FZ6R handlebars: drill needed?

kevlarorc

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got an FZ6R handlebar to put on and after reading other threads with FZ1 bars, renthals, etc most people seemed to need a new hole drilled for the throttle mount. Is this necessary on the FZ6R bars or is the hole that is already there in the correct spot?

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got an FZ6R handlebar to put on and after reading other threads with FZ1 bars, renthals, etc most people seemed to need a new hole drilled for the throttle mount. Is this necessary on the FZ6R bars or is the hole that is already there in the correct spot?

Hi there, I too read some posts on handlebar swaps. Many have had no issue with not drilling and just removing the plastic tab that goes into said hole. The controls remained stable and did not rotate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

kevlarorc

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea I've seen that method but I'd rather keep it as stock as possible. I can drill it if necessary but it just means I will have to go buy the drill bits beforehand because I don't have any other transportation to go to a store once the bars are off.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I have done the FZ1 bar swap and faced the same problem.

My train of thought was that the plastic tab is probably just there to help get consistent controls position during assembly. It is easier to have a worker just dump the controls with the tab in a hole than to have said worker have to measure or eyball the correct position.

This is the same reason they have punchmarks showing where to align the bar with the clamp, etc, so that all bikes come out of the line exactly the same.

Now, saying that, it was so easy to drill the bar that i still did it rather than cut the tab... Just start with a punch mark and a pilot hole and you should be fine.

I think you can really go either way...

kevlarorc

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah that's true about the consistent fitment. I didn't think about that. In that case I guess I'll just cut it off since drilling adds quite a bit of time for me.

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah that's true about the consistent fitment. I didn't think about that. In that case I guess I'll just cut it off since drilling adds quite a bit of time for me.

Keep us posted. I'm thinking of the mod as well. Sat on a FZ6R today and didn't notice a difference. Think I'd have to have them side by side to see it.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Keep us posted. I'm thinking of the mod as well. Sat on a FZ6R today and didn't notice a difference. Think I'd have to have them side by side to see it.

From my previous research: (not my pictures)

The FZ1 bar has less angle and no rise (ie: it is flat)

FZ6 on top, FZ1 bottom:

The FZ6R bar has the same angle as the FZ1 bar but the same rise as the FZ6 stock bar.

FZ6R on top FZ6 on the bottom:

So basically if you have wrist pain because of the weird stock bar angle but enjoy the straight seating position try the FZ6R bar.
If you want the same nice angle but with lower handlebar and a bit more forward lean go for the FZ1 bar.

I went for the FZ1 bar and am really happy with them, the bike feels more aggressive and more flickable while still being very comfortable even on long rides.
I don't feel to stretched (i am 6'2"), but like the more aggressive riding position, it is a lot easier to tuck low and it doesn't hurt my wrists.

Here is a very good comparison made by ERCI:

Last edited:

kevlarorc

Reaction score
Visit site
I have FZ6R bars on mine and it was a 1:1 swap. No need to drill a hole in the bars or Dremel a tab off.:cheer:

I can confirm what kilgore said. Hole is already present on the FZ6R bar. Swap was quite easy. My only issue was I twice tightened down the clamp before I had gotten all the controls on both sides. I don't know what I was thinking. Everything feels a lot better already I just need to adjust the angle of my brakes and it will be perfect.

I did the BD43 light mod at the same time. Total time for both was about 4 hours and one hell of a sunburn. I work slow though.

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site

FZ6 on top, FZ1 bottom:

The FZ6R bar has the same angle as the FZ1 bar but the same rise as the FZ6 stock bar.

So basically if you have wrist pain because of the weird stock bar angle but enjoy the straight seating position try the FZ6R bar.
If you want the same nice angle but with lower handlebar and a bit more forward lean go for the FZ1 bar.

I went for the FZ1 bar and am really happy with them, the bike feels more aggressive and more flickable while still being very comfortable even on long rides.
I don't feel to stretched (i am 6'2"), but like the more aggressive riding position, it is a lot easier to tuck low and it doesn't hurt my wrists.

