Greetings from oklahoma

RDY740

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone the names Riley. I just recently traded my cbr250 for a 04 FZ6 and I'm loving it. It was pretty banged up when I got it and I am slowly doing all the maintance to get it back up to brand new again. If there is anyone on here from Oklahoma let me know so we can go ride one day.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Riley, Welcome to the Forum!

Since you're fixing up your bike, this is a great place to get insight and tips.

I'm in WV which is not close. But there are more than a few on here from your state, particularly near OKC.

It's time to post some pics - even if you're not finished with her. You can show some in progress shots. :D

Chris

RDY740

Reaction score
Visit site
It was a straight trade. I'm hoping I'll up the value after I get done fixing it. There was also a crap ton of stickers on the tank and everywhere else that I removed from the bike. So far I have fixed a coolant leak, replaced the spark plugs and wires and also got a new air filter. Just doing that has made a huge difference. I need to replace the cam chain tensioner though, I hear some ticking on the right side of the bike, which after looking it up, that seems to be the case. It has around 25000 on it, so the valves will need to be checked in the near future. Still a bunch to do but I'm in love, have always wanted a bike like this. The only other things I have done are after market levers and a phone mount.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome aboard! Sounds like good progress so far! :thumbup:
From personal experience, chains don't tick so if you take care of the valve lash, the tick is there or --> Tap is what sounds like until you have a bunch of them doing it. Its not a bad job, just figure on spending a whole day doing it. Also there are a couple good threads on the topic Checking & Adjusting.... both are stickied so you'll find them.

RDY740

Reaction score
Visit site
The tank is really beat up. The guy that had it before me didn't know how to ride a bike. Only had it for a month and did a lot more than you think someone could to it. I plan on getting a new gas tank in the future. Hopefully repainting the whole bike and getting all new parts that are scratched up. And I guess it's not really a tick, it's more of a smack. The smack/tick will go away once the Rpms are up, that could be valves though too. I have a new cct coming in Friday, so I'll see if that fixes the noise, if not the valves will be my next guess. Thanks for the information!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The tank is really beat up. The guy that had it before me didn't know how to ride a bike. Only had it for a month and did a lot more than you think someone could to it. I plan on getting a new gas tank in the future. Hopefully repainting the whole bike and getting all new parts that are scratched up. And I guess it's not really a tick, it's more of a smack. The smack/tick will go away once the Rpms are up, that could be valves though too. I have a new cct coming in Friday, so I'll see if that fixes the noise, if not the valves will be my next guess. Thanks for the information!
Any chance for a video of the noise, I probably wouldn't be much help but others may better help diagnose the issue with by hearing it.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Any chance for a video of the noise, I probably wouldn't be much help but others may better help diagnose the issue by hearing it.

^^ + 5 and good call!
A short walk around (48sec)... Taps are pretty easily heard during the first and last 10seconds of play.
Soundcloud MP3 fz6 valve lash
Using an empty tube like from paper towels, place it to you ear and listen to where the noise comes from. A long wood dowel or screwdriver works too. The audio above; three valves where out of spec enough to make noise which should have been addressed back at 10,000 miles, did it at 20 and aside from being quiet, it runs much smoother and gets rid of a layer of vibrations. :thumbup:

RDY740

Reaction score
Visit site
^^ + 5 and good call!
A short walk around (48sec)... Taps are pretty easily heard during the first and last 10seconds of play.
Soundcloud MP3 fz6 valve lash
Using an empty tube like from paper towels, place it to you ear and listen to where the noise comes from. A long wood dowel or screwdriver works too. The audio above; three valves where out of spec enough to make noise which should have been addressed back at 10,000 miles, did it at 20 and aside from being quiet, it runs much smoother and gets rid of a layer of vibrations. :thumbup:

That sounds like the noise I'm having. I think it still won't hurt to put the new cct in there though. Looks like I need to get the feeler gauges out and get to work. Thanks for all the help by the way. I really appreciate it! I'll get a video tonight though to make sure that it might not be something else clanking around in there.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Vocaroo | Voice message

Here is a sound clip, around 30 seconds is when I start reving it and you can hear a buzzing sound

^^ gotta say I was a little reluctant to click on that! lol
OK - that's a new one to me. Primary sound is normal but on the decel it sounds off. Go with your gut and replace the CCT. It seems highly likely...

Excerpt from: Valve Adjustment thread...
This is just me but I pulled the CCT out for inspection. Be sure to Remove or at least loosen the cap BEFORE unbolting the CCT from the block.
- Remove the clutch cable bracket to make it easier to access the CCT bolts.
- To install it, Screw the adjuster CW, keep screw driver on CCT and start the bolts to secure CCT to block. If the Screw driver slips out & the CCT EXPANDS, retract it AGAIN!!!
- DO NOT try to force the CCT down using the mounting bolts with the CCT extended! Use screwdriver to retract it!!
Inspection found it was smooth and consistent. I also dropped fresh oil in it before returning it to service. Verify UP is UP when installing.

55623-cam-chain-tensioner-differences-img_20141123_164658_655-jpg

Last edited:

RDY740

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the write up! I will definitely use that for my installation. I wasn't really sure how to do it because there are not a lot of write ups on it.

Yes I do agree, I was a little reluctant to use that website but my sound cloud wasn't working:(

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the write up! I will definitely use that for my installation. I wasn't really sure how to do it because there are not a lot of write ups on it.

Yes I do agree, I was a little reluctant to use that website but my sound cloud wasn't working:(

So, backing up a bit. Glad you made an audio as mine was just some TAP sounds. And after adjustment it was very quiet. That said, when the engine accelerates, the crank pulls the chain tight at all three points as long as it continues to accelerate. At a stab;e RPM, the valve timing can get pretty wild as with decelerating IF the CCT is not holding tension.

Because yours is so obvious on decel, I'd venture to guess its stuck and the guides have since worn or something like that.

OUTLINE OF GUIDES, CHAIN & CCT: MAKE CERTAIN ALL THREE SIDES ARE TAUNT (NO SLACK)!! << applicable to cam removal/install...

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x685.
55635-valve-clearance-adjustment-dsc_7955-jpg

Keep us posted and I would not ride it if that's possible.

RDY740

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah my work is about 2 miles away from my house. I road it the first time in about a week today. We have had nothing but rain the past week. Today was the only nice day and it's back to raining again for another week. The new cct should be here Monday. I'm scared that there might be more damage underneath the cover. It is severely scratched up from the guy before me laying it over. I want to get a new cover before too long.

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah Bro :welcome:

Good trade :thumbup: i traded up from a wr426 and am in love with the fazer too (fazer sounds cool when im fazing past people) fz6 is what i call it when i just washed her and shes fzsexy lol

I'm out in Colorado but always down for a road trip once you get her running top notch again

RDY740

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah Bro :welcome:

Good trade :thumbup: i traded up from a wr426 and am in love with the fazer too (fazer sounds cool when im fazing past people) fz6 is what i call it when i just washed her and shes fzsexy lol

I'm out in Colorado but always down for a road trip once you get her running top notch again

Yeah I'm ready for this thing to be up and running right. It's still rideable but I'm taking it easy until I get all the parts.

My buddy and I are actually wanting to ride up to Colorado sometime in the future. I'll have to let you know when we are going to head up that way. The more bikers the better :rockon:

RDY740

Reaction score
Visit site
I found another leak from the clutch cover and fixed that and I also replaced the cct this weekend and all is good! It runs smooth and doesn't leak a drop of coolant or oil and doesn't make any noise at all. I want to thank everyone again for posting in this thread and helping me solve the problems. I really appreciate it. :thumbup: