Gas Tank Leaking from Underneath

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So as the title states when I returned to my bike today I noticed a small pool of fluids next to the kick-stand. At first I thought somehow oil was leaking from the drain plug but I noticed the bike was damp above that...tracing the leak up, I flipped up the tank and sure enough the thing bolted on the bottom of the tank (which I sagely presume to be the fuel pump) is leaking gas at a visible clip.

It's slow enough that I could make it the ~40 miles back and only lose 1 bar on the fuel meter, but it's definitely leaking. I checked the hex-head bolts underneath with the allen wrench included in the tool kit and they are tight. The fuel appears to be leaking from around the pump seal, since the paint is peeling up.

I assume that a gasket is leaking. Since I'm currently on vacation, it will be a while before I can get my trusted mechanics to have a look, so the plan is to call up a Suzuki place and have them order and replace the fuel pump seal. So:

What do you guys think is wrong?

EDIT: It's leaking around the outside of part #9 on the following link:

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W FUEL TANK Diagram

Is the part #12 o-ring leaking or am I in worse trouble?

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's Scary! ^^

No chance its the fuel hose between the tank and the TB fuel manifold? The other thing I would be suspect of is a crack in the pumps outlet itself. Is there any chance something hit it or pressed on the outlet to damage it?

I'm pretty sure it a flat O'ring but it only comes with the pump. Others may carry it as replacement i.e. not OEM part??

Here's an image parts layout - http://joiseyboyz.com/moto/fz607/fueltank.gif

from: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/50116-2007-fz6-parts-reference-diagram-images-x46.html

Also the 2nd post here has some pictures of the fuel pump removed. No gasket in any of them. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...mpact-trouble-shooting-maintenance-guide.html

Hey if you have a Gas burning water heater or other forms of ignition get the the gas out or PROP the tank if the level is low enough to contain it in maner that it won't leak.

Be safe!

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To be honest the underside was sufficiently damp and dripping that it was hard to tell exactly what the source was, but the paint all around part #9 was peeled up indicating it was coming from there. I can check the hose you speak of tomorrow, but the hose fittings all seemed more or less tight when I (ever so gently) tugged on them. Doesn't mean they aren't ruptured.

I am thinking now, based on mild Google searching, that either I have a dead O-ring or the tank is rusted out. I suppose there's no way to tell until a mechanic opens the thing up.

I'm pretty sure it a flat O'ring but it only comes with the pump.

That sounds like it could be bad news. Could a leaky O-ring at least be the problem?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To be honest the underside was sufficiently damp and dripping that it was hard to tell exactly what the source was, but the paint all around part #9 was peeled up indicating it was coming from there. I can check the hose you speak of tomorrow, but the hose fittings all seemed more or less tight when I (ever so gently) tugged on them. Doesn't mean they aren't ruptured.

I am thinking now, based on mild Google searching, that either I have a dead O-ring or the tank is rusted out. I suppose there's no way to tell until a mechanic opens the thing up.

That sounds like it could be bad news. Could a leaky O-ring at least be the problem?

^^ its one we've never seen before, but you know how that goes, someone has to be the first! :(

I could not find a picture of the fuel hose but its a high pressure hose and it could be damaged and leak. Its just a tiny Oring and it could happen. To your point, it doesn't explain the lost paint and potentially any leak or crack on the HIGH PRESSURE SIDE, would leak much worse with the pump on so I think you may have hit the nail on the head with a rusty tank.

What's the history on it since its purchase date and today? Has it sat for a long time w/low miles?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Part #12 is the o-ring you need.

Yamaha recommends not re-using it although I have without issue twice. ("Not re-useable")

The last new fuel tank got a new o-ring (its cheap enough).

You can stretch it around the pump itself without pulling the pump out altogether. Just remove the aluminum retainer, pull the pump a couple of inches out, swap out 0-rings and put back together.

That aluminum retainer only goes on one way and is torqued to 2.9 ft lbs ((yes 2.9 ft lbs)) in a criss cross pattern. The o-ring resides around the end of the pump(see below pic)

O-rings will flatten out with age.

You can see in the below pic's, especially the pump itself, the black o-ring at the very end of the pump.

If the tank is close to empty, you can replace tha seal with the tank still attached (unplugged of course) to the hinge bolt. Might be easier actually as the tank is held semi tight, any fuel inside is now at the bottom.

It'll take as long to raise the tank as to swap out that o-ring..

I still have the original o-ring (boxed up with the below tank for sale), As noted I replaced it finally with this last fuel tank. If its back ordered, PM me and you can have this one (looks fine and obviously, MUCH better than yours-never leaked)..

Last edited:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ its one we've never seen before, but you know how that goes, someone has to be the first! :(

I could not find a picture of the fuel hose but its a high pressure hose and it could be damaged and leak. Its just a tiny Oring and it could happen. To your point, it doesn't explain the lost paint and potentially any leak or crack on the HIGH PRESSURE SIDE, would leak much worse with the pump on so I think you may have hit the nail on the head with a rusty tank.

What's the history on it since its purchase date and today? Has it sat for a long time w/low miles?

Mama always said I was special.

So there actually is a bit of rust inside the lip of the tank, and I peeled back some of the bubbled up paint under the tank at the leak and there were rust spots. There is a very real possibility that the tank has a hole due to rust. (Now I know why you're supposed to look for rust under the gas cap). When I bought the bike it had ~16k miles, that was about a year ago. It was truthfully not in the best condition.

As of right now I'm getting a spare O-ring from Scott, if that doesn't fix it well...things are gonna get expensive when we ship a tank overnight to Houston.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As promised, should you have to pull the pump out altogether, its much easier to disconnect (inside the tank) the fuel sender switch from the pump (see below pic):

Push the arrow in the direction pointed, the two will slide apart. For re-installation, it can go back in the tank as ONE UNIT.

The tank is ready to go should you need it.

Last edited:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome, thanks a bunch!

As much as I don't want to have to switch out my gas tank in the parking lot, that is a fine specimen. I find it kind of funny that tank didn't meet your exacting standards. :thumbup:

So is the fuel tank lid the kind of thing I unscrew from my bike and plop right on?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome, thanks a bunch!

As much as I don't want to have to switch out my gas tank in the parking lot, that is a fine specimen. I find it kind of funny that tank didn't meet your exacting standards. :thumbup:

So is the fuel tank lid the kind of thing I unscrew from my bike and plop right on?

Three of the screws visable up top have to come off, one other screw is under the cap. Once those are all off, it's free.

Also, make sure when setting the tank back down, the vent and over flow hoses (at the inner top of the tank) are NOT KINKED or you WILL have more issues.. Just follow them with your hand, gently pull them back to where they belong.. :thumbup:

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know of a gasoline proof/ or very resistant sealer (preferably from Autozone) to use under the fuel pump/tank?

Just a temp fix as the tank is rusty and 800 miles plus from home.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So the parking lot surgery is complete and the fresh O-ring is in. Bike appears to be holding fuel just fine, but I left a bloody pool of spilt fuel on the ground as sign of the surgery performed. :thumbup:

Big thanks go out to Scott (Townsendsfjr). Without your help I'd be in trouble! He supplied the fresh O-ring, located the sealant, and was more than helpful in information for completing the task of O-ring transplant.

I took some camera-phone pictures of the dead O-ring.

A

Hopefully that loads. Anyway, you can see the damage. It's not clear from the photo what exactly is wrong, but the damaged part of the O-ring is actually cut through and loose -- you can pull that chunk out with your finger.

Where that damage came from, and why the tank suddenly started leaking, I do not know.

Edit: The pictures don't appear to load, try this URL:

asdf - screwed up ring

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know of a gasoline proof/ or very resistant sealer (preferably from Autozone) to use under the fuel pump/tank?

Just a temp fix as the tank is rusty and 800 miles plus from home.

RTV black silicone works great for stuff like this. Run a bead and let it skin up for about 15-20 minutes and assemble your parts. Don't assemble super tight until after about 30-40 minutes.

So the parking lot surgery is complete and the fresh O-ring is in. Bike appears to be holding fuel just fine, but I left a bloody pool of spilt fuel on the ground as sign of the surgery performed. :thumbup:

Big thanks go out to Scott (Townsendsfjr). Without your help I'd be in trouble! He supplied the fresh O-ring, located the sealant, and was more than helpful in information for completing the task of O-ring transplant.

I took some camera-phone pictures of the dead O-ring.

A

Hopefully that loads. Anyway, you can see the damage. It's not clear from the photo what exactly is wrong, but the damaged part of the O-ring is actually cut through and loose -- you can pull that chunk out with your finger.

Where that damage came from, and why the tank suddenly started leaking, I do not know.

Edit: The pictures don't appear to load, try this URL:

asdf - screwed up ring

Looks like that seal is made of an inner and outer section and the outer part became compromised. Maybe it had a small cut/defect in it and pressure over time took it's toll?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
RTV black silicone works great for stuff like this. Run a bead and let it skin up for about 15-20 minutes and assemble your parts. Don't assemble super tight until after about 30-40 minutes.

Looks like that seal is made of an inner and outer section and the outer part became compromised. Maybe it had a small cut/defect in it and pressure over time took it's toll?

Naw, that seal is one piece. Flat on one side(pump side), tappered down towards the middle. (Its very stout) New, it fits over the pump and isn't loose..

If its actually cut, who ever installed it (factory or afterwards) was sloppy (or possibly intentional?)

Mark, it held fuel overnight with no leaking? (there was some rust issues, thus the sealer-normally not used)

Double click to enlarge

Last edited:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mark, it held fuel overnight with no leaking? (there was some rust issues, thus the sealer-normally not used)

Double click to enlarge

We'll find out after I leave and get a chance to walk through the parking lot, but I topped it up yesterday and it seemed to be holding. :thumbup:

It sort of looks to me like it was pinched somehow, which makes me think (like you said) that it was installed incorrectly...

But who knows. If it holds, I'm happy.

Maybe it had a small cut/defect in it and pressure over time took it's toll?

Also very possible.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it a flat O'ring but it only comes with the pump. Others may carry it as replacement i.e. not OEM part??

The O-ring is available separatly for the pump/fuel tank, part #12 (OEM):

Its a beveled ring on one side, flat on the other, sits inbetween the pump and tank. It can be changed out with simply pulling the pump 2" out from the tank(full removal NOT needed). The one I shipped was my spare-(used)

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W FUEL TANK Diagram

*Also, if that didn't fix the leak, plan "B" was my spare 07 tank overnighted to him as he's 800+ miles from home, no tanks/seals in stock without waiting..

That or rent a U-haul truck and cart it home...:(