Thank you for this. Well, I'm 5'7". I'm coming off a katana 750 so I was comfortable in that position. I am finding the fz6 very upright. I knew this and don't regret it, but for the small price, I think I'll try the FZ1 bar. Winter project along with some other items. Thanks folks.

kevlarorc

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode about 650 miles yesterday with the fz6r bars. No wrist pain aside from fingers getting stiff. I had a cramp buster but it was only useful for a few seconds at a time to rest my fingers because it's hard to keep it from slipping around. I will be doing the same ride backwards again on Sunday. Everything's good aside from some spine pain around my shoulders.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
glad you like the fz6r bar. i did not find any discernable difference between the two bars (fz6r and fz6) but i seem to be the only one on the forum to not notice a difference maybe im insensitive or something.

the tab on the control helps to lock it in place when twisting the throttle. the torque of the screws is usually not enough to hold them in place and the controls would rotate. the tab locks them in place. trying to tighten the screws more usually strips the heads off.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode about 650 miles yesterday with the fz6r bars. No wrist pain aside from fingers getting stiff. I had a cramp buster but it was only useful for a few seconds at a time to rest my fingers because it's hard to keep it from slipping around. I will be doing the same ride backwards again on Sunday. Everything's good aside from some spine pain around my shoulders.

In my opinion new grips are really worth i to!
Because the stock grip are hard a slippery i found i would end up gripping them harder.
I swapped them for some Progrips 717, they are very soft and grippy and it allows for very very loose hold on the bars, without feeling like you are going to fly off. You can literally just rest your hands on the bars and still feel like you are in control, they just grip your gloves on! They also transmit less vibration.

Well worth the upgrade.

PS: they do have one issue, they are so soft they wear out pretty fast, i think they would probably need to be replaced every 10000 miles or so.

Last edited:

kierran87

Reaction score
Visit site

FZ6 on top, FZ1 bottom:

Hi, where did you get this FZ6 bar from, and would it fit OK on my 2004 FZ6?

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, where did you get this FZ6 bar from, and would it fit OK on my 2004 FZ6?

Hey.

I bought my FZ1 bar in the Uk at this place:

Yamaha Parts, Yamaha Spares & Yamaha Accessories

Part number 2D1261110100

I assume they would be able to get the FZ6R to.

All the bars should fit, just be aware you might need to drill a hole or two or get rid of the plastic tabs in the control hubs.
That is the case for the FZ1 bar, apparently not for the FZ6R one.

Very easy job to do.

Last edited:

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the FZ6R bar, no issues installing all the stock parts fit. Improves your wrist angle had it on for most of the season and no issues what's so ever we'll worth it.

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
Would just like to add to the discussion. Just ordered my FZ6R bars from partspak.com for $61 shipped! Completely OEM. Am sure you can get the FZ1 bars there as well

FZ6R bars part number is 20S261110100

Hessel

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys,

I own a 2009 FZ6N S2 and tried to change the stock handlebar to a FZ1 handle bar. When turning the steer, the end of the handlebar touches the tank. Did anyone of you experience this as well, and how did you solve this?

Off-topic; also looking for some new exhausts anything for sale?

Thanks,
Hessel

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hessel,

I probably read all the posts on here about handlebars when I was debating whether or not to change mine. The guys who move to the FZ1 bar have reported the issue with the tank. In several posts some of these guys report that they added risers, which are extensions to the clamps that hold the bar to the top of the triple tree. You can get risers that go straight up or risers that go up and move the bar closer to you so you have a more upright riding position.

I installed the FZ6R bars but didn't see any change in the numbness I was getting in my fingers. This wasn't a wrist problem. Then when I bought a Corbin seat, I found the best sitting spot was a bit farther back that on the stock seat and at that point I felt I was leaning forward too much. So now I'm back to the stock bars.

Chris

Hessel

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Chris, apparently I did not read all posts. However, after a lot of fiddling, I am also back to the stock bars. Fact is that I am not too unhappy with the stock bars, but wanted to try something different.

I am going to work on my search skills! :)