FZ6 vs. Triumph Street Triple R

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
i would get the speed , but then again i have a 1050 tiger and i am bias for the 1050 triple

It's weird, but the frame on the Speed Triple is wider at the top than the Street Triple, making it harder to reach the ground comfortably. I didn't even test ride the bike because of it.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
It's weird, but the frame on the Speed Triple is wider at the top than the Street Triple, making it harder to reach the ground comfortably. I didn't even test ride the bike because of it.

darn the funner bike is also the more comfy.. aint that a shame;) i think this is why i like the tiger so much, i am bigger guy, tiger is bigger bike... we fit good together, and i love the big triples.. tourqe and an addicting sound..:rockon:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
darn the funner bike is also the more comfy.. aint that a shame;) i think this is why i like the tiger so much, i am bigger guy, tiger is bigger bike... we fit good together, and i love the big triples.. tourqe and an addicting sound..:rockon:

The 1050 and the 675 have similar torque characteristics... tons of it right off of idle. Obviously the 1050 has more, but the 675 has plenty, trust me. Also, the 675 is a lighter bike, so the power deficits is less noticeable and the bike is more tossible in the corners.

My friend has a 2008 Tiger and he absolutely loves it. I tried just to get seated on it and had trouble getting my leg over it (5'10" w/ 30" inseam).

BTW, "funner" is not a word.

MtnCarver

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with an earlier post that a used FZ is the better starter bike as it also is less torquey at lower RPM's. My brother just switched from the FZ over to the STR and prefers the extra oomph at lower RPM's and more aggresive riding position, but agrees that the FZ is better for beginners. I trade off riding his STR and my FZ and I actually prefer the FZ as there is way less wind interference, though I hate how clunky the FZ transmission is in comparison. As stated earlier, it really comes down to riding both bikes and picking the one that feels right. My brother and I both commute on our bikes and have been happy with both models.

Good luck!!

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with an earlier post that a used FZ is the better starter bike as it also is less torquey at lower RPM's. My brother just switched from the FZ over to the STR and prefers the extra oomph at lower RPM's and more aggresive riding position, but agrees that the FZ is better for beginners. I trade off riding his STR and my FZ and I actually prefer the FZ as there is way less wind interference, though I hate how clunky the FZ transmission is in comparison. As stated earlier, it really comes down to riding both bikes and picking the one that feels right. My brother and I both commute on our bikes and have been happy with both models.

Good luck!!

MtnCarver is a full of crap... he's my brother and knows the STR is a way better bike than the FZ in every capacity except wind turbulence.:rockon::Flip:

joanne

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a Street Triple R May 2009. It is my 2nd bike - 1st was a Kawasaki Vulcan 500. When I got my Triumph I had 21,500 kms riding experience in 3 seasons. I love this bike!! I put the 2 piece windscreen on. I have 5,200 kms on so far this season and do ride for the day on this bike. I took an FZ6 out last summer and was kinda leaning toward that bike until I rode the Triumph. If you plan on riding long distances, the Triumph tailpack works well and Givi has a set of soft bags that look pretty decent on this bike. Both my husband and son are 6'2" and find their legs are very comfortable on the Triumph. Hands down to the Triumph.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a Street Triple R May 2009. It is my 2nd bike - 1st was a Kawasaki Vulcan 500. When I got my Triumph I had 21,500 kms riding experience in 3 seasons. I love this bike!! I put the 2 piece windscreen on. I have 5,200 kms on so far this season and do ride for the day on this bike. I took an FZ6 out last summer and was kinda leaning toward that bike until I rode the Triumph. If you plan on riding long distances, the Triumph tailpack works well and Givi has a set of soft bags that look pretty decent on this bike. Both my husband and son are 6'2" and find their legs are very comfortable on the Triumph. Hands down to the Triumph.

I think the Kawi or the FZ are better beginner bikes than the STriple, especially since the STriple's throttle is a bit touchy with all that torque down low. What color did you get? Orange or Graphite? I went with the graphite and put the fly screen without the smoked piece up top.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their input. I think i will have to go with the FZ6 if it doesn't feel as cramped as I initially thought when I sat on it this weekend.

It has the touring capability that I would like.

Anyone else out there around my height (6"3-6"4) find the FZ cramped in the legroom department?

Thanks again,

Rob
I have just over 2k on my Fz6 and I'm just over 6"3. Like you, that height is primarily longer legs. I don't have a problem with it at all. I really like the seating style of the bike and am comfortable all the time, though I would like to invest in a new seat.

I only had about 10k on previous bikes and opted for something I could handle, count on, and that wouldn't cost me to close an account. The fz6 has been great for me thus far, really happy with it.

Of course, the grass is always greener on the other side for me when it comes to motorcycles. I see it, I want it. :) Had to be responsible and fight the urge not to cash in on something I wanted, but didn't need. I was able to add the exhaust and new windscreen right away, where as with something like the triple I'd have to wait a year.

Basically, I don't have any real buyers remorse. And what I do have escapes when I push the starter.

Don't worry about your size.

Scorpio

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks so much to everyone for all of their input.

Has anyone here that owns an STR had any major problems with it?

A triumph forum would be the best place to ask that questions. Saying that, Triumphs are IMHO as bullet proof as any Japanese bike out there...:thumbup:

garfield2k

Reaction score
Visit site
A triumph forum would be the best place to ask that questions. Saying that, Triumphs are IMHO as bullet proof as any Japanese bike out there...:thumbup:

not quite....i owned 2 trumps and both had many problems (sprint st - stator and rectifier problem and finally the crankshaft broke and daytona 600 - fuel connector broke, stator and rectifier problem again). they were great when they were working tho!:rolleyes:
also own/owned 2 yamys as well, in terms of reliablity the yamy wins hands down. also, parts and servicing for the yamy is cheaper than the trump (here in oz anyway)

triumph has supposedly "fixed" all those issues so the street triple shouldnt be much trouble - head over to triumphrat or the speedtriple forums to see what problems ppl may be having...

arkay

Reaction score
Visit site
The fazer was my first bike but I was drooling and dreaming about the striple. The "R" version has upgraded front brakes and adjustable suspension, something average riders wouldn't notice the difference of, you'd really need to get it on a track to get any benefit of the "R".

I'm definitely getting the green striple next year, I'll hopefully be in a position to keep the fazer for touring with our lass aswell!

Build your own street triple HERE

spidersden

Reaction score
Visit site
I looked heavily at the Street triple, but decided my wife would be much more comfy on the FZ6. I also looked at the Triumph Sprint ST, but just didn't want a bike with that much oomph yet.

I pretty much like them all. :)

I'm thinking about a Kawaski Concours 14 ABS for the next bike...