Group Riding/Hand Signals

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I've been traveling very frequently and it feels like a torture since I have "new" things for my bike (seat, levers, seat bag, and multiple Bluetooth devices to intercom).

On Saturday, I had an opportunity to go for a quick ride with my friend and as we were riding, we got a signal from another motorcyclist (on the opposite lane) tapping the top of his helmet (several times) with the left hand.
Initially we had not idea what it meant, I was going to ask here but I have barely had an opportunity to check the forum, so, I got a couple of minutes (in one of my trips) and searched online. I found a nice link:
Riding Etiquette
By the way, I do not recall finding any hazard (or police) as I think it related to the hand signal we saw (the interpretation of a police came from another friend).

Today I had an opportunity to search here to see if this link was posted before (which I do not think so) but I also found this very useful post:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...ce-experienced-group-ride-leaders-needed.html

I have pending to post some new pictures as my bike is changing with new things!!!!!:D

Either way, I just wanted to share the link I found.

clrd_2_lnd

Reaction score
Visit site
Each time the tap on the helmet has happended to me it's been a cop, just happended to me today a kid in a car was tapping the top of his roof to warn me of a cop ahead, first time for that!

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
I've always been taught that tapping on your head means that there is a cop ahead. Even my MSF course taught that.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the additional links.

We did not have the highbeams on.

I do not recall a police around (maybe hiding somewhere?)

I'll need some time to remember many of this hand singnals.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Great thread with great links - good for a laugh.

And yes tapping your helmet means there is a cop or obstruction in the road coming up.

One I didn't see that I'm surprised because I use fairly often, is when on a group ride, while leading if you come across debris in the road, you being the leader would see it first. So you would swerve and point at the object as to give the riders behind you a heads up.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, good to know.

The "maximum" number of riders I've been riding with is three. So, not that big!!!!!

I think this weekend that might change since I'm planing on going to a charity ride, there might be lots of HDs ....

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great thread with great links - good for a laugh.

And yes tapping your helmet means there is a cop or obstruction in the road coming up.

One I didn't see that I'm surprised because I use fairly often, is when on a group ride, while leading if you come across debris in the road, you being the leader would see it first. So you would swerve and point at the object as to give the riders behind you a heads up.

Same here, #1 LEO - or it could be a safety hazard ahead. Generally I think it means think and it could even mean you're doing something or have a safety issue your self.

Another common one I see is, "Hey dummy, you left your directional signal on." The repeating fist to open 5 fingers. I get that one a lot.....:rolleyes: