Gravel

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a new rider and have heard horror stories about slipping on gravel so I had some questions. If I hit gravel at low speeds will the bike still slip out? Does there need to be lots of gravel to pose a hazard? Anyone with experience riding on and turning over gravel please chime in.

I will take gravel over wet leaves or a moist cattle crossings (yea this is Texas) in a turn any day! Basically stay calm, relaxed on the control inputs. Try to ride aa a moderate pace. If you see in front of you a batch of gravel, stand-up on your pegs and lean back slightly and GIVE it gas! Like dirt-bikes, this will make the front light and you will plough through. This applies to sand also. If you know you have to ride on gravel for some distance, drop the front tire pressure to 25 pounds and the rear to 30. It will make the tire more compliant on the rocky surface.

If you need to stop, use the back brake only. You can ride out a locked back tire easily on gravel. Trying this on a regular bike might be a prudent idea first.

Fred