FZ6 vs. Triumph Street Triple R

FLuK28

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

I was hoping some of you could help me out.

I am having trouble deciding between these two bikes. I know the FZ6 will be more comfortable for longer, 2 up riding with my girlfriend.

However, I find my legs to be a little more cramped on the FZ6 compared to the Triumph. I am 6'3 but most of that height is all legs. Am I the only one who noticed this?

I would love to hear anyone else's thoughts that have ridden or at least sat on both of these bikes.

Thanks for your help!

Rob

W

wrightme43

No real contest man. Buy the Triumph. I love my FZ but have actual drooling fits over the Triumph.

radial brakes, upside down forks, adjustable suspension, better lights, better bike all around.

Sorry to say it but the FZ loses to the Street R.

W

wrightme43

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRbsToYD1MU]YouTube - 2009 Triumph Street Triple R on the Isle of Man[/ame]

FLuK28

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh I know i just sit there and stare at Street Triple R all the time. I just don't know how it will fair if my girlfriend wants to come on it for a long ride.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
No real contest man. Buy the Triumph. I love my FZ but have actual drooling fits over the Triumph.

radial brakes, upside down forks, adjustable suspension, better lights, better bike all around.

Sorry to say it but the FZ loses to the Street R.

+1 without a doubt.

I don't know about 2 up, but I can't imagine the difference would be too big either way... buy the better bike, and deal with the girlfriend issue later on :D

FLuK28

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 without a doubt.

I don't know about 2 up, but I can't imagine the difference would be too big either way... buy the better bike, and deal with the girlfriend issue later on :D

Lol that's kind of what I was thinking too. It will be used primarily as one hell of a fun commuter. Might as well get the one I will be happiest with and most comfortable on.

Thanks for the input guys.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW, something we did not mention, but if you're new to riding, an FZ may indeed be the better bike for you... mainly because you could get a used FZ for practically nothing... something you can't say about a Street Triple R.... keep that in mind!

Good luck with your decision.

Ravenfz09

Reaction score
Visit site
the regular street is a more fair comparison, but that isnt what ur looking at. the triumph is higher performing, but its also a lot more money. the triumph is a pure naked bike, so if ur going on long rides u'll want a wind screen, but if u have the money and arent worried about comfort then get the triumph

FLuK28

Reaction score
Visit site
the regular street is a more fair comparison, but that isnt what ur looking at. the triumph is higher performing, but its also a lot more money. the triumph is a pure naked bike, so if ur going on long rides u'll want a wind screen, but if u have the money and arent worried about comfort then get the triumph

I guess it will come down to me having to test drive them both. For some reason legs felt a bit more cramped on the fz6. Maybe it was my imagination playing tricks on me cause I really want the STR lol

W

wrightme43

Yes now David mentioned something important. If you personally have less than say 20,000 miles of street experince I would highly highly highly reccomend a used bike to start with. If less than 1000 miles of street experince a used paralell twin or vtwin under 650 cc of displacement.

Aleziel

Reaction score
Visit site
unless you have the FZ6 ABS option where you are, or are really picky about the passenger seat, go for the Triumph... that bike is just gorgeous.

Last edited:

FLuK28

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes now David mentioned something important. If you personally have less than say 20,000 miles of street experince I would highly highly highly reccomend a used bike to start with. If less than 1000 miles of street experince a used paralell twin or vtwin under 650 cc of displacement.

Yeah I was doing some thinking and will probably go with a used FZ6. I don't have 20,000 miles of street experience that's for sure. Borrowed a friend's ZX-6R for the better part of summer a few years ago and that gave me some decent experience. I'd be really upset if I went down on a brand new street triple that's for sure.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't help but chyme in here since I've owned both bikes. I had my FZ for just over 2 years and now have the STR for about 2.5 months. The Triumph is a much better bike all around, except for long distance riding and likely 2up. For riding around town, spirited riding in the canyons, or even a touring day of less than 2 hours at a time, the Triumph is superior. It is a more aggressive bike though, so it will beat you up a bit after some distance and the seating position is not perfect for 2up because the passenger seat is tilted forward into you --> passenger slides into you when you brake. The wind protection on a true naked bike is non-existent compared to the semi-faired FZ, which is exhausting after a couple hours of riding.

If you are fairly new to riding, as others have said, the FZ is the better bike for you. The Triumph's power delivery is just too punchy at low rpms for a new rider, whereas the FZ is much more gradual climbing into the higher rpms.

Good luck with the purchase and keep us posted.
~Rob

FLuK28

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their input. I think i will have to go with the FZ6 if it doesn't feel as cramped as I initially thought when I sat on it this weekend.

It has the touring capability that I would like.

Anyone else out there around my height (6"3-6"4) find the FZ cramped in the legroom department?

Thanks again,

Rob

Ravenfz09

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their input. I think i will have to go with the FZ6 if it doesn't feel as cramped as I initially thought when I sat on it this weekend.

It has the touring capability that I would like.

Anyone else out there around my height (6"3-6"4) find the FZ cramped in the legroom department?

Thanks again,

Rob

plus a niced used one can be found for about $4000. if u are going used for sure, try to get an 07 or newer. they had:

Optimized fuel injection (FI) system mapping.
Redesigned fairing and windscreen.
New instrument cluster with analog tachometer and digital speedometer (similar to the FZ1).
New four-piston monoblock brake calipers for the front brake.
Alumite-finished front forks with revised damping.
A 3-way catalytic converter.
A new seat design.
A new rear swingarm.
New passenger pegs.

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL It's funny how many of us are drooling over the Street R. I too have coveted it since I've seen it in person. If you do get the Street R, make sure to get the belly pan and the front screen. REALLY makes the bike look that much better.

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed on the comments thus far. I'm only weighing in as I've been seriously thinking about the STR. I have a Daytona and the FZ, and it's obvious which bike has the better goodies... brakes, clutch etc. (the 675). So I'm toying with the idea of unloading both the FZ and Daytona to make room for an STR. Need to go sit on one some more... :D

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, nice David. The 675 is an amazing motor with gobbs of torque and plenty of top end power as well. Very versatile and would make for a great middle weight track bike. I love mine too much to risk it at the track, but perhaps someday I will after I've had it for a while longer.

Notes on the belly pan and wind screen. The wind screen does nothing in terms of wind protection, purely cosmetic. The belly pan actually sits TOO close to the heads and has paint melting off of it on several bikes. I did not opt for the belly pan since I think it looks silly, but I did buy the wind screen in hopes of wind protection. Will probably take it off and sell it soon, looks better without it as a true naked bike.