Getting my 17 year old son a bike

S197

Reaction score
Visit site
I just started on the FZ6 and I haven't had any problems. As long as he is responsible and not the type of person that speeds around or does stupidly dangerous things I don't think it'll be too much of a problem.

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
Has your son spent anytime on offroad bikes?
No, we have not had any time riding dirt bikes. I know that is such an advantage. But we do have to start start somewhere.

If he did have dirt riding experience, I could start him on my FZ6, dont you think?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just started on the FZ6 and I haven't had any problems. As long as he is responsible and not the type of person that speeds around or does stupidly dangerous things I don't think it'll be too much of a problem.

+1

I did too.

But the idiot factor is always higher at 17. It just is. Don't say, "not my Billy, you don't know my Billy." I know he is 17, and that's enough. So maybe a high revving supersport R6 engine (albeit detuned) is something best saved for later?

Plenty of fun to be had on the much cheaper to buy and insure 250's. The new CBR250 is pretty decent looking...

Or an SV650? Much more linear power delivery and less overall juice...

Twitch

Elite Pimp
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I started on on a 2008 fz6 when i was 17. First bike i ever had. Was def not to big. If its what he wants id say go with it. Getting him a smaller bike now would only hinder him in the future. Wat if he steps up from a 250 to a 1000? That would be worse than starting with a 600. fz6 all the way

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I started small, 70cc, and I was also only 14. Any 1980's UJB will be fine, cheap to buy, easy to fix, and insurance is cheap. A older 750 will have well under 75HP and will be easy to ride. I crashed when I was younger, most seem to go down at some point, and the older bikes were much cheaper and easier to repair.

My fave is the old Suzuki GS line, GS650G or the GS750L seem to take lots of abuse and keep on running.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
Getting him a smaller bike now would only hinder him in the future.

i don't know if i should put
:rolleyes:
or
:eyebrow:
or
:disapprove:

but in the end i think i just have to go with :rof:

i have no suggestions because i wouldn't buy my kids a street bike. if they wanted one and were mature enough to work and save up the money for the bike and the insurance for it, then i'd let them buy one that i approve of.

Metallicblue

Reaction score
Visit site
I started on a 09 Ninja 250R which i recomend as a really good choice!
The bike is as easy to ride as a bicycle yet it has the power to overtake cars easily at legal speeds if revved a little.

If you son has no experience with motorbikes then i think the power of a 600 could be a little to much.
I think i learned better on the small bike because i felt i could controll it, no rush of power just smooth linear delivery, not easy to loose grip in corners etc.
I would say it is the best beginners bike there is, i still miss the bike even though i have driven a lot of different bikes.

Greetings from Sweden

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I will be getting my 17 year old son a motorcycle. He has no riding experience. He has a Ford Ranger with a manual transmission so he is familiar with a clutch.

This weekend he will be taking the MSF basic rider course and after that I will want to get him his own bike.

In my opinion, my FZ6 is way too much bike for him to start. He points out that my first bike at 19 was a 1980 750f and I also had no riding experience

What motorcycle would you recommend as a first bike?

I went through this exact same dilemma this past summer. I got lots of good advice from our board here. (Every opinion counts)
I too, thought the Fazer to be too much bike for a newbie. (I know where two brand new Fazers are yet and I am lusting after them more and more each day)
However I did find, what I thought to be, the perfect solution: I found a really nice, extremely low mileage Kawasaki Ninja 250. While it is smaller, less powerful and extremely economical to operate, it is fully capable of sustained interstate speeds. (It will do 97 mph indicated with his big dad on it) I think he needs to put about a year and/or 10,000 miles on it before we think of him moving up to a larger bike.
Good luck with your decision!

bjorn240

Reaction score
Visit site
A pre-2008 Ninja 250 is a great bike. Big enough for a large man, and still a fun bike for someone who has 100k miles on bikes under their belt. Don't underestimate the Ninjette.

I wouldn't recommend an inline 4 600 for any beginning rider.

Hell, I'd make him ride a Passport for six months!

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My first "street" bike was a Honda 175cc back in 1972. Then a RD400 (stolen), Suzuki 550, Honda 750...nothing for 20 years...then a Yamaha Vino 125 (still have it, great fun) and now the FZ6.

As others have stated, with no riding experience I think the 600 will be too much. Is it worth the risk? I wouldn't do it. My own son is about to get his license and I said he could take the MSF course but only ride the Vino. He said he was cool with that until he gets some practical experience. We'll see how he does. I coach him when driving in the car what to look out for when he's on two wheels.

Maybe you two can find some off road bikes to rent and go out and practice. Nothing like a good spill in the dirt, hopefully a semi-safe spill, as a wake up call to the dangers of riding.

Best of luck to you both.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
put him on a bike that fits him ergonomically and makes $en$e in power to him. What style bike does he want to ride? Ask him. 600cc can be a reality, even ss cc's, but he needs power he respects and a bike he wants to take care of. Any size bike can get you in to trouble, one with power or a lack of. We all know riding is about ability, education, experience, and THROTTLE CONTROL.

wizer186

Reaction score
Visit site
No 17 year old kid should be handed an fz6 with no previous riding experience. I appreciate the idea that everyone is different, but 17 is 17. I started on it when I was 21 and I still almost killed myself on god knows how many occasions. It wasn't even about being stupid, it's about the amount of power combined with no previous experience (minus the rider class).

And if you think a 17 year old isn't going to test out how fast his bike can go... well I have some nice property to sell you, real cheap.

I definitely made a poor decision in starting with the bike I did, I love it now but it was trial by fire. I've probably taken about $2000 off the value of it too (though part of that was learning to ride while living on a mountain, laid it down like 4 times at speeds under 5-10 mph... *sigh*)

I almost stepped in and said something when I was at the shop and some salesman was trying to sell a kid and his dad on buying a bigger bike because it's "safer" when you get on the highway. That and it costs more and his commission is higher. This isn't like selling a car with a bad transmission, he's endangering a kid's life. Such a douchebag.

Anyway, I think the 250 ninja is a good idea. If he's up for it I think the Buell Blast is another good idea, had a friend with one who really liked it. Like someone else said, your first bike doesn't have to be your last bike, and you're probably going to lay it down anyway.

It's a hell of a lot more likely to be your last one if you buy a detuned r6 engine and your hand slips while taking a turn because you're still learning, though.

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't begin to say enough about how dirt bike riding will help. It teaches you so many things and quickly if you don't pay attention. Number one is you will crash in the dirt and you better be geared up for it. And it hurts.

The time I spent in the dirt was and is so important to my street riding skill set even to this day. I still ride dirt and I can't imagine getting on a FZ6 or other street bike without that experience.

Start small and work your way up. It will pay off someday.

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site

LOL........I can only look back when I was 19.......I will never know what my son does or how he rides when I am not around. My poor dad only recently found out about my 95mph in a 55mph reckless driving ticket in 1981.

They say the nut doesnt fall far from the tree.....so that being said....maybe I shouldnt get him a bike at all.

Hell........who here doesn't love the feeling of winding it out to 12000rpm in 1st and 2nd gear?????? Lol......that's the kind of rider I was and am.

Last edited:

wizer186

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL........I can only look back when I was 19.......I will never know what my son does or how he rides when I am not around. My poor dad only recently found out about my 95mph in a 55mph reckless driving ticket in 1981.

They say the nut doesnt fall far from the tree.....so that being said....maybe I shouldnt get him a bike at all.

Hell........who here doesn't love the feeling of winding it out to 12000rpm in 1st and 2nd gear?????? Lol......that's the kid of person I was and am.

Can't go 95 in a 55 on a Vespa ;)

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
Mate I'm not gonna yes to anything above 250.17yr olds with no expeirience on a 600 is just asking for trouble,sorry.Heres some advice for any other fathers out there,teach them young on a dirtbike so by the time there thinking of riding on the road,the riding part is 2nd nature:thumbup:

Last edited:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the Honda VTR250 available in the US ?? Looks like this & in the hands of a good rider they are seriously seriously fast ;)
gs_vtr250_l.jpg

Top notch little bike that has tonnes of mods , v-twin sound & enough oompf to keep the young ones interseted way past that learning stage :thumbup:

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
I think a good point here it's also that he is getting a bike for free at 17.
If I was your soon, I wouldn't care, 1980 cb400 or a 2011 Ducati Diavel.
Get him a smaller bike, he can learn great skills in it, if he likes to get a newer/bigger bike, let him show you his skills on rides together only then a)buy him a new one b)Let him buy himself his first bike.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
No 17 year old kid should be handed an fz6 with no previous riding experience. I appreciate the idea that everyone is different, but 17 is 17. I started on it when I was 21 and I still almost killed myself on god knows how many occasions. It wasn't even about being stupid, it's about the amount of power combined with no previous experience (minus the rider class).

And if you think a 17 year old isn't going to test out how fast his bike can go... well I have some nice property to sell you, real cheap.

I definitely made a poor decision in starting with the bike I did, I love it now but it was trial by fire. I've probably taken about $2000 off the value of it too (though part of that was learning to ride while living on a mountain, laid it down like 4 times at speeds under 5-10 mph... *sigh*)

I almost stepped in and said something when I was at the shop and some salesman was trying to sell a kid and his dad on buying a bigger bike because it's "safer" when you get on the highway. That and it costs more and his commission is higher. This isn't like selling a car with a bad transmission, he's endangering a kid's life. Such a douchebag.

Anyway, I think the 250 ninja is a good idea. If he's up for it I think the Buell Blast is another good idea, had a friend with one who really liked it. Like someone else said, your first bike doesn't have to be your last bike, and you're probably going to lay it down anyway.

It's a hell of a lot more likely to be your last one if you buy a detuned r6 engine and your hand slips while taking a turn because you're still learning, though.

Excellent post - I agree with everything you said.

It's not really a question anymore (in my opinion) of deciding whether the FZ6 is the best bike for your 17 yr old - it isn't. Some kids his age will start on them and be ok, but that's the exception not the rule, and ALL of them would've learned more in less time on a smaller bike. Period. I almost spit water on the monitor when someone said a 250 would do him more harm later... that is complete $hit. All you need to do is picture what will, with utmost certainty, come to pass: Your son hunched down over the gas tank of whatever bike he gets, throttle wiiiide open, ripping up a straightaway to see how fast it goes. Would you rather that happen on the ninjette, or the fizzer?

So the question is, what can you talk him into? And if you're paying, it seems like you don't really need to ask. Tell him 12 months / 10k miles with no accidents or tickets means you'll help him upgrade next year. If he turns that deal down, I have no sympathy for him - it's more than most of us ever got.