Going to pick up my new bike but have some questions

SNOW JW

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok going to pick up my bike on Sat. Anyways I have two questions.

1. I have a 1/2 ton 03 GMC non lifted but what is the best way to load it by myself.

2. once in the truck were is the best place to hook the straps to and also what straps work the best.

Going about 600 miles.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations!

Get an ATV type ramp, not one of those narrow motorcross ramps, I learned the hard way with my '07 Sierra 4X4 with a minor mishap. I had one ramp for the bike and one for me to walk up beside it. Your truck is probably lower than mine but it is still pretty steep. I also back up to a slope, slopping towards the truck to help reduce the angle of the ramps. If I did that I could load it myself.

I used a wheel chock against the front of the bed and tie downs from the passenger foot peg mounts to the loops in the back of the bed. I recommend the Ancra brand ties downs as they are much thicker than the China brand ones, and they have a loop built into them that you can loop around the mount.

Also have someone help/spot you as you load an unload for the first few times as you get the hang of it.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You should go and buy one of those nice loading ramps or make one out of a 2x8 and some sheet metal. I'm not sure where the tie down locations are in the front of the bed, but I like the ratcheting straps. If you get the cheap ones however, they won't last too long.

Also, you could rent a small trailer with a folding rear gate that swings down for a ramp.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You should go and buy one of those nice loading ramps or make one out of a 2x8 and some sheet metal. I'm not sure where the tie down locations are in the front of the bed, but I like the ratcheting straps. If you get the cheap ones however, they won't last too long.

Also, you could rent a small trailer with a folding rear gate that swings down for a ramp.

I agree, a trailer is much easier to load. Thats' what I use now.

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
I basically have the same truck. You can undo the tailgate straps very easy. just push the little lock and slide off. This will give you about 6 or so more inches lower. You can load it up pretty easy with the help of the seller. You should be on the right controlling the front brake, and the seller on left, helping with the balancing/weight. Before you start, make sure the board wont slip off the tail gate backwards. Go ahead and push it up, when the front tire gets in the truck, have the seller go behind and grab the grab rails and help lift/push the rest into the truck.

The best place to strap will be those little U shaped hooks at the bottom front of the truckbed on either side. Id recomend using 4 staps. 2 on the handle bars not in the way of the brake/clutch lines. The other to shold strap to the same u shaped hooks in the truck, except hook these to the frame under the seat.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Call the shop... I needed a ramp once for a scooter that i didnt even buy there, they let me use it and just took my license as a deposit... I came back with a pizza and I even saw them help someone else tie a bike down

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Call the shop... I needed a ramp once for a scooter that i didnt even buy there, they let me use it and just took my license as a deposit... I came back with a pizza and I even saw them help someone else tie a bike down
i think he said he was taking it like 600 miles... unless he is gonna ship it back, its hard to explain how to return it haha..\

if it were me, i would just rent one of those little uhaul trailers.... cheap for 2 days or something...

SNOW JW

Reaction score
Visit site
I drive allot with the YZ 450 in the back of my truck am I wrong with thinking I can use one of my ATV ramps and put a sheet of plywood down on it so me and seller can walk the bike up??

Also it's a 04 how heavy is the bike with fuel and fluids?

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
I drive allot with the YZ 450 in the back of my truck am I wrong with thinking I can use one of my ATV ramps and put a sheet of plywood down on it so me and seller can walk the bike up??

Also it's a 04 how heavy is the bike with fuel and fluids?

like ohh 425ish give or take? kind of a guess

But me and my dad pushed my bike up a short 2x8 into my 1/2 ton silverado and didnt come close to blowing a grape. it was pretty easy

Last edited:

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Heck, me and 2 other guys lifted mine into the back of a half ton. Much easier with a ramp. Put the front wheel right up against the front of the box so she won't ride forward. Strap down 4 points using the frame of the bike (definitely not the fairings) and clamp down so the suspension is pulled down some. Make sure the straps aren't going to rub against the fairings or cause sctraches. No problem. Just stop before you go too far and make sure she's still solid. Wouldn't hurt to cover the front of the bike with a tarp if you are going on the highway.