GPS RAM Mount + 10% discount code!!

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I just took delivery of some of the powerlet stuff (Powerlet Products). I intend to put the outlet on the (almost) vertical plastic beside the windshield. I bought the socket kit, a mini USB cord to power my TomTom GPS and a Powerlet plug to SAE plug cable to put on my battery tender.

From what I have read the powerlet system is more secure and resistant to vibration than a cigarette socket.

I'll post some pictures when I get it done (hopefully this weekend).

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
^^Good to know! Thanks.

Now all I need to do is either hard wire in the 12VDC cable or add in a 12VDC outlet. Haven't quite decided on which. Pros and Cons to each setup.

Will probably got with installing the outlet as this will give me some flexibility if I need to use or change other devices. GPS can last 2-3 hours on batteries, so I could charge up my phone or MP3 player if needed and still use the GPS.
I have a 12v outlet wired into mine and when I'm touring I carry an adapter/splitter that lets me plug three normal car cigarette lighter plugs into the one. This is only for when I'm camping in the evenings - and want to charge my phone and use the GPS at the same time etc. If you checkout my site you can see where/how I mounted it and it's protected from the elements, easy to access and out of the way of the forks.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I promised some picture of the Powerlet stuff so here they are.

I also found some software called tyre (Tyre). It interfaces with google maps and allows you to plan out rides and then transfer them to the TomTom as an itinerary.

slammer111

Reaction score
Visit site
I used a Ram mount and stuck it dead centre on my FZ6. Fits in there perfectly.

Ordered mine from Lido Mounts, part # LM-1000.

Not sure why you guys needed to use that U-bolt (doesn't that wreck your paint?) but mine came with a rubber strip and clip that screwed tight.

My only complaint about the thing is that it COMPLETELY trashed the outside of my Nuvi. Imperfections in the moulding resulted in marks, scratches, missing paint, and gouges in the plastic, especially in the back near the corners. Then the front clip was so tight, it actually took off a few mm of plastic off the casing of the Nuvi at the top of the screen! Some sandpaper and a hacksaw took care of that, but now my Nuvi has 0 resale value. :rolleyes: The mount serves its purpose nicely, but I honestly expected better workmanship.

Last edited: