Going to Place Big Givi Order--Moral Support Requested

nksmfamjp

Reaction score
Visit site
Good to hear you bought the stuff. Good for the economy.

I bought the e41's cause they hold more, and I really wanted to avoid a top case. I have to swing my leg over. How do you top case'rs do it?

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Now hoping I don't have to grind down the bolts that attach under the seat above the exhaust cover as others including my friend had to do.

Not sure which bolts you mean, I may not have had them since I do not have the Givi top rack. The hardest bolts for me, and I think you will have them too, were the bottom ones on the brackets that go around the muffler shroud, the ones that replace the bolts that hold the fender (or fender eliminator) to the muffler. Those were a bi!ch. Get yourself a sacrificial allen wrench and cut the short side so it is just long enough to go fully into the head of the bolt. At least that's what I had to do to get mine tight.

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure which bolts you mean, I may not have had them since I do not have the Givi top rack. The hardest bolts for me, and I think you will have them too, were the bottom ones on the brackets that go around the muffler shroud, the ones that replace the bolts that hold the fender (or fender eliminator) to the muffler. Those were a bi!ch. Get yourself a sacrificial allen wrench and cut the short side so it is just long enough to go fully into the head of the bolt. At least that's what I had to do to get mine tight.

Having done a few Givi installs, I will say this: mock it all up with the bolts just finger tight (you will feel like you're going to bend something), then blue loctite on all the bolts and tighten it down.

A good set of male hex (allen) sockets will make life a lot easier, but I'd do it all by hand for the first several rotations to ensure you don't cross-thread anything.

seoulski

Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Fred, You will love it!
I have the plx cases on a SW MOTECH mount. Yamaha Top Mount and Case.

Pics are from a recent 2 up camping tour. I normally ride with just the side cases. Very handy wherever you go.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you really need to get rid of the ST?
Even with all the Givi gear the FZ will still be doing what it does best, ie a great utillity bike doing a job.
For ride quality and drive ability the ST will win hands down.
I'm sure that you have already considered why you got the ST in the first place. One of your biggest considerations is how much additional voltage you need to run all of the auxillary gear.
IMHO you might be thinking of getting rid of the wrong bike.

Good luck with your decision.

Nelly

D

Dave.TX

Glad you made the order and will be getting the gear soon. Makes me glad I bought a bike already with the side bags. Mine appear to be V35's. They're pretty roomy!

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you really need to get rid of the ST?
Even with all the Givi gear the FZ will still be doing what it does best, ie a great utillity bike doing a job.
For ride quality and drive ability the ST will win hands down.
I'm sure that you have already considered why you got the ST in the first place. One of your biggest considerations is how much additional voltage you need to run all of the auxillary gear.
IMHO you might be thinking of getting rid of the wrong bike.

Good luck with your decision.

Nelly

Don't Need to and won't if the FZ won't meet my pistol match traveling needs in all weather. Would make wife happy though and that has a way of making me happy too...,:cool:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe too late, but take a look at soft luggage. A lot of people use them. People have traveled around the world with soft luggage.

Some advantages are that they cost less, weigh less and they don't tweak your rear subframe in a crash.

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
For you guys that I guess has less security problems is ok to go with soft luggage

For me in the thirld world no thanks, I don't want to come back to my bike and find a cuople of cut off straps and no way I am going to be unmounting and mounting my luggage everytime I give my bike unattended (I just do it with the tank bag).

A lot of people here use soft luggage as well, I won't be doing it, call me paranoic :D

Cheers

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
For you guys that I guess has less security problems is ok to go with soft luggage

For me in the thirld world no thanks, I don't want to come back to my bike and find a cuople of cut off straps and no way I am going to be unmounting and mounting my luggage everytime I give my bike unattended (I just do it with the tank bag).

A lot of people here use soft luggage as well, I won't be doing it, call me paranoic :D

Cheers

If somebody wants to break into your luggage, they can.
The latches to the Givi bags are just plastic. It wont take much effort to break it. If you are worried about valuables, like small electronics, keep them in a tank bag and carry them that with you.
You can even use something like a pac safe:
1960_11_1567_11_1147_anti-theft.jpg

Like I said, there are people who go all over the world with soft luggage.
Take a look at ortleib, wolfman, giant loop....

I have a feeling no one is going to listen to me.....:rolleyes:

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"you're doing the right thing" - moral support

OMG_WTF, I am listening. I like the idea of having proper luggage but I think that I really wouldn't use it that much and for me, I could get some soft stuff, in case I ever do an actual trip someday.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
The latches to the Givi bags are just plastic. It wont take much effort to break it. If you are worried about valuables, like small electronics, keep them in a tank bag and carry them that with you.

If you read OP's posts -he will be going to shooting ranges and he has to have hard lockable luggage due to nature of his cargo and regulations.

As for soft luggage in general -I used it a lot. But now I have givi setup and I will never go back :D

spock

Reaction score
Visit site

You're arguments are pretty good ... however I won't listen to you :BLAA:

Cheers

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
Ha ha. Yeah. Need lockable stuff for the pistols and ammo. Around here it will stop the quick opportunist thief but nobody who is serious about getting my stuff. And actually I'm told a bike cover is better security than most since thieves don't want the extra effort for a maybe payoff. Covers are a pain though.