Givi engine bars - Pics

y0s_bikey

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,

These Givi Engine guards look great but good point. Does anyone know if this guard will block the oil plug from being able to remove it?

And.. would you go with these or the OEM engine guards?

Thanks you for the help.

yeap this guards actually blocks the drain plug and hinders the opening of the oil filter as well.
previously every oil change, i had to dismantle out the crash guard til one fine day seeing all the threading coming out from the main frame. I got pissed.. and emailed GIVI. They asked to go to my local distributor and have it modified. Extending the spacer in between the frames and the mount of the guards. But after extending the spacers, the shaft to the main frames gets too short...
overall i find its pretty much crappy design....

Manx

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I found the engine bars do do the trick.

I was in the alps, and two coaches were approaching each other around a hairpin bend. All the traffic stopped. Unfortunately for me the where I stopped was seriously off camber. With the bike needing to turn into the slope from a standstill. With a high centre of gravity due to my luggage, once I started to move the bike just fell. :( Thankfully the bars and luggage took the fall. Unfortunately as the bike was now on a slope I couldn't lift it up - not sure I could of on the flat tbh. But a decent Italian chap behind me pulled over and helped get the bike up.

Here's the offending bend after I pulled in.

Hairpinfall.jpg

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your spill, man. I'm glad everything checked out well for you in the aftermath tho. That's some incredible scenery there, man :)

Mrfirebutt

Reaction score
Visit site
yeap this guards actually blocks the drain plug and hinders the opening of the oil filter as well.
previously every oil change, i had to dismantle out the crash guard til one fine day seeing all the threading coming out from the main frame. I got pissed.. and emailed GIVI. They asked to go to my local distributor and have it modified. Extending the spacer in between the frames and the mount of the guards. But after extending the spacers, the shaft to the main frames gets too short...
overall i find its pretty much crappy design....

I did have to grind down the drain plug 2 threads to be able to unplug without removing the guard, oil filter has not been a problem

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Hello All,

These Givi Engine guards look great but good point. Does anyone know if this guard will block the oil plug from being able to remove it?

And.. would you go with these or the OEM engine guards?

Thanks you for the help.

I'd hope the OEM guard would allow removal of the oil filter and drain plug..... that sounds like enough reason right there, to do the OEM setup. It would be wonderful to hear from someone who has installed the OEM bars, to confirm that, though.

The bars you refer to are not offered in the US..... the only source I could find a couple of years ago was Ireland. Of course I forgot to check Canada.:spank:

Caladin

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a bump for an awesome product.

I purchased these crash bars off e-bay for a sweet deal. My bike is a '06 so I used part number TN354. For 07 up they use part number TN358. I am not sure what the change is between the years to cause this.

They fit perfectly. The only installation hassle being the center stand spring. Not to hard if you have a tool to pull the spring with. I used a spring tool for car brakes.

And here are the pictures.

Right Side
IMG_4223.jpg

Left side
IMG_4224.jpg

IMG_4221.jpg

These should offer a lot more protection in a crash as compared to frame sliders. They are very sturdy.

Looks like I have some Uncaged frame sliders to sell.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
geez you guys and your shiny headers! Any of you wanna come over and shine my head pipes (sounds dirty lol)

mrfirebutt, you are local! I'm in Festus.

Gobs

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Caladin,

Nice bars... And nice bike! The Puig screen fits it very well IMHO!
Some link please about the bars? How it is for the drain plug and oil filter?

Thanks,
Gobs

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
I did have to grind down the drain plug 2 threads to be able to unplug without removing the guard, oil filter has not been a problem

Last november I had a crash at about 60km/h -> 37 miles/h, the bike slid several meters and thanks to this givi guards no scratches at all on the engine cover or frame :thumbup:

After that the guard had to be replaced so while installing it I ground down the drain plug as well but unfortunately it wasn't enough, so I added two washers in one of the guard installation points and problem solved, the oil filter has never been a problem and now the drain plug is not an issue anymore :cheer:

Look at the installation diagram for the left side, the red circle indicates where I added the washers.

Note: mine is a 08 naked model, but given that the bolt that goes in that point is exactly the same for the US faired model (I have verified the part number for both naked european and faired US 90105-10N53) anyone willing to do the same mod won't have problems.

Btw, pretty nice setup you have Caladin, and the trips you make ... absolutely amazing, I really envy you :thumbup:

I'm pretty sure more than one here finds interesting your fule bottles setup, if you can give us details about it it would be great.

Thanks.

Last edited: