General Advice after massive engine failure

Rsaliga

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I have been reading this forum for the last year, since buying a 2006 FZ6. Now I seeking advice after yesterdays highly unfortunate events.

I was cruising down the highway going with the traffic (80mph) when BAMM my engine blew up pushing a rod out of a 2 inch gaping hole in the front of the engine. (see Pic) Luckly I was able to make it off the busy highway, despite terrible engine vibrations and billowing smoke and oil soaking my rear tire. (pic)

So now I am looking for advice on how to proceed next. I am a recent college grad without much money, and looking for a job while applying to Med-School. I know that repairing the engine is out of the question, and finding a decent replacement 06 motor will be very difficult.

I'm wicked bummed this happened the bike had just over 14K on it, and gave no sign of engine trouble before this happened. (I know others sometimes complain of a ticking noise).

So options
1 sell as is
2 Part it out
- how easy would this be?
3 Find a new engine
-would a different year engine, 07 or 08 fit in my 2006?

Thanks

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
An engine in that condition is not worth repairing. Too many variables. Once something hand-grenades like that there are often other problems either part of the root cause or resulting from the failure. Example: low oil pressure is the most common cause of your failure so if the level was low or the oil pump failed then what you see is the worst of the problem but not all of it. Crank and rod journals are likely scored and same for cam bearings, cylinder walls, piston skirts etc. You already know you need a new block, crank, rod, piston and more. The parts would be more than a decent parted out engine. And that is if you did all the labor.

You need to find another engine from a part out.

Good luck and kudos for coming to a safe stop. That oil on the tire would have bettered a lesser rider.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're OK and I'm impressed it didn't become a part of the slab with all that oil on the tire & road!

Its pretty rare to see these grenade. This is total speculation on my part but seeing the rod out the block with no cap on it or part of cap indicates bolt failure or the rod bolts came out. Point: is there any evidence this engine has been apart? Like sealents of adhesives sticking out of the case halves or other parts??

This it NOT a normal failure. Its pretty rare IMO but not seeing all of the parts is a bit misleading as to the actual root cause. Any history on it?

Because you mention parting it out it sounds like there is a place and tools to perform repairs. So, if that is true it now becomes a time vs $$$ aspect.

Its just nuts an bolts and depending on your location, someone with more experience may be willing to lend a hand. If however, you have to pay to have the engines swapped, it quickly becomes a high investment with little return as you could buy another bike for cheaper.

How much time do you have to get it on the road?
Do you have a place to make repairs - figure you need space for a couple days at least if you're not a wrencher.
How much are you willing to spend?
If you part it out vs selling as is, it will be yours to deal for months until you tire of it and give it away. Its a big investment time wise, space wise, and personal (taking it apart, placing ads, packing, shipping, correspondence, payments).... this is not for everyone.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is total speculation on my part but seeing the rod out the block with no cap on it or part of cap indicates bolt failure or the rod bolts came out. Point: is there any evidence this engine has been apart? Like sealants of adhesives sticking out of the case halves or other parts??

This it NOT a normal failure. Its pretty rare IMO but not seeing all of the parts is a bit misleading as to the actual root cause. Any history on it?

Because you mention parting it out it sounds like there is a place and tools to perform repairs. So, if that is true it now becomes a time vs $$$ aspect.

FWIW: This is what I see and how I drew this guesstimate style conclusion.

- If it were over-rev'd the rods cap stretches and fails. **Most often** the rod bolts and part of the cap are remain affixed to the rod even when driven out the side of the block by the crankshaft.
- if it ran out of oil at a steady state RPM:
1 of 2 things:
1) the rod would be discolored from heat, its end would be blue from burning up with no lube. This pictures shows no signs of being hot.
2) the cylinders piston stops moving and seizes in the bore. However, as it seizes there is reduced load on the rod as the engine is not making power. This failure mode is more likely in 2 strokes than a 4 strokes.

This looks like mechanical failure of the fastener. The question is WHY?
53515d1401644394-general-advice-after-massive-engine-failure-img_2342-1-jpg

So - I bet this engine was apart at some point in its life and either the bolt was not torqued back to spec properly or it was over-torque'd (think STRETCHED), and the stretched bolt had a latent failure.
If it shows evidence of being apart - do you have or were you informed of all details about its history? Did someone withhold information at the time of purchase??

Keep in mind that poorly maintained engines with dirty oil and few oil changes often loose rod bearings. They wear away at a rate that allows LOTS of oil through the bearing (it loose now from wear) and that oil sprays all over the piston and cylinder liner. The piston lives while the rod bearing fails. The engine will knock something horrible once the rod bearing clearances open up.

Dirty oil: think abrasive cutting fluid wearing away at critical components...

I'd like to know more history and if you see extra sealant around the blocks casings.

Rsaliga

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the insight, in regards the the engine it didn't show any signs of having been taken apart, but I'm not an expert. The engine always ran smooth and started right up. It still starts right up, well at least 3 of the cylinders :p

I would have the space and tools to part it out, but I won't have time to even think of it until august… the best option is looking like I should try and sell it as is. Not sure realistically how much I could get for it. Any thoughts if I found the right buyer?

Rsaliga

Reaction score
Visit site

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
But would the 07 fit inside the 06... I know 07-09 is considered second gen right? and also a project of this nature is certainly well beyond my mechanical capabilities especially if there is potential for other issues.

You might throw up a request and see if someone is willing to help in your area! I bet someone bites!

Its and option....

Also - having both engines - you have everything need to swap it. Mechanically its a drop in. You use your sensors and F/I, throttle bodies etc. Its doable. If someone here landed in this position, I'd help!

Rsaliga

Reaction score
Visit site
The seller replied this motor removed from the bike with only 4,700 miles

I am very hesitant looking at this because the post claims it "turns over but has unknown running condition" seems like a large investment for something which might not work

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Seriously a motor with 4,700 miles should be trouble free. I have nothing to lose or gain by you fixing your bike and I do not represent that seller on Ebay. Buying anything used carries some risk. I am sure when your motor exploded you felt a wave of sadness. I had this happen to me with a Pontiac motor in my Firebird back in the day decades ago. Hopefully now after a little time gone by you have had some time to think and can make a good decision

But if you do decide to part out your bike I will be glad to take on any risk that carries. We love to buy parts here.

I would rather see you transplant a motor in there, dude, and keep riding.

Last edited:

Rsaliga

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, I should have posted sooner, I have been busy studying for the MCAT, but I did end up buying the engine, I got it for $750 including shipping I was pleased. The engine broke loose from the pallet during shipping, but didnt appear damaged.

dKcC8tU.jpg

I ended up doing the swap this past weekend, It took me much more than 5 hours, I was in over my head, but a friend helped me along. The only problem I ran into is that the 07' has a different exhaust, and the oil pan is shaped different so there was a small bump right where the 06 exhaust ran. I was able to dent my pipe just enough to fit around it. I also swapped out my cover for the one damaged one. The engine started right up and has run well so far. only ridden it about 30 miles.

DWSWKjH.jpg

8m91IFP.jpg

Thanks again for all the advice, and finding the Engine! Its great to be riding again :thumbup:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good Job! :thumbup:

Glad you got it back together! Any words of advice should someone tackle this at home?

Also, what are your plan for the old engine? Any interest in looking to see "why this happened?

Thanks for sharing!

Rsaliga

Reaction score
Visit site
here is a Picture of the exhaust, the nub on the oil pan is in the center of the bike. It pressed right into where the two pipes were welded into one. The 07' exhaust has a central bracket at the bottom, and doesn't join into one pipe until a little further back.

8DkAgtl.jpg

Rsaliga

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope no one else has the misfortune I did, but if you do have to swap out your engine, or any other intensive project here are a few things I found helpful. My first tip is to stay organized. Also if you are not very knowledgeable of engines, take lots of pictures at every step. This also helps with how to route the wires properly. for me lifting the engine back in was the hardest part, luckly I had 3 others to help me. I am sure two people could do it, but it would be much more difficult.

A few things I did which helped when putting the bike back together
  • Put all the screws that were removed into plastic sandwich bags. Then label each bag with the bike part they came off of. Fairing, gas tank, battery, ect.

• If the part was actually removed from the bike tape the plastic bag holding the hardware to the part

• Use masking tape and a sharpie to label all the hoses and connectors. Labeling the hoses is most important because basically all look the same.

• with your finger put a little bit of oil around the rubber seals of the throttle bodies and airbox when replacing them so they are easy to slip on.

• do your research on the internet, If you have a problem chances are someone else has dealt with it already.

• Download the service manuals for your bike. I got mine from Bonemans fz6 site Boneman's FZ6 Site - Mods

As for the old engine, I probably won't have time to look at it until August. But I do want to find out what happened and why. And then I'll try and sell what I can to whomever needs the parts.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All very good tips! Tks! I recall doing allot of those things when replacing the heads on a V6 Nissan. So many small hoses and bolts!
Yes, have a process and be consistent! Enjoy your summer and I'd like to know the root cause. Ps keep the pan, you might want to swap it one day!