Going to Place Big Givi Order--Moral Support Requested

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, like I told my wife, I'm going to TRY to maybe get down to one bike. My other bike is the ST1300 I traded my first 2009 FZ6 for! But I need to get my FZ all "toured up", AND I need to see with a voltmeter what the heated gear, headlight modulator and maybe a couple other things does to me in the winter.

But for now I'm looking at placing an order with sporttour.com. They have same lowest prices as twistedthrottle, but they have free shipping on each item versus having to go over $1000 like twisted requires.

So I'm looking at:

PLX360 Side Racks $170
V35 cases $490
FZ351 topcase rack $141

And not for sure (hence the need for free shipping on each item), but probably also:

Maxia E55 case $306

That's $1107 by my math! Yowza! I need at least a dozen "you're doing the right thing"s, etc. please......:eek:

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
If you plan on serious touring, go for it. As far as electrical loads, there is very little headroom. I made some measurements a few years ago and came to the conclusion that there is only about 50W/4 amps of excess capacity to run accessories on a continuous basis.

BTW, the Shad products I bought from you work perfectly! I did have to make a turn signal frame and installed LED directional lights but its a nice product.

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
That's $1107 by my math! Yowza! I need at least a dozen "you're doing the right thing"s, etc. please......:eek:

you can order the toprack with a monolock rather than monokey baseplate and buy a cheaper topcase. I have the E470.

40k miles on two bikes, and no issues so far. I've told many people, once you have hard, lockable, waterproof storage, it is damn hard to go back.

965819139_dniEy-XL.jpg

965819204_YNGjq-XL.jpg

1036428705_5TGpg-XL.jpg

1140873771_mkSMM-XL.jpg

1036371328_4LxsR-XL.jpg

979644123_ytRLg-XL.jpg

IMGP6225edited-1-XL.jpg

Let me know if you need more, there's lots more where that came from. :thumbup:

My bike and my carrying capacity are never the limiting factors in my rides. To me, that is worth everything.

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
As a givi user and lover the only thing I have to say is GO FOR IT !!!

You won't regret it

and why I define myself as a givi lover? simple:
- plx360 side rack
- v35 side cases
- fz351 monorack
- e370 top case (I don't like the way big top cases look on our bikes)
- tn358 engine guard
- t480 tank lock tankbag

:D:D

Cheers

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
you can order the toprack with a monolock rather than monokey baseplate and buy a cheaper topcase. I have the E470.

40k miles on two bikes, and no issues so far. I've told many people, once you have hard, lockable, waterproof storage, it is damn hard to go back.

965819139_dniEy-XL.jpg

965819204_YNGjq-XL.jpg

1036428705_5TGpg-XL.jpg

1140873771_mkSMM-XL.jpg

1036371328_4LxsR-XL.jpg

979644123_ytRLg-XL.jpg

IMGP6225edited-1-XL.jpg

Let me know if you need more, there's lots more where that came from. :thumbup:

My bike and my carrying capacity are never the limiting factors in my rides. To me, that is worth everything.

Very nice pics and ride. I saw your pics when I was searching. I especially like the helmet shaped topcase in the one pic...:thumbup:

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
If you plan on serious touring, go for it. As far as electrical loads, there is very little headroom. I made some measurements a few years ago and came to the conclusion that there is only about 50W/4 amps of excess capacity to run accessories on a continuous basis.

BTW, the Shad products I bought from you work perfectly! I did have to make a turn signal frame and installed LED directional lights but its a nice product.

Ha ha. Glad they're working for you. Hindsight is 20/20, but I should have kept the stuff awhile! Hoping I can run heated gear. I may get the Kisan Technologies CG-25 voltmeter. It also has an ampmeter so I can look for positive amperage versus negative. Per their tech guy that is the real indication of when the battery is discharging during use. We'll see.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Yowza! I need at least a dozen "you're doing the right thing"s, etc. please......:eek:

You're doing the right thing.

Seriously, that will be a great set-up and if you have the money and the inclination, you cannot go wrong. I was going to suggest that you look at a Shad top rack and case as you can get a 40+ liter case and rack for less than $300 total. But it seems as if you had some Shad stuff that you sold, so I guess that is not applicable. The side cases are the big hurdle. When decided I had to have side cases, I could not bring myself to spend that kind of money all at once, so I ended up getting the Givi PL360 racks with E21 side cases for less than $400 (from Sporttour.com by the way). I figured if I eventually find that the E21’s just aren’t big enough, I can sell them and get E36 or E41 cases. That would of course cost more in the long run, but less at one time. But if you like the V35, that is not an option since you need the PLX rack.

