Guess where this Goes!!!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's easy. It's a tape measure and it goes in your toolbox! Now what the hell is that friggin thing underneath it?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its a receiver hitch pin that ensures your trailer NEVER MAKES IT to its destination without total detachment! :thumbup:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If it didn't have those big aluminum bumpers on each end I'd opt for hammered Wrist Pin from an engine.

Raptorman53

Reaction score
Visit site
If it didn't have those big aluminum bumpers on each end I'd opt for hammered Wrist Pin from an engine.

Well it is a wrist pin! Good job.

depu9y5a.jpg

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats the first wrist pin I've seen with such largly tappered ends...

What kind / brand of engine? With such a large bore and flat top piston, a big block of some sort?

And the rings seem really deep (far from the top of the piston) like maybe a diesel.

ETA:

Googled the piston markings and looks like its from a prop plane engine. Continental brand.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And the rings seem really deep (far from the top of the piston) like maybe a diesel.

ETA:

Googled the piston markings and looks like its from a prop plane engine. Continental brand.

I think most diesel pistons are dished, an airplane engine, I'd tend to agree. I looked up the #'s too and couldn't find anything...

Thanks, we'll see..

Raptorman53

Reaction score
Visit site

ETA:

Yep. Continental TSIO-520-WB installed on my 1976 Beech 58P. That piston has about 1100 hours of use. We ended up replacing all the jugs after we found this.

View attachment 48893

Turns out ECI had a bad batch of jugs. All of ours fell in the serial number range. The inside looks nice and clean for those hours though.

View attachment 48894

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well it is a wrist pin! Good job.

depu9y5a.jpg

You maintain the AFR via EGT? Looks lean from the burn. Almost thought it was from an alcohol fuel but those keep pistons clean. Q? Is it a bearing on the wrist pin or a bushing and why is it so torn up?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep. Continental TSIO-520-WB installed on my 1976 Beech 58P. That piston has about 1100 hours of use. We ended up replacing all the jugs after we found this.

View attachment 48893

Turns out ECI had a bad batch of jugs. All of ours fell in the serial number range. The inside looks nice and clean for those hours though.

View attachment 48894

At least its good you found the problem with all three wheels on the ground...

Raptorman53

Reaction score
Visit site
You maintain the AFR via EGT? Looks lean from the burn. Almost thought it was from an alcohol fuel but those keep pistons clean. Q? Is it a bearing on the wrist pin or a bushing and why is it so torn up?

I use the TIT gauge to manage the AFR. I run at least 100 rich of peak. So, it's pretty clean considering. It's a bushing. As for the condition of the pin I'm not sure. It was that way when I went by the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raptorman53

Reaction score
Visit site
At least its good you found the problem with all three wheels on the ground...

I'm glad I found it on the ground too. :)All the gauges checked fine on the run up. The plane just didn't feel right. So, I told the pax we were not going, taxied to MX, took the cowling off and found the bad piston.

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad I found it on the ground too. :)All the gauges checked fine on the run up. The plane just didn't feel right. So, I told the pax we were not going, taxied to MX, took the cowling off and found the bad piston.

Good on you for being astute enough to notice there was a problem despite normal readings. :thumbup:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Corvair car engine. Converted for aircraft use? I am assuming for a homebuilt LSA.

Correct!
Appears it once was a PRE 1965 Chev Corvair flat 6 145c.i. air cooled engine @102hp w/ a half @as conversion. I was LMA when I saw it as it doesn't rate too air worthy IMO.

We used to run the 165c.i. ones in sand rails. Had the 4 1bbls and factory rated at 140hp.
A Google image
corvair engine - Google Search