Givi luggage kits suck

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I finally got my luggage on the bike. The givi kits suck, in order to install the side case kit you do not simply open the box and install the kit. You have to order ANOTHER kit, the monorack eliminator kit. SO basically you have to buy a kit to install the 1st kit for those that do not have a 3rd kit. Makes sense.

Also, givi does not include 2 plastic caps to cover the holes from the stock signal light location that would cost them about 2 cents to include in the kit and they also conveniently leave out a 15 cent wire harness that allows you to connect your stock signal lights to their new bracket so you are forced to cut your stock wires and splice in 3 inches of additional wire.

Then you have their "instructions", lol. They may as well just print out a photo of a kitten or something else random. It would be about as helpful as the "instructions" they are not including with their kits.

Anyway, after the fun installing the "kit" and the other "kit to install the 1st kit that does not have the other kit kit" the results are pretty nice. It does not look $1000 nice but it does look good and works pretty good and I like how these racks pop off the bike in about 30 seconds when not being used. Now all I need to do is figure out a time when it will not be raining for more than 2 days in a row to go on a trip lol.

luggage.jpg

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bike looks great with matched cases! Yes install is PITA but worth it! Hard to tell from pic but if the exhaust is very close to case, it can melt it. I had to fabricate a bracket and move the pipe down to get enough clearance on FZ1

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bike looks great with matched cases! Yes install is PITA but worth it! Hard to tell from pic but if the exhaust is very close to case, it can melt it. I had to fabricate a bracket and move the pipe down to get enough clearance on FZ1

I think it clears fine but I will double check, thanks

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for your reaction to the Givi parts. I mounted the PL360 sidecase holders, so I could use both E21 and E36 bags. But mounting the sidecase holders similarly took substantial drilling, rework, redo and other stupid effort. I like the result, didn't like the means.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for your reaction to the Givi parts. I mounted the PL360 sidecase holders, so I could use both E21 and E36 bags. But mounting the sidecase holders similarly took substantial drilling, rework, redo and other stupid effort. I like the result, didn't like the means.

You don't need to drill/rework anything, just get ALL the screws started before starting to tighten them. If you tighten down the left side before starting the screws on the left, there's no way you'll get it to line up.

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
You don't need to drill/rework anything, just get ALL the screws started before starting to tighten them. If you tighten down the left side before starting the screws on the left, there's no way you'll get it to line up.

Been there, done that - still had to bend a little the racks as there was NO WAY to get a 100% ready to mount kit. My friend works in a motorcycle shop and he even allowed me to try 4 Givi kits for FZ6 and neither of them fit perfectly.

MAYBE if you don't tighten the screws too hard and use some threadlock you can get a full alligment but....

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site

Unless you've "walked in my shoes" on this one, it's hard for you to appreciate how much "fitting" the Givi holders took. If I'd have known everything I learned ahead of time, I would not have bought the Givi holders. Period. They're on now, and they're staying on until rust removes them. I suspect that Givi simply has quality control issues, such that each set of holders fits differently.

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
I suspect that Givi simply has quality control issues, such that each set of holders fits differently.

Same here - it wouldn't be a problem if the price was lower, but for the money we should expect better quality. Not to mention the fact, that after trying the third rack I even thought that my bike frame is bend or something :D

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I left all the bolts lose on mine to head of any issues with lining things up but it still was a bitch to get the left bracket to line up with the side case support. I really had to force it to get it on and almost as much to get it back off. It seems to be not too bad now but it is not machined as well as it should be.