GPS RAM Mount + 10% discount code!!

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Decided to try a GPS RAM mount for my Garmin Nuvi 260W. After much debate, I ended up going with a handlebar mount setup. I wanted something 'low profile' and not sticking up too high off my handlebars. I also purchased the RAM Ezy-Mount Quick Release system as I don't want to be leaving my GPS unit on the bike when I'm not on it and wanted a quick way to release the GPS cradle.

I found a great Canadian distrubutor for RAM products, GPScity.ca.

If anyone is thinking of ordering anything, here is a coupon code for a 10% discount on your order. Not sure how long it will be good for.

coupon.jpg

Now to the RAM Mount...

Here is exactly what I ordered:

x1 - RAM Mount Ezy-Mount Adapter
(Mfg. Part No. RAP-326 SKU: rap326)

x1 - RAM Mount Garmin nuvi 2xxW Zinc Coated U-Bolt Mount
( Mfg. Part No. RAM-B-149Z-GA25U SKU: ramb149zga25)

DSCF4807.JPG

DSCF4805.JPG

More pics and details here on my site: Boneman's FZ6 Site - GARMIN Nuvi 260W GPS RAM Mount

Last edited:

mkjeld76

USCG Retired
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the Garmin 2610 mounted on a ram mount and don't see any vibration to the gps the large rubber balls that clamp everything together may absorb any vibrations.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Boneman, I've got the same setup for my Nuvi 200 and it works perfectly. It's been on there (when I use the GPS, that is) for almost a year and I've never had a single issue with it, vibration-worries included.

You'll probably notice that the cradle will start to rub the color off the back of the GPS casing after a while. No worries, though. It doesn't affect the GPS in any way, other than cosmetically. :thumbup:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
^^Good to know! Thanks.

Now all I need to do is either hard wire in the 12VDC cable or add in a 12VDC outlet. Haven't quite decided on which. Pros and Cons to each setup.

Will probably got with installing the outlet as this will give me some flexibility if I need to use or change other devices. GPS can last 2-3 hours on batteries, so I could charge up my phone or MP3 player if needed and still use the GPS.

Burnspot

Reaction score
www.burningfiles.com
^^Good to know! Thanks.

Now all I need to do is either hard wire in the 12VDC cable or add in a 12VDC outlet. Haven't quite decided on which. Pros and Cons to each setup.

Will probably got with installing the outlet as this will give me some flexibility if I need to use or change other devices. GPS can last 2-3 hours on batteries, so I could charge up my phone or MP3 player if needed and still use the GPS.

I love the RAM mount holding my Garmin; however, I learned a little lesson not too long ago when I decided to adjust the position after a few years of use. Don't tighten the piece between the ball mounts too much or you'll end up with 3 pieces of aluminum. ;) Had to buy a replacement.

As for wiring, I hard wired mine to the battery; I already have an SAE plug for other crap and it seemed like the thing to do since the GPS holder doesn't leave the bike.

Burnspot

Reaction score
www.burningfiles.com
And of course you wired in an inline fuse with that right.....:thumbup:

IIRC, the wiring kit for my Quest had the inline fuse (been a couple years since I installed it). Been thinking about moving the mount to the side, but haven't decided yet. Here's mine with my old school GPS (strap is for my tankbag and has nothing to do with RAM Mount). Second pic is roughly what I get sitting in the seat (if my tank bag is expanded, this'll clear it nicely). You can see my SAE plug in the lower left of the first pic:

Last edited:

derf

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice setup Boneman, almost identical to mine.

I bought my RAM from gpscity.ca and I couldn't believe how it arrived so quickly.

I put it to the test the other night on a 3+ hour highway run and it didn't budge. It was also the right height to be visible at speed.

Where are you thinking of installing the 12v plug? Thats my weekend project and I'm thinking of the inner fairing but have a small reservation of drilling a hole, kinda permanent?

