Ground up metal bits in oil....?

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks wolfc70. The more that I think about the gear thing it seems to be the only thing that makes sense. The metal is magnetic as far as that goes. Seems that if there was a problem with a bearing sheding that much metal I'd know about it by now. Anything that falls into the pan settles and is filtered before being pumped through the engine so further damage should be minimal. I would guess it possible for the lower gears to shear and wear in for a while as most of the load is transfered through 6th gear since I mainly commute on the highways. I think at this point I will consult a dealer (when I can get there) then decide what to do. Might be best just to monitor - or at least pull the pan to see. Perhapse I panic to easily:D... I hope:eek:. Thanks to everyone for the input. :thumbup:

I personally would not visit the dealer. Since the metal was magnetic, and that much metal off a crankshaft would make catastrophic nose, it is gear wear. Change the oil and filter in a few hundred miles, I bet there will be little if any shavings. I suspect that the filter was not changed when it should have been. As a side note, I change the filter when I change the oil. Since gears always wear, there will be metal particles in the filter and going 8000 miles on a filter is too long IMHO. The $12 USD spent on a filter every oil change is cheap insurance that the oil stays as clean as possible.

audible

Hear Me?
Reaction score
Visit site
Also...A GOOD MOD is to swap out your factory oil-drain-plug with a magnetic tip oil-drain-plug. This will attract metal in the oil and when you change the oil, you simply wipe off any collection and feel good that its no longer in you engine....:thumbup:

Last edited:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Also...A GOOD MOD is to swap out your factory oil-drain-plug with a magnetic tip oil-drain-plud. This will attract metal in the oil and when you change the oil, you simply wipe off any collection and feel good that its no longer in you engine....:thumbup:

That's a good idea.
Could you recommend a plug to buy?

audible

Hear Me?
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a good idea.
Could you recommend a plug to buy?

Next time you change your oil...pull your drain-plug. Let it drain/drip while you take your drain-plug to Autozone/NAPA/etc. and match to a magnet one. Be CERTAIN you get one with the same thread size and no longer. A bit short is okay, but too long can spell big trouble.:noworries:

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
I personally would not visit the dealer. Since the metal was magnetic, and that much metal off a crankshaft would make catastrophic nose, it is gear wear. Change the oil and filter in a few hundred miles, I bet there will be little if any shavings. I suspect that the filter was not changed when it should have been. As a side note, I change the filter when I change the oil. Since gears always wear, there will be metal particles in the filter and going 8000 miles on a filter is too long IMHO. The $12 USD spent on a filter every oil change is cheap insurance that the oil stays as clean as possible.

All valid considerations. I agree that much metal off any/all bearings would seem like it would have to be really obvious by now. I too prefer to change the oil/filter more often to aviod damage to engine components if thats what it takes. :thumbup:

Also...A GOOD MOD is to swap out your factory oil-drain-plug with a magnetic tip oil-drain-plug. This will attract metal in the oil and when you change the oil, you simply wipe off any collection and feel good that its no longer in you engine....:thumbup:

Great idea. Less metal free to be pumped through the motor sounds good to me. Will look into finding *the* magnetic plug the next time I change the oil and post results. Preferably a plug with a magnet suitably attached - ie. I don't want the magnet to vibrate off/unglue from a cheap plug and... (roll eyes - with my luck it would happen).

Thanks all! :thumbup:

Last edited: