GEN I FZ1 Project

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Since I am almost out of the water with my last project, (07' FZ6 that I had to Turn-Away due to job/location changes) I have decided to jump back in again! Just picked up a 2001 FZ1 which needs a bit of TLC. The price and location made it too good of a deal to pass up. Pictures for your viewing pleasure:

6043551253_7b2f97a355_z.jpg

6043551113_5f3bf6a4b3_z.jpg

6043551187_fc4cca83af_z.jpg

I will be sure to update my progress as things...progress (too many progresses?)

This looks like it will turn out to be a nice bike after the kinks are worked out; I am looking forward to it! :thumbup:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks nice, I like the headlight setup.

Thank you; needs some loving care to get it running properly.

Like the headlights...want to buy them?;) I am not a huge fan of the Buell-Style headlight on this particular bike. Sadly, I don;t know what I want yet???

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update:

Tear down has begun; Steps 1 - 10 are diagnosing the "rough-running" issues. I think I may have found a few areas which may, just may, have contributed to the unsteady running characteristics and battery draining:

1: Main line to fuel pump routed improperly causing a kink.

2: Bird-Nest #1. I counted six (6) splices in a single run of wire to the ignition switch! Not only where there too many connections (and the ignition tucked under the seat) but the wire gauge was unsuitable for the power connection to the switch. The line was literally too-hot to touch when the bike was running.

3: "Aftermarket" Tank vent hoses. Again, the routing caused the lines to pinch when the tank is let-down to its seated position. Kinking of the main air vent can cause sporadic fuel delivery.

4: Bird-Nest #2. The picture speaks for itself on this one!

5: Various exposed, broken, and pinched wires. Its a wonder that this thing actually ran at all!

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to show the beginning of the wire clean-up. I have a new headlight harness on the way so i can properly wire the headlight and the new (Secret ;) ) Speedometer.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great project.....love the Gen 1 FZ1's, thought of getting one myself, and going nuts on it, and may still do one day!

Am pretty much subscribed to this project...cant wait to follow your progress!

:D:D:D

Is'nt it just so much fun, pulling these things apart, and making them "right"!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Like the headlights...want to buy them?;) I am not a huge fan of the Buell-Style headlight on this particular bike. Sadly, I don;t know what I want yet???

+1 on getting rid of the headliight....looks naff, not a fan of the twin headlight set up either.

:thumbup:

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Yeah I might buy them for the Bandit 1200 as I really don't like the factory setup at all. This winter and work will say what I have to spend o extra stuff. :thumbup:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to do the same kind of thing to my wife's FZS 400, I got the parts to do the cam chain way back in June but it's just getting motivated to haul the bike to my mate in the next town and get to work.

Her bike has a tray above the carbs that sits on the frame rails and supports the electrics. You might want to look into that part, I am sure there should be one on this bike too.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to do the same kind of thing to my wife's FZS 400, I got the parts to do the cam chain way back in June but it's just getting motivated to haul the bike to my mate in the next town and get to work.

Her bike has a tray above the carbs that sits on the frame rails and supports the electrics. You might want to look into that part, I am sure there should be one on this bike too.

Timing is always tough with things like this. Finding the free moments where you can dedicate a few hours seem that they are getting harder and harder to find.

I will definitely look into this. It would be nice if there were a "shelf" of sorts to keep the wiring separated from the other components. Thank you for the heads-up.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well...married...moved...and finally have had some time to put toward the project. A quick teaser shot of where I stand; More to follow this week!:thumbup:

My apologies for the photo quality
FZ1Project001.jpg

Last edited: