GPS electrical connection

ded

Reaction score
Visit site
I am trying to install GPS on my bike. My problem is electrical.In order to be able to charge I need to provide power (12V) to the GPS device. What is the best way to do it?
Do I need perform connection via main switch or I can take line directly from the battery?
Please your help.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I am trying to install GPS on my bike. My problem is electrical.In order to be able to charge I need to provide power (12V) to the GPS device. What is the best way to do it?
Do I need perform connection via main switch or I can take line directly from the battery?
Please your help.

What a lot of people have done is hook up a DC connector to the battery that looks much like the port inside a car. You can then use your GPS's car charger to plug in, or anything that uses a standard DC plug, into that port. If you do a search, you're bound to find the thread that was started on this about a year ago.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess you could do it either way. Hooking it direct to battery would enable you to continuously charge a device even with the ignition off. I personally plan to do a lighter socket direct to the battery so I can run GPS or Cell phone charger etc. with the ignition switch off. Those formentioned devices draw little current so I don't worry about dumping the battery unless it was a bad battery and I wouldn't leave a cell phone or GPS on an unattended bike anyway. The main thing is to install an inline fuse or run it from a fused circuit on the bike.

Happy Riding.

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
I have mine running fused from the battery straight to the outlet which I have zip tied (for now) inside the fairing. Works Wonders.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is everything I have done regarding the things you are wanting to do, Hope some of this info helps. Good Luck!!

Here is my outlet
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/13728-headlight-outlet-mod.html

GPS is plugged directly into the outlet I added, Works Great!

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/17302-gps-ram-mount-my-mirror.html

Just throwing this one in so you know you have the option should you connect direct to battery like I and many others have done.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/14039-battery-tender.html

ded

Reaction score
Visit site
First ,tank’s to everybody and particularly to STRYKEN.
Second, maybe I wrong but I do not see a new fuse to the outlet line. Did you fused it ?

cdogg76

Reaction score
Visit site
I attached a Battery Tender pigtail to the battery. This has a 7.5A replacable (somehow it did its job once) fuse inline. I then had a custom cable made by Powerlet Products that went from the tender's SAE plug to a mini-USB (with the appropriate inline circuitry). So, I just uncap the pigtail and connect this 1 ft cable when I use my TomTom mounted on a RAM mount. :)

That custom cable did cost $40, though, but I'm happy with the solution.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I connected my zumo power cable (with fuse) to an unused plug under the LH side pod where there is a switched 12V. Luckily the Zumo power cable was pretty long, so I ran it under the tank.

The reason I connected it to a switched 12V and not directly to the battery is that a mate of mine has a constant 12V on his Zumo cradle, and despite being under a cap, the 12V pin is the only one showing signs of corrosion.

This is obviously no problem if you disconnect your 12V source, but my Zumo cradle is a permanent fixture.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it is fused. If you look at the 5th picture down under my outlet link you will see a fuse with two yellow wires coming off it. I bought that fuse holder at Walmart, one end goes to the battery + and the other to the outlet +. They make those fuse holders with waterproof lids, I wish I would have bought one of those now although I have had no problems. would however suggest buying one of those types just to be safe.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I attached a Battery Tender pigtail to the battery. This has a 7.5A replacable (somehow it did its job once) fuse inline. I then had a custom cable made by Powerlet Products that went from the tender's SAE plug to a mini-USB (with the appropriate inline circuitry). So, I just uncap the pigtail and connect this 1 ft cable when I use my TomTom mounted on a RAM mount. :)

That custom cable did cost $40, though, but I'm happy with the solution.

An easier and cheaper solution is to just get the Powerlet SAE/Cigar cable (PAC-024) from California Sport Touring. I also have a battery tender SAE cable attached and coming off my battery terminals. It's long enough that it poles through the frame up by the forks. Kind of like this:

pigtail.JPG

So the SAE connector is there always if I need to plug in my charger. Now if and when I want to power my GPS, or any other 12VDC device (charging cell phone, MP3, etc), all I do is plug the Powerlet SAE/Cigar Cable into it and presto, I have a 12VDC outlet!

pac024.jpg

$13.46 at California Sport Touring: Motorcycle Accessories from California Sport Touring, Inc.: Powerlet Products SAE/CIGAR CABLE - PAC-024-

I then just added an inline fuse into the cable and I'm set!

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a big fan of the SAE connector. I've had too many 12v aux power outlets work loose or get wet and fail. Even the fancy outdoors ones don't seem to last me more than a year. It's easy enough to take any device and wire on an SAE plug to the end.

In my case, I first hooked up a battery tender connecter to the battery (the one the tender came with - always a good idea anyway). The tender cord ends in an SAE plug (this is standard for pretty much all battery tenders I think). I then got an SAE entension cord for $2 from an auto parts store so I could extend the tender plug back under the seat. Next, I wired my GPS connector to an SAE plug and ran it back under the seat to reach the battery tender plug (make sense?). That way I can lift the seat and either plug in the GPS or switch to the battery tender if needed. I also have a mini compressor that plugs into the SAE plug.

nsaP

Reaction score
Visit site
An easier and cheaper solution is to just get the Powerlet SAE/Cigar cable (PAC-024) from California Sport Touring. I also have a battery tender SAE cable attached and coming off my battery terminals. It's long enough that it poles through the frame up by the forks. Kind of like this:

pigtail.JPG

So the SAE connector is there always if I need to plug in my charger. Now if and when I want to power my GPS, or any other 12VDC device (charging cell phone, MP3, etc), all I do is plug the Powerlet SAE/Cigar Cable into it and presto, I have a 12VDC outlet!

pac024.jpg

$13.46 at California Sport Touring: Motorcycle Accessories from California Sport Touring, Inc.: Powerlet Products SAE/CIGAR CABLE - PAC-024-

I then just added an inline fuse into the cable and I'm set!

I, like you and many others here, took this route to power my phone on my bike. Something I haven't seen and have been looking to address is waterproofing. What have people done to try to waterproof this setup? Mine currently looks like this:

UBoNhl.jpg

With the cig outlet ziptied and facing up, and a usb converter just sitting inside it only fairly tight. Obviously that won't do in any kind of rain. Ideally I think I need some kind of plastic/rubber sheath that would wrap around the outlet and converter, but still have a hole for the cable to go thru, maybe like those new popular water bottles mouthpieces (or a kids sippy cup).

The cheap solution in my head is just a ziplock over it, but I wondered if anyone came up with anything more fashionable.