FZ6 vs. Fz1 Handlebars?

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm purchasing a 2007 Yamaha FZ6 soon. Right now the bike has FZ1 handlebars, he's converting it back to a more sport look (it's naked at the moment). What's the difference between the FZ1 handlebars and the FZ6 handlebars and what are the benefits? I'm 6'1. I heard it's more of an aggressive look but I want to know the benefits of the FZ6 and FZ1 handlebars.

Thanks.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
There's dozens of threads on handlebars if you search. Many don't like the FZ6 bars due to the severe sweep putting your wrists at an awkward angle.

The FZ1 bar has no rise so at 6'1" you'll be reaching forward very far, which you may find uncomfortable. If you sit real far forward the bike may not feel balanced, especially going downhill.

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
There's dozens of threads on handlebars if you search. Many don't like the FZ6 bars due to the severe sweep putting your wrists at an awkward angle.

The FZ1 bar has no rise so at 6'1" you'll be reaching forward very far, which you may find uncomfortable. If you sit real far forward the bike may not feel balanced, especially going downhill.

So do you recommend getting the stock handlebars? I heard that it hurts your wrist.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
So do you recommend getting the stock handlebars? I heard that it hurts your wrist.

I'm 6'2" and the FZ1 handlebars are far from a stretch, they are very comfortable, are slightly more aggressive, and feel great, read the link i posted in the previous post, it has all the info you need.

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'2" and the FZ1 handlebars are far from a stretch, they are very comfortable, are slightly more aggressive, and feel great, read the link i posted in the previous post, it has all the info you need.

I just read the whole post, I seen where you posted the pictures. I'm going to take a look at the pics when I get home as I am at work right now. Thanks.

As for your FZ1 handlebars and you being 6'2", are you able to sit upright when you want to or are you mostly leaning? How does your back and wrist feel?

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I just read the whole post, I seen where you posted the pictures. I'm going to take a look at the pics when I get home as I am at work right now. Thanks.

As for your FZ1 handlebars and you being 6'2", are you able to sit upright when you want to or are you mostly leaning? How does your back and wrist feel?

The reach difference is really not huge, (which will be apparent once you see the pictures), the main differences is the fact that they are lower and flatter, and your wrist will not be as twisted as the stock bars.

You have to reach forward a tiny bit more, but can still sit upright comfortably if you chose to. The lack of twist in the wrists does make tucking in/lying on the tank a lot more comfortable.

Since my bike is naked i will often lie on my tank when doing long trips on the highway, it is surprisingly comfy!

For me the biggest advantage of the FZ1 bars is the fact that they make steering input a lot easier.
For some reason the fact that the bars are flat and straight makes steering feel a lot more direct and controlled, like you have to put less effort to flick the bike.

The bar change didn't feel like a massive thing when i first did it, i mostly did it for fun and to try.
I recently rode my friends stock FZ6 and the bars felt horrible, i felt like i was riding an oversized bicycle.

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
The reach difference is really not huge, (which will be apparent once you see the pictures), the main differences is the fact that they are lower and flatter, and your wrist will not be as twisted as the stock bars.

You have to reach forward a tiny bit more, but can still sit upright comfortably if you chose to. The lack of twist in the wrists does make tucking in/lying on the tank a lot more comfortable.

Since my bike is naked i will often lie on my tank when doing long trips on the highway, it is surprisingly comfy!

For me the biggest advantage of the FZ1 bars is the fact that they make steering input a lot easier.
For some reason the fact that the bars are flat and straight makes steering feel a lot more direct and controlled, like you have to put less effort to flick the bike.

The bar change didn't feel like a massive thing when i first did it, i mostly did it for fun and to try.
I recently rode my friends stock FZ6 and the bars felt horrible, i felt like i was riding an oversized bicycle.

I think I might just have him keep the FZ1 handlebar on the bike. If I decide to change them would you know the prices of the FZ1, FZ6R, and FZ6 handlebar prices?

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site

It's mostly personal preference. For a fairly aggressive position try FZ1 bar. I didn't particularly like sitting hunched over the tank in traffic.

For an upright "standard"/touring position, some folks like the stock FZ6 bar with no issues. The FZ6R bar is similar with a bit less sweep and cures the wrist angle issue for some.

Alternatively there are many aftermarket bars such as Renthal Road series.

I wouldn't worry about the bars until you have the bike, have some miles on it and see what works for you.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I might just have him keep the FZ1 handlebar on the bike. If I decide to change them would you know the prices of the FZ1, FZ6R, and FZ6 handlebar prices?

Wise decision!

I bough bars from Boatsdotnet and paid 30 dollars for them, they are pretty cheap and easily swappable.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
JM2C - but it doesn't matter how tall you are! Well, not as much as "WHERE" you get this height from. <<< That matters!
Bars are much more dependent on the length between your butt and shoulders than your butt and your feet. ((Well unless your knuckles drag when walking that is! :D

Pick two folks who are both 6' tall.
1) 24" inseam, very short legs but a LONG TORSO!
2) 36" inseam, very long legs so a VERY SHORT torso!

At 5'10" and 32" inseam I like the FZ1 bars and fwiw every Zuk, Honda, and Yama I've ridden has the levers nearly parallel to the earth which pitches your wrists skyward and KILLS any chance of circulation to your hands while reaching the levers.
So, for those with the longer torso and the no rise bars, be sure to rotate the levers down so the invisible line from your shoulders rotator cuff to the wrists form a parallel line through your wrists while using the levers. It matters and really is not a "one position fits all riders adjustment".

Last edited:

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
UPDATE: I have chosen the FZ1 Handlebars and from drivin up and down my driveway; I like the feel of it! I will see once I get on the real road but I don't think there will be a problem. :rockon:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
It's mostly personal preference. For a fairly aggressive position try FZ1 bar. I didn't particularly like sitting hunched over the tank in traffic.

For an upright "standard"/touring position, some folks like the stock FZ6 bar with no issues. The FZ6R bar is similar with a bit less sweep and cures the wrist angle issue for some.

Alternatively there are many aftermarket bars such as Renthal Road series.

I wouldn't worry about the bars until you have the bike, have some miles on it and see what works for you.

which generation of FZ1 bars should be selected for our fz6 Fz1 Gen 1(upto 2005) or Gen 2(2006 and up)?