Got a ticket today on Georgia 129...need advice

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
First I am a Virginia licensed driver, I do not reside or have a Ga drivers license.

I got a ticket today doing 62 in a 35 on GA 129 south of Blairsville, GA.

It was right at the beginning of the twisties...this was only my second time on this road so I was not expecting to see a trooper.

I pulled over before he even hit the light and I was very polite and compliant.

The trooper was very pleasant, even though he did not cut me any slack, he even complimented me on my hat (covert American flag ball cap) guess he thought i was military as he spoke about his tour in Afghanistan.

He said I did not have to go to court that I could just pay the fine...I am not sure if I believe him because I was 27 over and I've had a trooper years ago tell me I could pay the fine only to find out it was not true.

Can I just pay it?

Will I have to get a lawyer to represent me in court because of the speed?

Thanks for any help.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Call the clerk at the municipality that you are to pay the ticket to and they should have good info. :)

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got one in Cali I mailed the check in and I was all square make sure you mail it in before the date I'd say at least 7 days prior and mail an extra 10 on the check amount so when they refund you 10$ in a check you rip it up so the case doesn't close and they never file the point on your license also take the online drivers course for the point I you haven't in the last 18 months at least those are some ways to get out of a point that I know of in Cali g/l sorry about the ticket

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
First I am a Virginia licensed driver, I do not reside or have a Ga drivers license.

I got a ticket today doing 62 in a 35 on GA 129 south of Blairsville, GA.

It was right at the beginning of the twisties...this was only my second time on this road so I was not expecting to see a trooper.

I pulled over before he even hit the light and I was very polite and compliant.

The trooper was very pleasant, even though he did not cut me any slack, he even complimented me on my hat (covert American flag ball cap) guess he thought i was military as he spoke about his tour in Afghanistan.

He said I did not have to go to court that I could just pay the fine...I am not sure if I believe him because I was 27 over and I've had a trooper years ago tell me I could pay the fine only to find out it was not true.

Can I just pay it?

Will I have to get a lawyer to represent me in court because of the speed?

Thanks for any help.

if it was a SR (state road) or interstate/bypass, you should just be able to pay it, especially since you are out of state. i got a ticket last year from a statee on I40 in TN over one of my breaks from school, and i told the officer that i wouldn't be around to pay it and he said I would be able to mail it in. i called the municipality anyway to confirm.

BTW i was doing 23 over at the time (78 in 55) as i was in "travel mode"

not sure if i got any points, but my insurance didnt go up.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The reason I say check with the municipality is that not only state laws differ, but also county and municipal laws may differ.
Enjoy your weekend and call Monday. :)

Sent from Moto's Droid using Tapatalk 2

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been searching online and it seems Georgia has some crazy expensive speeding fines...one guy got a speeding ticket doing 84 in a 55 outside of ATL and his fine was $748! Base fine of $500 + $248 additional fees....

Can anyone living in GA or has gotten a ticket in GA confirm this?

Would it be to my advantage to get a lawyer to represent me since I might have to pay that much anyway?

Thanks...

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been searching online and it seems Georgia has some crazy expensive speeding fines...one guy got a speeding ticket doing 84 in a 55 outside of ATL and his fine was $748! Base fine of $500 + $248 additional fees....

Can anyone living in GA or has gotten a ticket in GA confirm this?

Would it be to my advantage to get a lawyer to represent me since I might have to pay that much anyway?

Thanks...

Thats also in a big city, where the base fine can include congestion fines, roadwork, etc. you only have to pay the # indicated on your ticket. make a photocopy and circle the fine and date on the original before you copy it. also, make sure to write down the document # of the ticket. that way if any discrepancies come up, you have proof. i also keep my tickets for 2 years after the payment/court date just to be safe.

TBH i have no idea how he was going that fast through ATL, when i go through there i average like 12mph.

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats also in a big city, where the base fine can include congestion fines, roadwork, etc. you only have to pay the # indicated on your ticket. make a photocopy and circle the fine and date on the original before you copy it. also, make sure to write down the document # of the ticket. that way if any discrepancies come up, you have proof. i also keep my tickets for 2 years after the payment/court date just to be safe.

TBH i have no idea how he was going that fast through ATL, when i go through there i average like 12mph.

There is no $ amount on the ticket...

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Last ticket I got was about 4 years ago on interstate I85 (Atlanta) I was running 78 in a 55 and the cost was about $275. If you're in a construction zone fees are doubled, and a super speeder fine comes in at 85 MPH on a limited access road (interstate) and at 75 for all other roads. 62 MPH should not incur additional fees, but 62 in a 35 will not be cheap. Let us know how much it turns out to be.

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
Last ticket I got was about 4 years ago on interstate I85 (Atlanta) I was running 78 in a 55 and the cost was about $275. If you're in a construction zone fees are doubled, and a super speeder fine comes in at 85 MPH on a limited access road (interstate) and at 75 for all other roads. 62 MPH should not incur additional fees, but 62 in a 35 will not be cheap. Let us know how much it turns out to be.

ya you just made it under the 24mph bracket...your base fine was $150 + surcharges...

24mph to 33mph...I believe...has a $500 base + surcharge....

ill know in the morning i guess....if anyone has any info please post

im more concerned about having to actually go to court or being required to hire a lawyer to represent me...i just want to pay the fine and be done with it...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Federal Holiday on Monday the 12th so don't be shocked when they don't answer! Our tickets always have the fine listed. Actually all troopers have printers now so we don't have to rely on chicken scratch for facts!

Oh ya, our tax dollars hard at work but our schools have don't have PCs that work or printers. . .

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Check with your state to see if they record out of state tickets also. I live in NY and got a 71 in a 60 a few years back in Texas. I don't have a commercial license so NY doesn't record it. fine was just under $200 paid online last I have heard of it and I have a clean driving record.

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
It appears GA is not a interstate driver's license compact member...so as long as you just pay the ticket before your court date they don't report it to your home state....

Can anyone confirm this?

jts6yf

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure about the out of state answer.

But in the beginning of the summer, I got a ticket in Missouri and I sent it in pleading not guilty and wrote a letter apologizing for my negligence to the Prosecuting Attorney for the county I got the ticket in. He reduced my speeding ticket to a littering fine. The price of the ticket about doubled, but no points on my license (which would have been 3 because it was a State Trooper that got me). Something to consider...

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
I say check with a lawyer if you can - most speeding ticket lawyers should give you a free consultation. When I got my 93 in 65 on I90 in upstate NY I searched online and found this guy *New York Traffic Ticket Attorney :: Traffic Ticket Defense Lawyer of NY :: New York Speeding Ticket Lawyer I sent him an email with my ticket and he told me I was looking at a total of ~$700 and he explained why. I checked the law and he wasn't pulling my leg so I paid him $300 via paypal realizing that I may very well be getting ripped off but thankfully that was not the case. He managed to turn that ~$700 ticket into (I had to choose between):

1) $120 fine with a couple of points on my record
2) $220 parking ticket with no points

Needless to say I went for the $220 option. All in all I paid a total of $520 but that was still better than ~$700, driving a total of 600 miles just to show up in court, getting a day off from work and getting points on my license.

Just sharing my experience. Of course if we're talking about a $200-$300 ticket, I'd probably just mail in the money.