• FZ6 / Keep my FZ6

Votes: 174 37.0%
  • Change brands / type of bike

Votes: 85 18.1%

• Total voters

TAPnTX

Reaction score
Visit site
For me I am very happy with the smaller HP bikes. After owning several Liter sport bikes and the Bandit 1250s. I came to the conclusion I lack discipline with my right hand and end up always being in the triple digit speeds. That HP is very addicting!!!

On the other hand, when I switched from an 06 cbr1000rr and went to the new 07 600rr I was actually faster. I will say riding the smaller cc bikes is more fun. You have to work the gear box a little harder. On the liter bikes you can just leave it in the same gear most of the time.

Now to really confuse you, if I came across a smoking deal on a newer FZ1 I would probably have it in my garage.

If I am not mistaken, the FZ8 does not have as much adjustment on the suspension as the FZ1 does.

Todd

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For me I am very happy with the smaller HP bikes. After owning several Liter sport bikes and the Bandit 1250s. I came to the conclusion I lack discipline with my right hand and end up always being in the triple digit speeds. That HP is very addicting!!!

On the other hand, when I switched from an 06 cbr1000rr and went to the new 07 600rr I was actually faster. I will say riding the smaller cc bikes is more fun. You have to work the gear box a little harder. On the liter bikes you can just leave it in the same gear most of the time.

Now to really confuse you, if I came across a smoking deal on a newer FZ1 I would probably have it in my garage.

If I am not mistaken, the FZ8 does not have as much adjustment on the suspension as the FZ1 does.

Todd

The FZ8 from memory has the same adjustability in it's suspension as the FZ6....rebound damping only on the rear...rest is non adjustable...i think.

The FZ8 is also very heavy off the line, and just like the FZ6 doesnt get moving till over 7000rpm (in the FZ8's case), which is only about 1000rpm lower down the rev range than when the FZ6 changes character!

the FZ8 weighs more than an FZ6...Significantly so i think, and it only has marginably more HP...but it does have those great FZ1 looks!

:thumbup:

Nice bike, could of been so much more IMHO!

stoggy

Reaction score
Visit site
i had an 05 FZ6 and moved to a 07 FZ1.

I liked my FZ6. I like my FZ1. I wish I still had the FZ6. The FZ1 is great and it CAN rip my arms off if i disconnect my brain from my right wrist. Which is fun. The FZ6 could only stretch my arms out.

Day to Day though, I like the FZ6 better. Better gas mileage. I was getting ~50mpg on FZ6 and about ~35mpg on the FZ1. All kinds of riding, average over 2 years on each. The FZ6 was my first street bike so maybe that got it a little higher then i would now. Everyone has told me that if i go back to a 600 ill be constantly ringing its neck. need to go back and ride one again to see for myself.

Cant wait to see the salesman when I say, I want to ride that one and that one and that one and maybe that one.

Insurance for liability only is like $5 difference for me between the FZ6 and FZ1. Never checked on a FZ8 or FJR.

On long rides I like my FZ1 better, it has a more upright sitting position and the 2x4 on it is easier on my butt. I did and still do take 8+ hour rides every sat and sun, its just fun. Thats my favorite part of a motorcycle. Fz6 did great at it.

I test rode the FZ1 before i bought it and it was great i really enjoyed the test ride. Hard to get a figure on mpg on 1 15mile ride though. Im not knocking the FZ1 at all and im not running out to sell it but when i go to get another I will test ride the FZ6r and FZ8 and FJR. I figure i know what a FZ1 is like by now. Unless they revamp it.

Oh what to do? I know im going riding!!!

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
when, or if, the times comes for me to change for more displacement,
it's not a given that it would be the 8 or the 1, Triumph Tiger is a strong
contender, as is the F800GS

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
I had an '09 FZ6, and last month test rode the FZ8 and FZ1 at one of the travelling Yamaha road shows, and I traded the FZ6 for an FZ1 the following week. Both the FZ8 and FZ1 are easier bikes to ride on the street due to the power delivery curves. I liked the FZ6 and also like the FZ8 but the street prices for a '09 FZ1 are less than a '11 FZ8. Plus I like the features better on the FZ1 (fairing, adjustability). This is one of those discussions that really can't be answered unless one rides all three of these machines back to back to back.

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I've read there isn't a whole lot about the FZ8 that I'm in love with. I'll be sticking to my 04 FZ6, thank you. The insurance industry sees 1000 cc's and charges through the nose for it.:spank:

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Going back to the original question, I would take the FZ1 over the FZ8. I'm lovin' the FZ6 and have no plans to change, but if I had to choose then for sure the FZ1 - although in my case only because I would be looking for a good sport touring set up.

ghostrider951

Reaction score
Visit site
i own a 2006 fz6 and absolutely love my bike, i've had for 2 and a half years now, and it still excites me till this day, but i just test rode an 07 fz1, and it was badass, i would definitely get one in the future, the power band on the fz1 is so sick, but for my kind of riding the fz6 is perfect because it has plenty of passing power, and im mostly a commuter and getting 50-55 mpg makes the fz6 perfect for me

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha Australia has continued to sell both FZ6 variants (N&S), alongside both variants of the FZ8 (N&S), and FZ1 (N&S) in Australia, and the FZ6N is $2000 cheaper than the FZ8N, and for the FZ6S, That's $2500 cheaper than the FZ8S!! apart from looks, there is not that much different between the FZ6& FZ8 equipment specification, weight, and power wise...

