Bagsters. They are more like mittens than handguards. Riding in zero degree temps even with heated gloves were not enough last year. I needed something extra. They take a bit getting use to, especially whenever you try to activate your turn signals or horn. You cannot see your controls, but it's not an issue for me since I know where they are and you should never be looking at them anyways.

20131030_182028_zpse1512435.jpg

20131030_181955_zpse4036535.jpg

20131030_181937_zpsfceddcda.jpg

Those are awesome looking! Just like the 'pogies' we use in cold weather kayaking, with more room for controls of course.

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got these last week, 3rd pair I have owned. These are not to big like the others and are easy to get your hand back in at speed.They also have a wire ring around the entry to keep it open. And look at that price!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055DN4GE/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]KATAHDIN GEAR KG GAUNTLETS W/WIRE OPENING - BLACK KG01134 : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got these last week, 3rd pair I have owned. These are not to big like the others and are easy to get your hand back in at speed.They also have a wire ring around the entry to keep it open. And look at that price!

KATAHDIN GEAR KG GAUNTLETS W/WIRE OPENING - BLACK KG01134 : Amazon.com : Automotive

I had a pair that looked similar to those. They kept my hands warm very nicely. I did find at higher speeds the wind would collapse them on to the leavers which was a pain as it caused front brake drag.
Have you experienced any similar issues?

Nelly

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

kierran87

Reaction score
Visit site

kierran87

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a pair that looked similar to those. They kept my hands warm very nicely. I did find at higher speeds the wind would collapse them on to the leavers which was a pain as it caused front brake drag.
Have you experienced any similar issues?

Nelly

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Got anything similiar to this we can buy in the U.K?

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Hand Guards

I just installed some Powermadd Star handguards on my 2007. It was a fairly straightforward install. With my FZ6R handlebar and my 1"back/1"up risers, they just contact the front fairing at full turning lock, but not enough to interfere with the steering lock.

I haven't taken any pictures yet, but do a search on here for "powermadd" and you'll find a few threads with pictures.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Hand Guards

FYI, If you go with the Powermadd Star's, make sure you go with the ATV/moto mount kit, not the snowmobile mount kit. You want the one with the two curved brackets to go around the levers. See the amazon link to see the difference.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AVU0X0/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=automotive]Amazon.com: PowerMadd 34252 Trail Star/Star Series Black ATV/Moto Handguard Mount Kit: Automotive[/ame]

Actually, I saw a couple weeks ago a 2004 FZ6 in a parking lot with I'm pretty sure it was this style Powermadd handguards. They looks like they're pretty easy on and off, and keep a good bit of wind off your hands. Not sure if they'd hit the fairings though.
PowerMadd | Wyoming, MN | SG1

I also have a pair of these, which keep your hands very warm, but at highway speeds the wind does tend to push them in towards the levers.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/53/218/962/-/15583/Tusk-Hand-Mitts

Last edited:

Ramarius

Two wheel addict
Reaction score
Visit site
The Cycra pro bend look like they will almost fit. If your handy with making a couple of spacers it wouldn't be a problem. But dirt bike guards might look a little funny on a fizzer :D