FZ6 v. DL 650 (V-Strom)

A

Aggietaco

First off, I've been lurking here for a few months and made a few posts, but I'm getting to the point where I need something to play with.

I've only ridden for about 2 years, on a Yamaha xv920j, while in school. I picked up the bike for the quick commute to and from class and fell in love with the thing. When I graduated and moved to Austin, I decided I shouldn't be riding in this city so I sold it off... :(

So, now a year later, I put my rock crawling hobby on hold until I could really afford what I wanted to do, sold off my project '84 4Runner and decided I needed another hobby to fill the gap and give me something to tinker with. Add my sorrow for selling my first bike and gas prices, and voila, back into biking.

Basically, I've narrowed my search down from an SV650, FZ6, DL650 and the F650GS to the FZ6 and the Strom. I've sat on both, though it's been a while and both feel like a confortable bike. Both have HUGE cult followings, both have great support from the aftermarket, and both usually elicit the same answers when asked which is the better bike, depending on which board you ask on ;).

So, have any of you ridden both, have friends that ride a DL650, etc? Realistically, I think they both would make a great bike for commuting and the occasional Saturday trip to the hill country, but I'm anal about decisions and don't want to regret purchasing the lesser bike. As of now, the only edge I've found is that the DL650 is offered in an ABS version in 2007, though they are extremely tuff to find used. As far as pricing, they seem pretty comparable, with a slight edge going to the FZ6 for being priced around $400-600 cheaper.

Comments?

Last edited by a moderator:

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
i had a DL650 last year and loved it quite a bit. having said that, the bike is top heavy and just seems much bigger than i felt comfortable to handle. i didnt like having just my tip toes on the ground at stoplights, and it wasnt worth it to me to lower the bike.

i sold it and bought an fz6 this year. for the money, the fz6 has a lot more standard items (namely, the center stand) than an sv650 or a DL650, at the cost of the v twin torque down low. the DL650 has the same engine as the sv650, but really, for the commuting that i do, gobs of torque down low kinda gets tiresome. in the end, im very happy with my fz6 purchase, and while i miss my DL650, i feel so much more comfortable on the fz6 (btw, i am 5'-9" 180 lbs, with a 31" inseam).

in addition, the fz6 brakes better, has longer valve check intervals, and much better wind protection than DL650.

dont get me wrong, the DL650 is a great bike. its just that for commuting (i commute 60 miles a day round trip on the interstate and in town), i think the fz6 is a better bike.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have a lot to add as I've only logged substantial miles on the FZ6. The fact that I own it tells you which one I think is best overall.

That list is interesting to me though because it the exact list I was working with when I decided on the Fazer. What's especially odd is thet the Wee-Strom and F650GS are totaly different bikes than the FZ6 and SV650.

I'm a mere 5' 4", so stand over and seat height were real considerations for me. The Fazer is on the high side of "just right." The V-Strom was way too tall for me. The F650GS was absolutely perfect. I never sat on the SV650.

Overall, the F650GS was my #1 choice, but I couldn's spend an extra (what? $2-3000 USD?) on it. It is an incredible bike. It's like that bike's ergos were designed for me exclusively. It's handles the twisties no problem AND you can hit the dirt with confidence. Awesome machine. Good luck finding one though. They stopped making them in 07 and nobody seems to be selling them (at least not within 500 miles of me.)

Since I have a proper (if lightly powered) dual sport at home the FZ6 was a great second choice. After 4000 miles I don't have a regret in the world. I still want an F650GS, but it would be second choice if I had it to do all over again. Try to get a test ride on a Fazer. You'll be sold within 2 miles.

Have fun with whichever you choose. They are all great machines.

A

Aggietaco

Little more about me - 6'2" 250#, which is why the DL650 is still a strong competitor. Posts on the stromtrooper site suggested that the Wee did a better job of protecting the rider from wind/weather than the FZ6 does, especially for larger riders - again, an instance of differing opinions depending on who you talk to.

The SV was ruled out because it was too much of a street bike - something I don't necessarily want to be affiliated with. I didn't like the seating and it just felt uncomfortable, though I have a few co-workers that love the bike.

The BMW was ruled out because I think the single cylinder just wouldn't cut it for my size. I've got a friend who owns the 1150 that is around my size and he had the same opinion of the 650 and still finds some areas where he wishes the 1150 had more power.

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
wind buffetting is a known problem on any Vstrom, but it is solved by buying a Madstad bracket for the windshield...any good Stromtrooper will tell you that ;) (i used to frequent that site as well)..or, possibly cutting down your windshield so that there is a cleaner airstream for the rider.

when i rode my DL650, my front part of my jacket would "poof" out, because the windshield is so far forward as compared to the seating position, the rider is caught behind the wind vortex, not in front of the wind vortex..this is what causes the buffeting issue. the Madstad bracket allows you to adjust the angle of the windshield so that the rider can be in front of the wind vortex..

given your size, you would probably appreciate the seat to peg distance on the DL650, and probably feel a little cramped on the fz6.

sounds to me like youve made up your mind..i say, go for it, you wont be disappointed with the DL650, and whatever you do, ride safe!

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
oh, one more thing...the DL650 headlights are awesome - two low beams switch to two high beams. very good lighting, much better than the fz6 (even with a headlight mod).

A

Aggietaco

I've far from made up my mind. If anything, I'm leaning towards an '07 FZ6, hence my membership here. However, if I can find a Wee with ABS...

Like I said before, I've sat on both, both were comfortable. I thought my size might be an issue, but my previous bike, the one pictured above, was on the small side as well and I fit on that one great. I need to take a trip to the dealers soon and try them out again just to make sure I'm not remembering incorrectly, but all things the same, I don't think I'd chose one over the other based on the seating position.

A

Aggietaco

oh, one more thing...the DL650 headlights are awesome - two low beams switch to two high beams. very good lighting, much better than the fz6 (even with a headlight mod).

This may be a good point, as I work construction, so I'm on the way to my site before the sun comes up and I often find myself on the way home after sunset.

Are there any aftermarket bars for attaching additional lights on the FZ6's?I would think a few small fogs or pencil beams near the forks would solve any lighting issues.

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
This may be a good point, as I work construction, so I'm on the way to my site before the sun comes up and I often find myself on the way home after sunset.

the first time i rode home on the fz6 in the dark after work, i was very uncomfortable. i have since added the wire to the right side low beam (thanks to one of the members here, Bikerdude 43 i think), and it has made a big difference (i also switch to my clear visor for night riding). still not compared to the DL650 though.

something else..i could never break 50 mpg with the DL650, but continually average 52 mpg with the fz6....and my right hand would get numb on the DL650 after 20 minutes...but i attribute that to the bars being a far reach for me (i think my arms are short for my height)..no problems on the fz6 (also have barbacks that help).

A

Aggietaco

Are there any aftermarket bars for attaching additional lights on the FZ6's?I would think a few small fogs or pencil beams near the forks would solve any lighting issues.

Instead of taking the lazy newb approach, I decided to research. Apparently, adding additional lighting is an option, but you'd have to make sure you aren't draining the battery while riding. Is there an upgraded or high output alternator available? Is rewinding the stock alternator an option like it is on vehicles?

"HID" lighting is also an option, but blinding other vehicles would be a huge concern for me without the propper cut-offs in the housings. I think I'd rather ride with too little light than risk blinding every oncoming vehicle with improper bulbs.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with everythying Taki said,,,,i had a Wee-Strom last year ,too and everything taki claimed is very very accurate,,,i did rode it for 2 up long trips ,,much better than the fz6 at those trips ,,,fz6 is more than enough comfortable for weekend rides and commuting...
the things that i didnt like about the wee was that it being top heavy and tall bike...im 5 11 and i had to tiptoe at lights ,,which if you are 2up,it is very very disturbing..very reliable,,both bikes,i guess...

the only thing you gotta decide between them is the style,,,both bikes have +'s and-'s
i miss the DL650 too but i dont think i will buy another one after my FZ because i feel much more comfortable when handling the FZ6 around,,

gotta decide if you want the torque or higher rev rocket under you...

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site

I ended up buying the SW-Motech engine guards for my 08. There's a Yamaha factory option but I don't think it's available in the US. They look nice and it would be easy to mount a light kit on. I'll probably end up getting the very nice looking (and very expensive) highway peg kit that twisted throttle offers if I ever start taking longer trips.

TwistedThrottle.com : SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards (Yamaha FZ6, '04-'07) - SBL.06.316.100

DaFiz

Reaction score
Visit site
The important factor should be the bike's secondary function. As a commuter they're equal (more or less). The Fazer does a good job of trackday and mountain passes on my Sunday ride, but if I were to venture onto the dirt roads I'd rather take the DL650... (that's just a sandy gravel road and NOT a Motocross track):rockon:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Instead of taking the lazy newb approach, I decided to research. Apparently, adding additional lighting is an option, but you'd have to make sure you aren't draining the battery while riding. Is there an upgraded or high output alternator available? Is rewinding the stock alternator an option like it is on vehicles?

"HID" lighting is also an option, but blinding other vehicles would be a huge concern for me without the propper cut-offs in the housings. I think I'd rather ride with too little light than risk blinding every oncoming vehicle with improper bulbs.

I have the HID on my low beam side 9soon to be on both sides) and i have yet to be flashed by oncoming cars even once in about 7500 miles, so i don't think that it causes that much of an issue.

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site
I have both BMW F650GS and FZ6 and I like both but each has their unique qualities. Bad weather, gravel roads, camping I prefer BMW. Get up and haul a$$ is definitely FZ6:rockon: BTW '09 F650GS is a twin not a thumper, I have '01 so def a thumper..... The Dakar model is taller and has more power in the older yr models. Good luck, basically any ride is a good ride if it's yours :)

A

Aggietaco

I have both BMW F650GS and FZ6 and I like both but each has their unique qualities. Bad weather, gravel roads, camping I prefer BMW. Get up and haul a$$ is definitely FZ6:rockon: BTW '09 F650GS is a twin not a thumper, I have '01 so def a thumper..... The Dakar model is taller and has more power in the older yr models. Good luck, basically any ride is a good ride if it's yours :)

Yes, I saw the new F650 was going to be a twin, but I'm not looking for new bikes, so that doesn't really affect me.

And I know either bike would probably do just fine, but like I said, I'm anal about decisions, just trying to make sure I'm well informed about both before I drop some coin. I was planning on making a decision by this weekend and going to check out one of the 2 bikes I had my eye on, but it's the SO's birthday, so I'm being drug out of town with no time for the boards or motorcycle shopping...

A

Aggietaco

I'm about to take off from work and head down to San Antonio for the weekend. There just so happens to be an FZ6 I'm interested in down there... I think I'll throw the ramps in the truck just in case.

A

Aggietaco

Well, the bike in SA wasn't exactly as described... Turned out he had laid it down on the driver's side and somehow that didn't fall into my "Does it have any paint chips, nicks, scuffs, scratches, etc?" question.

Anyway, sat on the bike to get a feel for it since it's been a while. A little more bent over than I remember, but still felt fairly comfortable. I also went to the local dealer today and sat on a Strom. Man, that thing is huge compared to the FZ6! The seating positions are fairly different, both comfortable in their own right and each lends itself to a different style of riding. I think for pure commuting, the Strom would make a better bike, but the urge to wring it out on some twisties in the Hill Country has me leaning towards an FZ6 still.

The guy at the dealership sure did some trash talking about the FZ6 though. He either hated money or didn't know what he was talking about. Or he was really trying to get me to leave with that Strom.

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
the vstrom handlebars are wider than the fz6, and yes, you sit up much taller on the vstrom...i have added barbacks to my fz6, and nearly have replicated the seating position of the vstrom (except for the seat to peg height).

and yes, the vstrom is huge compared to the fz6, wheelbase is longer, front fairing/plastics are wider and further away from the rider, more substansial 2 up seat and of course a standard built in rack...