Guess which bike out of the FZ6 and FZ8 has been moving off shop floors....the FZ6!

In fact, the FZ8 has not had great reviews in Australia, and has really been a bit of a flop in Australia....

Prices for FZ6, FZ8, and FZ1, in Australia, as listed by Yamaha.

FZ6N: $10990
FZ6S: $11490

FZ8N: $12990
FZ8S: $13990

FZ1N: $15990
FZ1S: $16490

And dont forget, you can buy good, low kilometre FZ1's in Australia for well under $10000...

I find it very strange that the FZ6, and FZ8 are sold alongside each other in Australia...

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I made a similar thread a month or 2 back:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/39874-fz8.html

I did a little research and here's what I found:

---------------------------2008 Fz6----------2010 Fz8----------2010 Fz1---------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Power:--------------------96.55 HP----------104.73 HP--------147.91 HP-------
Torque:-------------------46.5 ft.lbs---------60.5 ft.lbs--------78.2 ft.lbs-------
Dry weight:--------------407.9 lbs-----------465.2 lbs---------458 lbs----------
Power/weight ratio:-----0.47 Hp/Kg-------0.4964 HP/kg----0.7470 HP/kg----
Fuel capacity:------------5.13 gallons-------4.49 gallons-----5.55 gallons----
Fuel economy:-----------45 mpg-------------39.8 mpg---------36 mpg---------

*All specifications are taken from bikez.com under their review section.

The fz8 is practically the same as the fz1 (which is roughly 50lb more than the fz6). For the same extra weight, the 8 produces 18lb of torque less with 40hp less, with a power to weight ratio of .25 hp/kg less than the fz1.

Considering the cost difference between the fz6 and the fz8 - then the fz6 and the fz1....you would get more bang for your buck if you were looking to upgrade - by going with the fz1. Statistically the fz1 is the way to go - visually though I LOVE the fz8.

Thats my conclusion - fz1 all the way.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't agree with you chunky, specs say NOTHING at all.
The fz8 has a MUCH smoother ride compared to the fz1, and the seating position is more focused on touring as well.
I owned a fz1 and fz6, and before I bought the fz1 I tested the fz8.
The fz8 is a perfect replacement for an fz6. A little more torque, but otherwise the same, except more refined. But if you already own an fz6, there is little reason to upgrade.
The FZ1 is a completely different bike. More sportsbike, somewhat less comfortable, and much more powerfull.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Imo the fz8 is a more of a bike dedicated to a specific rider, someone wanting a little more then the fz6 but not as much as the fz1. But if one was wanting to upgrade from a fz6 to either a fz8 or fz1 imo i think i would be disapointed with 8 after coming off 6. Therefore would rather truely upgrade to a fz1 vs just going a little more up with the 8. But to each his own.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Nick329

Reaction score
Visit site
If I did not already have the fz6 I would consider an fz8. There are not many 800cc bikes to pick from and the fz8 would be more desirable, for me anyway, because of the cheaper insurance for a sub-1000cc bike and I would imagine that you would have more usable power in the low range that would benefit commuting (which is the majority of my riding).
While it is close to the weight of the fz1, the fz8 has much more torque than the 6, so I believe it would be a blast to drive around town and I'm sure it would be fun in the twisties as well.
While it might not be considered a "step up" from the fz6 by some, I believe it would be a great replacement for the fz6 since they are not sold in the U.S. anymore.
My original choice before the fz6 was a vfr800, but they are few and far between and much more expensive than the fz6 was.
The fz6 has done everything I wanted and is much more capable than I am so I have not been disappointed.
It all comes down to what you want and need the bike to do. :thumbup:

Just my .02

D

Dave.TX

The fz8 is a perfect replacement for an fz6. A little more torque, but otherwise the same, except more refined. But if you already own an fz6, there is little reason to upgrade.

I would have to agree. In the U.S. the 6 isn't sold anymore so the 8 would be a good replacement if starting off new.

As for me, I'm leaning more towards sport touring so after the 6 is paid off or sold I'll be looking more towards the BMW F800ST, Triumph Sprint ST/GT or even an FJR. Would love to have an FZ1 as a second bike.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
ill be honest, i voted for the 1. but if i had a money tree growing in my back yard... id wait till the Motus MST-R comes out and buy two of them. and there are rumors from the company of building a streetfighter. whats not to like about 160hp from a v4 and a straight torque curve on a comfy seat.:Flash:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How come Yamaha Dealers declare the '06 and earlier FZ1's are superior to the newer FZ1?

An '06 is a newer one and who are the dealers that say this?

The difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 is night and day.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
How come Yamaha Dealers declare the '06 and earlier FZ1's are superior to the newer FZ1?

What Dealer would say something like that... unless they have a few 2005's still in storage.

The 2006 is the newer design. The 05 and earlier had old style engine, carburetors and steel frames. They weighed more and had less horsepower.