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Been scratching my head on that one too. I bought a weahter proof one with the spring loaded top cover like several other members here have used. Got it from Canadian Tire.

This is the one I bought:

stryken-albums-light-outlet-mod-picture2853-dscn1141.jpg

Stryken mounted his here:

stryken-albums-light-outlet-mod-picture2850-dscn1147.jpg

Full post here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/13728-headlight-outlet-mod.html

For the life of me I can't see how this location will work as when I position the outlet here, the fork will hit it if I do a full left turn. It's right at the end of the steering's travel, but personally I don't want anything conflicting with my forks/steering.

Must be a slight spacing difference between my 05 front faring and his 07/08 faring. (?)

This area seems to be the 'best' and most accessable for plugging in adapters and you don't have to drill into your faring.

I'll keep you posted on where I mount mine. Might do it this Sunday as I went to start my bike this morning and for the first time in 4.5 years, my battery was pretty much dead! I bought a trickle charger from WalMart last month ($45) so I guess I need to get the tank up and install the charger ends to the battery, so might as well wire in the 12VDC plug while I'm at it.

Last edited:

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I am just having to deal with this situation too. I have the trickle charger leads connected which ends in a fully waterproof SAE connection on the bike. Instead of wiring a seperate cigarette outlet I purchased an SAE to cigarette outlet connection. I got one with a cap but I will typically unplug the cigarette outlet when I am not charging a device. So basically the outlet will just be a longer piece of the charging cord not a permanent fixture. I knwo that may not help with a more permanent option like a GPS but since the SAE connection is smaller than a cigarette outlet this may offer some other options.

Last edited:

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I am just having to deal with this situation too. I have the trickle charger leads connected which ends in a fully waterproof SAE connection on the bike. Instead of wiring a seperate cigarette outlet I purchased an SAE to cigarette outlet connection.

That's exactly what I want to do! I have the SAE plug from a Battery Tender Jr. coming off the battery, and want to just hang a lighter socket onto the end of it for those rare instances when I would use a GPS.

Where did you find the SAE to cigarette outlet connection? I thought for sure I'd have to make that myself.

Is it fused at all?

Thanks!

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
That's exactly what I want to do! I have the SAE plug from a Battery Tender Jr. coming off the battery, and want to just hang a lighter socket onto the end of it for those rare instances when I would use a GPS.

Where did you find the SAE to cigarette outlet connection? I thought for sure I'd have to make that myself.

Is it fused at all?

Thanks!

My SAE connection was fused so I didnt get an outlet with a fuse. There are quite a few places that sell the connection including powerlet (i did a SAE to cigarette outlet search). I did find a place as low as $9 it but they wanted $9 shipping and I couldn't find anything else I wanted. I ended up getting it from Plugs & Adapters They have some other interesting gadgets worth a look as well.

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
My SAE connection was fused so I didnt get an outlet with a fuse. There are quite a few places that sell the connection including powerlet (i did a SAE to cigarette outlet search). I did find a place as low as $9 it but they wanted $9 shipping and I couldn't find anything else I wanted. I ended up getting it from Plugs & Adapters They have some other interesting gadgets worth a look as well.

I actually just ordered from California sport touring.com Motorcycle Accessories from California Sport Touring, Inc.
a Y adapter to take the battery tender SAE lead that I already have and extend it up into two SAE leads and then I bought the SAE to Cigar outlet cord. I plan to plug the GPS into the cigar outlet but then I still have the open SAE plug to plug in the battery tender without having to unplug the GPS. Both should be here any day.

Powerlet Products SAE/2SAE "Y" - PAC-023 1 $10.76
Powerlet Products SAE/CIGAR CABLE - PAC-024- 1 $13.46

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
UPDATE: Thanks to another member here on the forum (sorry I forget who), I used their idea and deceided to mount my RAM mount for the GPS to the mirror stalk. Worked GREAT! Zero vibration and I prefer the fact that the GPS dosen't move with the handlebars.

dscf5091-0.jpg