Votes: 174 37.0%
  • Change brands / type of bike

Votes: 85 18.1%

• Total voters

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
What Dealer would say something like that... unless they have a few 2005's still in storage.

The 2006 is the newer design. The 05 and earlier had old style engine, carburetors and steel frames. They weighed more and had less horsepower.

I test rode a 2004 FZ1 before I bought my 2004 FZ6. It felt like my 79 CB750F and not in a good way....

I'm dying to test ride a newer FZ1 though. :)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Insurance is cheap on an FZ1 too, full coverage, 100/300/50, married, 47, no tickets, $250 deductible, blah, blah, blah is $248 a year.

In comparison my Buell 1125R was about $800 a year, then bumped to $1,200 a year.

If torn between an FZ8 and an FZ1 I'd find a good, clean, stock FZ1. They can be had for about $5,000 to $6,000 for an '09 to '11. I bought my '06 18 months ago for $4,000. They are an outstanding value.

arless

Reaction score
Visit site
As I have already sold my -6 due to financial straights, I'd probably consider buying a clean example of a used -6, when I am more solvent.... possibly an '07 or later.

Depending on how long that takes, my range of choices will broaden. Adding less than 200 cc and a bit more oomph down low isn't a bad thing; if the price for that was similar to the -6's price, I'd consider it.

I like the idea of the detuned motor, due to the longevity that will result in. The bearings, clutch, crank, rods, tranny are all designed for a higher HP application.... backing that off by 20% (or whatever the difference in power really amounts to from the FZ1 'down' to the FZ8) has a big, big impact on motor 'life'.

Inverted forks are a good thing, if the design still allows for relatively easy modification (new springs, altered damping) I wouldn't be too concerned ... it'd be nicer to have the 'good' bits right out of the box, but the price for that is usually too steep to make it worthwhile.

If the insurance is more reasonable than what a liter bike will wallop you for, and the driveline can take whatever you can dish out.... overall that's not a bad thing. Sure did work for Suzuki with the Katana series for a very, very long time.....

You have to look at the size of the motor and rpm which the 8 will pull 12,000 at the limiter. I'd go with the tried and tested 07 FZ1. A slightly used fz1 priced right, would seal the deal for me. Or buy a used R1 of 07 or later model and work backwards with risers and controls and comfy seats. The Sky is the limit. AND YES I KNOW HOW OLD THIS POST IS SO... NUFF SAID. THE BEST ARLESS:Sport::hijack: AND OR GET THE 8 NEW AND YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'VE GOT!!!???

Last edited:

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I also know this is an old thread, but in case someone does a search before posting a new thread...

I rode a 2012 FZ8 yesterday, along with a 2012 FZ6R at a Yamaha demo day. I liked the smoother ride of the FZ8, more comfy seat, and smoother airflow due to no windscreen, but other then that I was a bit disappointed - not because it wasn't a nice bike, but because I think I expected more. The power seemed about the same as my 06 FZ6, the tank felt a lot wider, and the bike didn't feel as agile. I have never ridden an FZ1, and this is the only time I've ever ridden an FZ8 so I'm sure I'm not the best to give an opinion, but I don't think I'd trade my '06 FZ6 for the 2012 FZ8. That being said (and to muck up the waters a bit), had I bought the FZ8 without riding my FZ6 I'd probably be just as happy as I am now. Can't say that I'd feel the same about the FZ1, but I'd love to ride one of those and find out.

BTW, I liked the 2012 FZ6R too. The power band was flat and not nearly as strong as the FZ6, but it was a fun little bike. Not sure about the size difference between the FZ6 and FZ6R, but it felt smaller and a bit lighter as well. As someone said when I asked about the two before I bought my FZ6, I probably would have gotten board with the FZ6R, but I still would have liked it :)

Last edited:

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
I had an 07 FZ1 and now have an 07 FZ6. For in-town and short weekend jaunts, I think the FZ6 fits the bill perfectly. For longer touring, I don't think either is ideal.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased a FZ1 that was the same year as my FZ6 and for me the insurance with the same coverage was no different in pricing. This actually surprised me because I thought it would go up. (State Farm)

I like the FZ6 and want to keep it but riding the FZ1 is really nice. I haven't riden on the FZ8 but I did ride with a guy who had one. I really couldn't see any advantages of it. It was bigger, heavier than the FZ6 but not as much power as the FZ1. It had more of a street fighter look but I like the sporty look of the full fairings.

I haven't really gotten on the FZ1 like I have with my FZ6 yet, but I almost feel like I don't have to and still get the same feeling of riding.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
This has got to be one of the best looking stock Fz anything I've ever seen!!!
View attachment 42923

I saw it the other day when I was at the dealer. Even though I think the 8 looks WAY better, I'd still get a 1.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I like the bike, I just can't get over that Transformer looking headlight, same think I didn't like on the FZ6R - but the FZ8 light does look a lot better then the FZ6R . I much prefer a dual headlight setup, but I think a single headlight could have been designed to look a little better. The FZ8 is a great riding bike as well, I had an opportunity to ride one a few weeks ago at an event at my local Yamaha dealer. Although we only rode about 6 miles, it was enough to know I'd like it if I had one. I'm not gonna trade my FZ6 any time soon, but if something happened to it I would definitely consider the FZ8 and a replacement although the FZ1 would probably be my first choice (except for that terrible gas mileage, yuck!).

Last edited:

Poot

Thank God ^ was there!
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, I would keep my '06 FZ6 especially since I just got it this week!

But if I had to get a new bike, it would be the FZ8. I really like the naked look of it, and trust in any product that Yamaha builds.

Thew FZ1 doesn't have the looks that I would be looking for in a new bike, but sure does have the power.

Nakked ftw!

VUU

VW gearhead
Reaction score
Visit site
If I woke up tomorrow and found my fz6 gone and a stack of cash in its place Honestly I would have to choose between going for the GSXR-750 and the FJR1300A, as it stands though my FZ6 is my baby, been in love with her for six years ever since I rode off the lot with five miles on the odo not getting rid of her anytime soon.

I will say though between the FZ1 and the 8 I would go for the 8 and never look back, I like the fairingless look and overall I think the FZ8 just appeals to me more, plus I commute and tour on my six so fuel mileage is a big concern for me.

Brian_N

Reaction score
Visit site
You may have all read this one already but if not it's interesting.
I just got a 2008 FZ6 and l looked hard at the new FZ8.

It was a simple equation really 3,800 + taxes & title for the 6 or 8,700 + taxes & title (sure that could have been negotiated) for the 8. For me at this stage of the game less than half the $ was the way to go. If an 8 was a few years old and on the used market I would take an even harder look. She's a nice ride--reminds me of my old Speed Triple a lil' (mostly in the looks department). That's a good thing.

Think I would pick up a Street Triple before an FZ8 but I don't think you would be going wrong with any of the bikes in this article-- to my taste that is.

As it stands, I believe the FZ6 was a good choice and will be with me for a long time.

:D

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I just asked the dealer to get me prices out the door for each. 2012 Fz8 out the door 9200. 2013 Fz1 out the door 12600 (I think is what he said). He did say that either bike will increase my insurance rate :(. I will probably stay with the Fz6

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site