FZ6 v. DL 650 (V-Strom)

A

Aggietaco

Tentative plans to head up to Dallas this weekend to check out an '07. I've been leaning towards the Strom after taking at look at that one on Tuesday, but this might be too good of a deal to pass up.

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never heard anyone say too much low-end torque was tiresome. Why did you feel like that?

thats a good question, i should clarify..if my shifting was smooth as butter, then it would have been just fine, but unfortunately, i could never shift smoothly on my dl650, i just attributed it to the large amounts of low end torque.

i tried everything i could, adjusted the clutch, preloaded the shifter, didnt use the clutch, i even told myself i would really really concentrate on my shifting technique (and i did), but for some reason, for any shifting under 50 mph, every upshift resulted in a fairly loud clunk and i felt like my arms would rip out of my shoulders (in other words, trying to hang on because of the torque). dont get me wrong, i love torque (ive got a magnum rt and a v8 dakota as my other vehicles), it was just that in stop and go traffic, it was cumbersome and fatiguing.

ill try to put it another way, imagine sitting in stop and go traffic with a top fuel dragster, and having to shift gears (up and down) between red lights. ok, maybe a DL650 doesnt have that much torque, but hopefully you get the idea.

additionally, on downshifting, there was so much engine braking that my wife (who was following me home one day driving our car) almost rear ended me because i slowed down so fast. it got to the point that i never downshifted because it was dangerous for me, and as a result, i would get caught in the wrong gear if i had to accellerate again.

again, keep in mind, im not saying its the bikes fault. i just personally could just never upshift and downshift smoothly.

for me, i am able to up (and down) shift my fz6 much smoother (except for that pesky 1-2 shift), and makes for a much more enjoyable (and safer) commute to work.

A

Aggietaco

2812886940_92f4dbda87.jpg

:thumbup:

A

Aggietaco

Man, this thing is a blast. Needed to go gas up, so I figured it was as good of an excuse as any to go for a little ride. Took her around Lake Travis on a few twisties and then hit some highways to see how she performed on the open road. Only complaint is a pain in my right hand after riding for only 25 minutes or so. I may need to get some new gloves, or it may just be getting used to the riding position.

Also placed an order with Parts411 to replace some of my old gear. Ordered an RF-1000 and a JR Reactor 2.0 jacket. Tried both on at the local parts house yesterday and they fit wonderfully, so hopefully my set will be exactly what I need. Aside from those, I need to look into some storage - either some soft bags or a set of Givis to stash my work crap in during the week.

...I was also riding illegally today, so I need to head by the DMV this week while I'm waiting for my new gear and get a new license.

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
nice bike, and great decision! my fz6 is an 06 in red, and i really like the color.

congrats!

J

Japbiker

Why not look into the FZ1, for your size this may be a better option?

A

Aggietaco

I don't like the riding position on the FZ1 and I've got no need for 1,000 cc's. The FZ6 hauls my fat butt around town just fine. Got around to getting my TX m endorsement this morning, only took me 4 hours at the DPS. I'm still pissed my motorcycle license didn't transfer from NC.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats! I was looking at the same bikes on your list and nearly went with a V-strom, but ended up getting the same bike you did ('07 red).

I also had some pain in my right hand. SW-Motech barbacks/risers from Twistedthrottle.com solved it. Not cheap, but a big difference and easy to install. Throttle Rocker makes a big difference too.

A

Aggietaco

I think I'm going to try one of the throttle rockers first and go from there. As far as positioning, I actually like the location of the bars.