Good Sprockets???

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I prefer the OEM Yamaha sprockets. Several folks here have gotten up to 30K miles on them (if maintained).

Any aluminum one will NOT last nearly as long as steel. Buying on-line is usually a bit cheaper than at the stealership..

KrZyT6911

Reaction score
Visit site
I prefer the OEM Yamaha sprockets. Several folks here have gotten up to 30K miles on them (if maintained).

Any aluminum one will NOT last nearly as long as steel. Buying on-line is usually a bit cheaper than at the stealership..

do you know if the process of changing the sprockets is easy?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It is if you have an impact driver for the countershaft sprocket and a chain breaking tool.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As noted above, you do need some specific tools. An air gun will take off the front sprocket in a hurry. I would use a torque wrench for re-installation. Have someone hold the rear brake on (chain still on) when tightening.

For the rear, if you can remove the wheel W/O incident, you can replace the rear sprocket (14mm nut heads I believe).

The OEM chain does NOT have a masterlink. If you go with a genuine OEM chain, you can get by with loosening and sliding back the swingarm and sneak the new chain in there.

If installing an aftermarket chain(as most do) as Hellgate noted, you need a chain tool. An air powered grinding tool of the chain tool will remove the old chain real quick. I have a DID chain tool (just shy of professional, about $100-went up since I bought mine);

Access Denied

With a DID chain and DID tool, the tool makes it impossible to over tighter the master link.

There are less expensive chain tools, you just have to go slow and make sure
you DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the master link OR you get to cut it off, buy another and do it again..

If you have most of the tools, buying a chain breaker/installation tool will probably be cheaper than paying a shop..

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
beware of aluminum sprockets. I prefer Sunstar brand, because I bought rear oem sprocket from yamaha and it's brand is sunstar.

Probably I paid more for oem, but it's same as sunstar aftermarket sprockets.