Going from '04 to '06 look, powdercoat. Experience?

ELHOCKEY

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm curious about going from the standard silver '04 fz look to the black powdercoated engine etc that started coming on the blue '06 fz6

and I want to do it myself........

has anyone tried this?
Before and after pics?

abynormal

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, my first post here after some reading...
Me and my wife we own 2 FZ6's...I have a 2005 model with top fairing and my wife has an 2007 model with the full (lower) fairing.
Mine has the silver frame/engine, the other one has the black frame/engine.
But from the beginning my wife complaines that her legs are getting really hot while driving the bike. At first I believed this had to do with hers having the full lower fairing...until I took place on her bike after a long tour in hot conditions. It felt like sitting on a hot potato...I could not touch the black frame while on my bike, I could keep my hand on the silver frame and this after both bikes had been driven the same distance.
Not really an answer on your question to get the "black" look but maybe something worth to consider.

Greetings from France :)

VUU

VW gearhead
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're serious about it some things to consider:
1 it will cost more than it would to simply get an 06 (after selling yours)
2 You can expect a massive pita removing and re installing the whole motor and frame
3 you will be without an fz6 for possibly weeks on this project

But if your the type that likes built over bought (I agree) and are willing to pay for it/go through the hassle, take pics! Also I would get all the other silver bits powder coated at the same time, but I really like the black look for pegs, forks, can etc.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Baking it on takes place at about 400F so good luck doing the engine. . . As in, it must come apart! Have we reached "show stopping" yet? Paint is your best option cost wise.

As for new guy from France, the extra heat could be the difference in engine tune assuming both have the stock exhaust with the 3 catalytic converters. A rich running engine will heat the exhaust allot more due to the CAT's burning the unburned petrol.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I would expect that the lower fairing would increase the engine operating temp. The bike is designed as complete unit and that extra plastic isn't part of the equation. The airflow over the engine has to be reduced greatly by that shroud. It sure looks badass though.

I really don't believe the color of the engine/frame is impacting the temp by a noticeable degree.

Last edited:

abynormal

Reaction score
Visit site
As for new guy from France, the extra heat could be the difference in engine tune assuming both have the stock exhaust with the 3 catalytic converters. A rich running engine will heat the exhaust allot more due to the CAT's burning the unburned petrol.

Yes, both bike are original but I assume that with the Fuel Injection system the engine tune should be the same...unles Yamaha made some minor tweaks to the mapping of the ECU. I fail to see how they would like to have an rich running engine...
I believe its simply due to the lower fairing and the fact that the frame is black...its soaking up all the heat.
As for the topic starter...upgrade your bike. You get a better instrument cluster, better looking brakes and much more. Also you will never recover the money you spend on it because at the end of the day, it stays a 2004 model which has been modified...
Me personally I dont like to much the black looks...but thats just my personal taste :thumbup:

ELHOCKEY

Reaction score
Visit site
part of being young is naivety, I think I was mostly just curious.

Lets take this thread somewhere cheaper... Anyone know if a 2007 seat would fit a 2004 fz?

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, both bike are original but I assume that with the Fuel Injection system the engine tune should be the same...unles Yamaha made some minor tweaks to the mapping of the ECU. I fail to see how they would like to have an rich running engine...
I believe its simply due to the lower fairing and the fact that the frame is black...its soaking up all the heat.
As for the topic starter...upgrade your bike. You get a better instrument cluster, better looking brakes and much more. Also you will never recover the money you spend on it because at the end of the day, it stays a 2004 model which has been modified...

I forgot about the fairing. . .

Me personally I dont like to much the black looks...but thats just my personal taste :thumbup:

You mean these Ninja like ones that are faster than Red and Blue's??? :D :D
_DSC5177S.jpg

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Me and my wife we own 2 FZ6's...I have a 2005 model with top fairing and my wife has an 2007 model with the full (lower) fairing.
Mine has the silver frame/engine, the other one has the black frame/engine.
But from the beginning my wife complaines that her legs are getting really hot while driving the bike. At first I believed this had to do with hers having the full lower fairing...until I took place on her bike after a long tour in hot conditions. It felt like sitting on a hot potato...I could not touch the black frame while on my bike, I could keep my hand on the silver frame and this after both bikes had been driven the same distance.

I think that the fairing likely has more to do with temperature than the color. My bike feels hotter with the fairing than before I had it, but it's not very dramatic. I would think that the hotter bike either has a thermostat that is off, making the coolant flow only when the motor gets REALLY hot, or is running lean or rich. Lean if if the heat is from the motor or rich if the heat comes from the exhaust. I think.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Baking it on takes place at about 400F so good luck doing the engine. . . As in, it must come apart! Have we reached "show stopping" yet? Paint is your best option cost wise.

+1 on the above... Engine paint on a super clean engine will take care of things.

I've had steel parts powder coated and still had rust come thru (boat lift canopy brackets, dock box bracket (to bolt to a davit) rusted thru the power coat.

As for the heat, the aluminum frame is a heat sink for the engine, no matter what the color. (My old silver framed 04 FJR frame got just as hot, if not hotter than my black FZ frame-larger engine, more heat too).

The lower radiator/exhaust add on isn't helping, the more air flow, the better.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think that the fairing likely has more to do with temperature than the color. My bike feels hotter with the fairing than before I had it, but it's not very dramatic. I would think that the hotter bike either has a thermostat that is off, making the coolant flow only when the motor gets REALLY hot, or is running lean or rich. Lean if if the heat is from the motor or rich if the heat comes from the exhaust. I think.

The temp gauge, if working correctly, should show the engine temp.

My 07, in SW Florida, right now, in the summer, mid day, runs an engine temp (round town) of about 178 degree's unless stopped at a long traffic light. I don't think my fan's ever come on as its extremly rare to get over 200 degree's.. I do get some slight engine heat on the legs, nothing poking your legs out a little can't fix...

A regular maintainance coolant change wouldn't hurt either..

If the water pump isn't pumping coolant (or the thermostat stuck closed) when its running, it will overheat within 2 miles.

BTW, a lean running engine will run HOTTER than a rich running engine. A super lean engine will surge, especially at lower RPM's which my FJR with the stock CO settings did in certain conditions..

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW, a lean running engine will run HOTTER than a rich running engine. A super lean engine will surge, especially at lower RPM's which my FJR with the stock CO settings did in certain conditions..

Engine = yes for lean it will run hotter.
Exhaust = hotter if engine is ran Rich as the CATs in the exhaust will be trying to burn the unburned fuel and reduce emissions.

No CATs, the engine and exhaust will run cooler if ran rich.