As for the electrical issue, like Cali Rider said, there is not much headroom with the FZ6 electrical system. You can chip away and gain a little by replacing your tail/brake light (5 Watts) license plate light (5 Watts) and maybe front running lights (5 Watts each) with LEDs. But note that in general, the LED replacements are not as bright as the incandescent. I have an LED tail/brake light, but compensated by adding hyperlite auxiliary brake lights.

Driftboat

Reaction score
Visit site
Im in the Gun Mode , that'll be the price for my next one , ill probley shoot it once and put it in a safe , yours is a practicle purchase.

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
Im in the Gun Mode , that'll be the price for my next one , ill probley shoot it once and put it in a safe , yours is a practicle purchase.

Ha ha. Big problem is I'm in gun mode too! And wife is watching! I'm shooting TX state idpa championship this weekend. No safe queens though. My dozen Glocks and others get regular use. Keep winning holster certificates as door prizes and buying pistols to fill them!

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen Grainbelt's Givi setup personally and it is the only way to go. If anything, his maneuverability is as good as mine and I run without bags.

Owen-Starsky-Hutch-Signature-Do-It.jpg

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site

Seriously, that will be a great set-up and if you have the money and the inclination, you cannot go wrong. I was going to suggest that you look at a Shad top rack and case as you can get a 40+ liter case and rack for less than $300 total. But it seems as if you had some Shad stuff that you sold, so I guess that is not applicable. The side cases are the big hurdle. When decided I had to have side cases, I could not bring myself to spend that kind of money all at once, so I ended up getting the Givi PL360 racks with E21 side cases for less than $400 (from Sporttour.com by the way). I figured if I eventually find that the E21’s just aren’t big enough, I can sell them and get E36 or E41 cases. That would of course cost more in the long run, but less at one time. But if you like the V35, that is not an option since you need the PLX rack.

As for the electrical issue, like Cali Rider said, there is not much headroom with the FZ6 electrical system. You can chip away and gain a little by replacing your tail/brake light (5 Watts) license plate light (5 Watts) and maybe front running lights (5 Watts each) with LEDs. But note that in general, the LED replacements are not as bright as the incandescent. I have an LED tail/brake light, but compensated by adding hyperlite auxiliary brake lights.

Probably should have kept the Shad stuff! Although I loved the size of the Shad 42L sidecases and 52L topcase, the side cases stuck back further in their install AND I found myself overloading with alot of dense gun range stuff. I introduced a nice head shake to the bike that became a tank slapper. I really need to force myself to load less. The V35s, closer to the bike and more forward should help. I'd only run the topcase when needed to carry much stuff too, and will try to keep the lighter stuff like vest, shoes, change of clothes in there.

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
Should add, I really don't "tour" with long rides, but my weekends involve 50-100 mile one-way trips to shooting ranges. And I always need to carry a lot of gear. The nature of the gear requires it be in lockable cases.

paulie75

Reaction score
Visit site
You will def be happy with the Givi set up. I run the V35's and have the top rack installed waiting for me to buy the V46 topcase. I had soft bags on my old Honda but will never go back, having the locks for security and being waterproof so you dont have to throw covers on is well worth the cost. They are also very durable, not too proud of the fact but I dropped the bike twice from a standstill and the side caes just got a little scratch.

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
You will def be happy with the Givi set up. I run the V35's and have the top rack installed waiting for me to buy the V46 topcase. I had soft bags on my old Honda but will never go back, having the locks for security and being waterproof so you dont have to throw covers on is well worth the cost. They are also very durable, not too proud of the fact but I dropped the bike twice from a standstill and the side caes just got a little scratch.

Good to know, thanks.

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
Placed my order! Sporttour.com had everything in stock except sold out of the FZ351 topcase rack after I talked to them last. Probably because I posted they had them in stock! They will drop-ship that from Givi and the other 3 items will come from them. Will go out today, and all with free shipping! Now hoping I don't have to grind down the bolts that attach under the seat above the exhaust cover as others including my friend had to do. I hear that's the difficult part of the install. Looking forward to ditching the backpack against my back in 105 degree weather......

(Edited to add) Got the V35s and the Maxia E55 topcase. Won't run the topcase daily, but have always believed with topcases--"go big or go home"....