Hailing from Jersey City, NJ, USA

Chopstick

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

I figured I'd stop by here since I'm looking to pick up an '07 FZ6 in the next few weeks. This is going to be my first bike. (Yes, I read your post SportRider_FZ6 :p)

To preempt the questions, yes, I'm taking the MSF BRC class this weekend and plan on taking the ERC class before the end of the riding season. I bought the Guide to Proficient Motorcycling and Sport Riding Techniques and have purchased a Shoei helmet, Dainese jacket, Teknic armored gloves, Sidi Dohas and Icon reinforced jeans. :p ATGATT

But anyways, 22 year old hailing from Jersey City, NJ working long days in Manhattan. I'm a desk jockey for 70 hours a week and I really needed to get off my ass so I got interested in bikes. (Not to mention my friend has a Ducati 998) Also, to add to the irony of my owning a bike, I'm a NYS EMT-B.

But, just wanted to say hi. I'll be posting pics of the bike eventually. I think I'm going to get the slower silver color though.

thatguyx

Reaction score
Visit site
weclome chopstick.

I'm usually in JC, but not with the bike. I live down in Edison. MSF BRC is good way to get your license and you learn a lot of valuable lessons. Just make sure you practice them. The ERC class is usually, but if anything I'd recommend taking it after a full season and racking up a couple thousand miles. With a 70hr work week, you may or may not be able to get enough time to ride.

Good move on the gear. Nice to see you got everything first. Most people don't take that into consideration when buying a bike and then end up piecing gear together later... unfortunately some people don't make it long enough before they can get what they need. Proficient Motorcycling and Sport Riding Techniques (I own the SRT book) are both great books. Another good book to look into once you're more comfortable on the bike is Lee Parks Total Control.

Aside from that, enjoy the MSF BRC, get yoru license and bike. Take it easy at first and have fun.

Chopstick

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, the work weeks are killer. I'm hoping I can find some decent places to ride and break my bike in. (<7k RPM on the highways probably isn't going to cut it?) Kind of wish there were some back country roads around here for that, but c'est la vie.

Know any reputable dealers around Edison? I was actually window shopping around that area (...sort of) last weekend. (Monmouth Cycles, Stumpy's, etc.)

Thanks for the welcome!

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
Jersey here too, about 45 minutes west of you and there are beautiful roads here, much better than in JC. We do a lot of work in JC and I'm not sure if riding there would be all that fun. Definitely need to pay attention there.

Ride safe:Sport:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, my Mah's originally from Jersey City, does that count?

What kind of work do you do that keeps you so busy?

Congrats on the bike and good job with the gear and rider's course. You should try and get out into the mountains (Catskills perhaps) at some point this summer and enjoy that thang....

ADK2OBX

Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings, Good Luck and welcome.! Was born in New Brunswick live in upstate of NY now but the Hungarian side of the family all live in the Edison and Ford area...anyways have fun its a great bike and this is a great forum with a wealth of knowledge tips.!:rockon:

Chopstick

Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of work do you do that keeps you so busy?

Congrats on the bike and good job with the gear and rider's course. You should try and get out into the mountains (Catskills perhaps) at some point this summer and enjoy that thang....

I code a lot. Too much some days. I've kind of lost motivation for it lately. The first 8 months, I was pushing 80-90 hours a week and I'm kind of burnt out now. I'm hoping a bike will ease that burnt out feeling a bit.

I'm definitely going to try to make it out to the mountains sometime this summer. I'm kind of hoping to make it up to Canada sometime this year.

Chopstick

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I program all day.

Yeah, the Canada trip is going to need a better seat than the stock one. Random question, is the lower cowl worth anything more than just looks?

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome Aboard Bro.
Edison here, I use to live on Grove Street Downton JC. Since you're an
EMT-B you must bring some "clients" to my old stomping ground, Christ Hospital. I know almost all the nurses there. But anyways, this is great site to visit and find out more about "our" passion.... the FZ6.
Pull up a chair anytime and hang around.
:Sport:
PS: I think there's talk about an upstate ride to NY sometime this summer. I will be heading out there next month or so, if not Canada, Ehh.

Chopstick

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I've been to Christ Hospital once or twice? Not a bad place. Certainly better than St. Mary's.

I'd definitely be up for an NY ride. I'll have to work on my skills so I don't slow you guys down.

Also, any of you guys hear anything good or bad about Stumpy's Yamaha?

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I've been to Christ Hospital once or twice? Not a bad place. Certainly better than St. Mary's.

I'd definitely be up for an NY ride. I'll have to work on my skills so I don't slow you guys down.

Also, any of you guys hear anything good or bad about Stumpy's Yamaha?

Never heard of Stumpy's Yamaha, but I did buy my FZ6 from Monmouth Cycles in Middletown. The sales rep name is Matt and he was very helpfull, there's two Matt over by MC look for the taller of the two, lol.:Sport:

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
lol, I am not a "****ing little island person" :Flip:

Half Chinese and half German. Really messed up, I know. Makes it even worse that I have a really waspy name.

I was thinking more in line with FUNNY, instead of ****ing. LOL

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the site! I have some friends who lived in some nice high risers in Jersey City right across from Manhatten. '07+ bikes are either red/yam blue or cobalt blue/black, but no silver. Excellent bike. Smart move getting the gear ahead of time. 7000rpm on the highway is plenty for the beginning - I think it translates to around 80mph in 6th gear. Take it wasy in the beginnning. Sometimes I feel that every first bike should be a used bike that you just don't care as much as newwer bikes. My first bike was a Ninja 500 which I consider perfect for that purpose. You can buy it, learn on it, use it and then sell it for the same price pretty much.
Enjoy!
Dani

Chopstick

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the site! I have some friends who lived in some nice high risers in Jersey City right across from Manhatten. '07+ bikes are either red/yam blue or cobalt blue/black, but no silver.
That's sad. I hear the silver is faster. :(

Excellent bike. Smart move getting the gear ahead of time. 7000rpm on the highway is plenty for the beginning - I think it translates to around 80mph in 6th gear. Take it wasy in the beginnning.
Yeah, I definitely plan on taking it easy. I have one or two friends that ride, but I'm not going to ride with them till I feel more comfortable on the bike. There's a ginormous parking lot at the grocery store across the street where I'm probably going to spend a few hours at.

Sometimes I feel that every first bike should be a used bike that you just don't care as much as newwer bikes. My first bike was a Ninja 500 which I consider perfect for that purpose. You can buy it, learn on it, use it and then sell it for the same price pretty much.
Enjoy!
Dani
I agree with you whole heartedly (Ironic, I know) but I just have this urge to get the FZ6. My original starter was going to be a GS500E/F. Then it moved up to an SV650, then a YZF600R/ZZR600 and then I read about the FZ6 and was like, oooo, must have. (Must be the squid in me, but at least I'm a fully geared squid. Not like that makes it any better...)