Grips

wely324

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the FZ1 handle bar but before I install it I want ot get new grips for it. I searched and could only find info on rizoma grips. My questions is that i want to find grips that will work the FZ1 handlebar without modifying the handlebar (the little knobby thing)? so basically the grips would have to work with the bike as if it was stock. I like the driven D-3 grips but I'm not sure if they will fit without modifications. I am open to any options.

Thanks.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
If I understand what you're saying correctly, the grips aren't the issue. Any grip that works with the stock handlebar will work with the FZ1 handlebar (they're the same diameter).

The issue with the FZ1 handlebars is that you need to drill a hole so the "little knobby thing" on the kill-switch housing (or is the the other side...I can't remember which it was) has a place to sit. Some people have opted to just cut the little knobby thing off, but I just drilled the hole so I wouldn't have any issues with the controls trying to move around the bar.

It's actually pretty easy to do. The other side of the FZ1 handlebar has the hole already there, so what I did was measure from the end of the handlebar to that pre-existing hole, then translate that to the side that needs the hole drilled. It worked like a charm.

wely324

Reaction score
Visit site
If I understand what you're saying correctly, the grips aren't the issue. Any grip that works with the stock handlebar will work with the FZ1 handlebar (they're the same diameter).

The issue with the FZ1 handlebars is that you need to drill a hole so the "little knobby thing" on the kill-switch housing (or is the the other side...I can't remember which it was) has a place to sit. Some people have opted to just cut the little knobby thing off, but I just drilled the hole so I wouldn't have any issues with the controls trying to move around the bar.

It's actually pretty easy to do. The other side of the FZ1 handlebar has the hole already there, so what I did was measure from the end of the handlebar to that pre-existing hole, then translate that to the side that needs the hole drilled. It worked like a charm.

very helpful, i think i am going to stick with the stock grips and put grip puppies over them when i install the new handlebar.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I used my Dremel to take off the little knobby thing and after I de-knobbified it, I had to cut up some rubber gloves and put that inbetween the handlebars and the controls to stop them sliding. Drilling the bars is easier, but you're not really meant to for strength etc! :BLAA: Also, it's hard to work out the best place to drill in.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ground the plastic tabs off as well. Zero issues with controls moving *shrug*.

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
I drilled the hole using the method CCHOUSEKY mentioned. It worked perfectly.

As far as grips, it's pretty easy to put new ones on, and they're cheap. Although it's difficult to find good looking ones, most of them are pretty tacky.

wely324

Reaction score
Visit site
i finished putting the fz1handle bar on and put on grip puppies this morning. The grip pppies are awesome and I even like the looks of them as well. They are very clean and simple looking.

thanks for the help