Going to drill my exhaust, can I do it on the bike?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So before I spring for an aftermarket exhaust, I have to drill out the stock to see if it gives me what I want. I know there are strong opinions on either side, but the decision is made and it's getting the drill.

Everything I read tells me that I can do it on the bike with no worries about the metal shards that are left behind, but before I begin I wanted to tap into the collective knowledge that is this forum and ask anyone knows if there are consequences to leaving the metal shavings in the muffler.

I am impulsive, so the work will be done in the next 48 hours.

Any opinions of the method?

IanHoots

Reaction score
Visit site
Most of the shavings will be blown out after you start the engine.

Personally I wouldn't drill it, as the muffler is then unsaleable as its not a standard pipe. I would sell it and put that money towards a new slip on set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard one. Change is minimal.
If you want it to be louder, its needs bigger holes!

To bad there is no easy way to hole saw the two outlets out and weld 1.25" back in. The reduced velocity lets the Soundwaves travel making it louder.

Good luck!

Trumpet tips???

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Budget is tight right now. Will drill first. Than perhaps gut the can. Scorps on the Christmas list [emoji3]

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, all done. As for the result, I would say it meets expectations. It is louder and deeper, and has a nice decel burble. So considering that it cost me all of $9.00 for the 3/8" drill extension, the ROI is great!

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine was already drilled when I bought the bike. The exhaust tone was a big selling point when I first took the bike for a test ride.
I'd say mine sounds precisely like the AFTER of the below video. The difference is quite pronounced!
https://youtu.be/hGLPMVqjzg0

Tuffy1982

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, all done. As for the result, I would say it meets expectations. It is louder and deeper, and has a nice decel burble. So considering that it cost me all of $9.00 for the 3/8" drill extension, the ROI is great!

Did you do them on the bike?
What video did you reference, I'm thinking about doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are lots of videos on the web. Didn't use any one in particular. Just gave it a go.

And yes, I drilled the exhaust while it was installed. 10 minutes work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tallyho

Reaction score
Visit site
Had to share this pic. I thought my muffler had been drilled out. Was a bit to loud for my liking. Thanks to another forum member I have a clean stock muffler which I prefer.20170427_141935.jpg

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Had to share this pic. I thought my muffler had been drilled out. Was a bit to loud for my liking. Thanks to another forum member I have a clean stock muffler which I prefer.View attachment 68065
Holy crap! That's savage.

Do you have a clip of what that sounded like? I'd be really curious, I've never seen anyone cut that much out!

Tallyho

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have a clip of it. But it sounded actually pretty good. I can say that it wasn't as loud as my son's r6 with a Leo Vince pipe with the db killer removed. If I was 20 years younger I would have left it. Boy it must have been a job to cut it up like that though