FZ6 your first bike? 1 helpfull tip

I don't understand. The FZ6 is my first bike as well, I had never even ridden dirt bikes or anything. I've had her for 3 months, put 3000 miles on her, and have stalled no more than twice. And I don't rev her like a fool at all. What's so hard about that clutch? Just feel it.

Speaking for myself here, this is my first time using a clutch for anything so I have also spent some time exploring the boundaries of the clutch to get the feel for what will cause it to stall.

Man I thought it was just me! When I first got it I stalled quite a few times, I was taking more than a few nut shots and getting pissed off. Never to the point of killing the battery though, that seems excessive. No stalling now, uphill you just use rear brake and give it enough throttle to get moving. Practice.

Clutch on the FZ6 is a bit tougher than most bikes since the friction zone is short and out a lot. I'm starting to like it though and it's really not that bad. Ever ride an F800S/ST? They're tougher.

+1 on the Battery Tender. The battery on my last bike was SEVEN YEARS OLD and still worked great when I sold it! I use the rule-of-tumb that the battery loses 5% of its charge each day and plug it in if I'm not going to ride for a week or more. My first FZ6 mod was to hook up the leads to the battery. After wrestling with running the cord behind the tank (tough to reach) I bought a couple of 1' extension plugs (2 pole connectors available at any autoparts store) and ran the cord back under the seat.

For long trips, I plan to rig a small air pump to plug into the battery tender plug. Others plug in heated gear directly to the tender plug. Possibilities are endless, although the alternator is WEAK (as I'm sure you all know).

This is going to sound dumb, but has the cable been lubed? If not do so, it will make the action smoother and easier to control.

And as CanadianFZ said, "When in doubt, GAS IT!"

I have had no issues with clutch use. I thought the friction zone was very well defined. Compared to some other sport bikes I have ridden, the FZ clutch is fairly easy to modulate. When I first learned to drive stick (automobile) I went and practiced in a parking lot. I just did take offs for about a half an hour, then it became more automatic, I could feel the pressure point in the clutch pedal travel. Perhaps the same technique will work for the OP.

The batter tender (I have the Optimate III, now the Optimate 4 is out:rockon:) is a wise investment. Just make sure it is safe for long term battery hookup, as too not dammage our expensive VRLA batteries.

And an excellent thing to hook up when you store your bike for the winter too.

Do you have pics of this setup? can it be left plugged in for a long time?

I'm going to try and get pics of the setup with the tank up, and of the actual harness, but right now its raining and i cant really get a good pic with flash. It basicaly is a harness with one red wire and one black wire. Both wires have a copper ring connector on one side, and are tied in to a connector on the other. All i had to do was disconnect the screws on the + and - side of the battery,and put the screws through the ring. The connector hangs out from under the tank just to the left of the left tank mounting bolt. The connector plugs right into the charger.
SEM-1562A.jpg

.... you're not giving it enough gas, that's why it's stalling.... add more throttle....:thumbup:

That was def. the problem for me. I think i was afraid to rev it up. Now i've got a little over 80 miles, and i think the only time i have stalled in the last 50 miles was because i left it in second. It is also my first bike, and the only other vehicles i have driven with a clutch is a couple of race cars i have worked on, and that was around the shop in first, maybe like .02 miles total.

Took it for my first ride tonight and sure enough I stalled it 3 times in about a 20 minute span. The last stall almost made me drop the bike because I was starting on a hill and making a right turn from a stop sign. Luckily I got my foot down and turned the wheel straight and got it back up. I just need more practice with it and all should be fine. I adjusted the clutch so at about 50% out it starts to grab. It does seem to have a short friction zone though.

Is the 08 clutch different from a 06? Cause I've stalled on occasions in the beginning, usually on hills or backward rolls. I haven't drained the battery to my knowledge. I find that just taking your time on the clutch helps out a lot and also prevents getting hit by red light runners.

You dont even have to give it gas when you want to go. Practice Releasing the clutch very slow. You will go and be on your way. I think this will help you with where your friction point is.

I had serious stalling problems, especially at intersections with cars around waiting on me...one stall leads to 2, which leads to 3. One time I actually said F it and rolled it out of the intersection so I could get my wits back. I finally went to a parking lot and spent an hour stopping and starting until I knew the friction zone like the back of my hand. I still occasionally stall it (usually when some jack is behind me on a chrome Harley pig) but I'm getting better. A guy on another forum referred to the friction zone on the FZ6 as the "fraction zone" which I found very appropriate.

Back