Gunpowder Smell?

FazrDan

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I know this sounds crazy but.. sometimes, when I'm riding, I get a whiff of something that smells just like gunpowder. I think it is when I shift gears. I don't sense it every time I shift gears and its not every ride but once in a great while it smells just exactly like when you shoot a gun. Oil is not low and I'm not experiencing any mechanical problems at all.

Anyone ever experience the same?

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
thats pretty weird dude. i know exactly the smell you're talking about, but that you would smell it on the bike is strange.

Suggestion: after a ride that you notice the smell. inspect your bike when you stop. just sniff around and see if you can try to pinpoint it.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You sure you're not riding past a shooting range at the time !!! :BLAA: :justkidding:.... I have never had that smell before but you will more than likely find that it is leaves or road grime being burnt by your exhaust :thumbup:

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
You sure you're not riding past a shooting range at the time !!! :BLAA: :justkidding:.... I have never had that smell before but you will more than likely find that it is leaves or road grime being burnt by your exhaust :thumbup:

agree with the road grime. could also be some kind of grease/lube breaking down. i'd give it a thorough wash and maybe an oil change while you're at it.

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Shot clays myself and know the smell.

Best guess is the area behind the sprocket cover - that always builds up a good glob of grime/chain lube around the output shaft and the back of the block plus the cover itself - and possibly the top of the level part of the exhaust before the cat which traps the usual detritus of tar and leaves.

I gave mine a thorough clean behind the cover and all is now fine. The smell I would reckon is dependant upon which brand of chain lube you use.

Could also be that you pass several gun ranges on your rides!! :D