Grinding/sawing noise when warm.

the big read

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I battled for a few hours trying to change my sparks upgrading to iridiums. Plug #1 was an utter pain!

Once I had finished, I took her for a spin. All fine until it had really warmed up. Then it started making a reasonably loud rubbing noise, akin to someone sawing wood in time with the wheel rotation.

With the helmet on it's hard to tell what area the sound is coming from. I did take it to an abandoned car park and try riding without a helmet. Still struggled to pin point it. It only occurs while I'm riding.

The paranoia in me is wondering if that sound can be related to anything spark related that I did? I struggled like crazy trying to put the lead back into cylinder 1 yesterday. Could damage to that cause any noise of this description?

Performance is the same as it was before I changed the plugs.

It doesn't sound like a chain noise.

I also removed the rear hugger before I went out today. There was no sign of rubbing, per sè, but there was a clean strip along the centre.

EDIT: I will go out again soon and try to see if I can feel any new vibration incase it's the rear disc, but I don't see how it could have warped. It was garaged with noone else in there for the duration.

Any help or suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited:

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Is anything rubbing against the radiator fan? Spin it by hand with the engine off to see.

the big read

Reaction score
Visit site
That's a good shout. Unfortunately it seems to spin freely, with a little friction, which I assume it normal? All wires appear to be against the bracket.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm. Don't know. The "when warm" aspect has me lost. You only hear it when the bike is in motion? Push it around with the motor off to try and pin it down.

Off the wall notion: what sound would a poorly seated spark plug make? But I'd expect you would hear that at a stand still and experience some engine roughness.

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
When your riding along, keep it in gear and pull in the clutch and let the throttle off. See if the noise disappears. If it remains, it'll be something in the drive chain, wheels, or brakes.

Does the noise get faster as you go faster ?

Does it make the noise stationary ?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No, a plug change leading to grinding seems completely unrelated! If it were engine, it would remain at engine speed always. Gear box could change w/gear selection, drive speed is drive speed but may be induced by temperature.

When is the last time the wheels were off for inspection of hub and bearings?

We the rider tend to mask noise essentially absorbing it. With both knees tucked against the tank, cruise at light throttle and then point one knee out far. Listen. Tuck that knee and repeat with the other knee/leg pointed out.

I found that when the chain set gets dry and is begging for lube it gets pretty loud. Thus, sticking a leg out really lets the noise rise up to be heard.

• Check the chain, spin rear tire by hand looking for kinks, links that don't straighten on their own.
  • Check the disc temperature at all three disc (coast to a stop) and carefully check temps with a touch being wise that it may be really hot.
  • Inspect caliper and bads for gravel wedged into the surface. Lightly apply brake and rotate each wheel. If you have a center stand, throw a block of wood under the header to get the nose up and spin the wheels.

That's what comes to mind. It seems coincidental.

the big read

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Grinding/sawing noise when warm - I am an idiot.

Thank you all for your replies.

Yes, I'm not gonna lie, I have no idea how the spark plugs could have done anything in the way I had described. It just seemed strange how this noise suddenly started after I had done so.

It is definitely drive-train - I am an idiot :(. And I have narrowed it down to a totally knackered chain. It has needed replacing for some time. Unfortunately, other things in life required my time and money. I was due to buy a new kit this coming payday anyway.

It could be that my garage is at the end of a muddy alleyway, I guess. The chain is certainly quite gritty. I tend to leave it on the road for that reason, but I did have it in the garage to work on it this weekend.

I've always had a bit of chain noise and did my best to clean it recently when I first noticed a kink. No amount of elbow grease can fix that chain.

Because I have a totally insufficient paddock stand (buckles under the weight of the bike) at the moment, I am paying my local mechanic to fit my chain and sprockets when the arrive. At least that way I can blame any new problems on him!

This is what I'm ordering: Yamaha FZ6 DID Gold X-Ring Chain & Sprocket Kit | eBay