got bad luck? mine's worse.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
in the last 2,000km I have gone through 3 rear tires. at the end of last season I hit a nail and had to replace the rear. no biggie, i thought, as it was getting a touch old and worn. then on the way to a lake outside of town my rear fender fell off into my brand new rear tire (guy who installed it used the wrong screws the numbnuts).

so i went back and had the rear swapped.

then today (start of this season bout a week or so in) I snag ANOTHER nail....well this time it was a screw. ffs.

so each new tire I have bought has been a michellin pilot power CT2 running me ~$250 each plus 50-60 for labour costs.

thats ~$300 times 3 = $900.........ON TIRES!!!

I could have put in an fz1 handlebar, and full fairings for that.

oh, and when i pulled into the dealership to get the tire swapped out.....my odometer read 13,666...........

wowzers indeed. now excuse me while I go hide in my closet.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah? I found a screw in my rear tire, too. I'm thinking about switching it out for a Pilot Road.

What's funny is I decided to perform my routine tire pressure check. Absolutely nothing felt wrong, but low-and-behold, there was the screw that kept taking a consistant 10 PSI off the gauge. Go figure.

Oh well...at least I got 7000 K off that rear tire. That's not too bad, right?

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow... that's really bad. But are the nails in the road contact area? If so, they should be patch-able.

Noob question... don't they offer road hazard wty on bike tires as well?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lone , I had four flat tyres in 24 hours.........cry me a river ,lol

wow that's epic.

and i just didnt feel right with plugs. sometimes i ride it a bit hard and later this summer i am planning on taking the bike to the track (nothing too insane as it will be my first time, but i still feel unsure with plugs)

and road hazard warranty?? where do i sign up?!?!?

W

wrightme43

Dang man. Thats a pain in the a$$ and pocket.

Avon Storm ST tires come with a road hazard up to the first 1/32 of tread wear.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Lone , I had four flat tyres in 24 hours.........cry me a river ,lol

Was that the time you drove the car over a "speedbump" while reading a sign that said "Caution - Severe Tire Damage"

:justkidding:

knock on wood I've had no issues with the tires on the bike yet. I have had two flats a mile apart with one of my cars though. Got a slice in the sidewall on one, stopped changed it for the spare, went on and dented the spare wheel on when I got to a construction area just up the road - called roadside and waited for 3 hours for them to show up. fun...

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never had a puncture in 25 years of riding! Makes me pretty lucky by the sounds of it... Hope I just havnt put "the mockers" on myself! :eek:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As far as i know Avon is the only manufacturer to offer the road hazzard here in the states...As far as plugging. No thank you... My life and bike are far too expensive and important for the chance that it fails....

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Bad luck lone, I feel for ya. Makes me wonder, do you live in a new area with construction happening? Where do you ride? I knwo people who have had similar problems and they usually live in new housing zones or ride to work in industrial areas. I've never had a puncture on a bike (though on my road pedal bike I used to get them all the time).

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why in the world would they remove the fender to change the tire??

i had them remove a fender eliminator kit and reinstall the stock fender.

dang...i hope the second tire was replaced for free seeing as it's deflation was caused by the mechanics failure to attach the fender properly.

no bu tthey paid half the price of the tire. i did this at an aftermarket auto place where i was having other lighting installed. lesson learned. never go someplace that doesnt specialize in bikes.

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on madmanmaigret's previous post... Cycle Gear offers road hazard insurance if you want it. I don't know that they have stores in Canada though.

I definitely wouldn't use a plug on the track, but for less-aggressive average riding, a plug will be fine.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sucky dude... better luck on the next tire, you know that if you get the warranty you will never hit another nail again.

FATHERHIGH

Reaction score
Visit site
Why did you pay for the second tire? If the installer jacked it up....unless you were the installer....bike shop would have gotten an earful from me!