Fz6S

Toympas

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, i got the Fz6S '99 version just yesterday and i got a couple issues.

First of all, the speedometer's needle goes up and down! Even when im just sitting on the bike with engine running, and i move up and down violently, it starts to move!

Second, when i release the handlebar, it starts to tankslapping kinda. The bike came with a big middle case on the rear, but even after removing the case still same thing happened.

The bike wears 160sh tire (maybe its 170 cant remember!) Does it worth going on and install a 180sh tire?

I'm expecting your feedback,
Thanx, me :)

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
a 99 has a lot of potential for a rough life before now. I am guessing some electrical issue is causing the tach to jump around, usually there is a Tack wire that is going to the distributor, i would guess that this is frayed and possibly shorted somewhere along the way,

as far as the shaking it could be tweaked forks, unbalanced tire, tire out of round, or a bent rim on the front, i would doubt that it was the case causing the "tank slapping" but do not ride the bike until it is resolved since this can be very dangerous.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
SPEEDOMETER GOING UP AND DOWN
SHAKY HANDLEBARS

Check the problems in this order:

1) Tires. Are they worn or out of balance?
2) Rims. Are they warped or damaged?
3) Fork Clamp Bolts. Are they loose?
4) Engine Mounting Bolts. Do you have any other loose bolts?

NOW IT GETS HARD

5) Wheel Bearings. Are the front and/or rear wheel bearings worn?
6) Swingarm Bearings. Are the swingarm bearings worn?

I have a feeling that your SPEEDOMETER problem will go away if you fix the handlebar-shake.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I have a feeling that your SPEEDOMETER problem will go away if you fix the handlebar-shake.

First of all, the speedometer's needle goes up and down! Even when im just sitting on the bike with engine running, and i move up and down violently, it starts to move!

I doubt that the issues are related, if he is bouncing the bike without moving and the speedo is jumping around it is a separate issue.

Toympas

Reaction score
Visit site
For tires i changed em to Sportmax GPR and its all good now

As for the needle, removing the rim inorder to get the tire up and lubricating the end of the needle cord fixed the problem. Its all super now :) 240Km/h first time i opened up the gas. Its imporessive for a 1999 bike though! My other bike the 07 FZ1 Fazer did a 280 though hihi :D

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
With a bike that old check out your brakes very closely. Be sure to change the fluid and make sure the calipers are in good condition and not rusted. Look for rust on the brake piston. Brake fluid will absorb moisture and cause rust over time.