FZ6 to R1 comparison

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Shame on me for for not writing how an FZ6 looks, feels, and handles. I assumed that here on an FZ6 forum most riders would already know what an FZ6 is like.

No shame on you! Your absolutely correct, most everyone here knows about the FZ6 and for those that don't we have the "search" feature. Posting those details would have only been redundant and I appreciate the succinct writeup of the R1.

Easy does it when you're 'crackin' that R1 throttle! :rockon:

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
R1 in black NICE! :thumbup:

Enjoy your ride and be safe. I'm just getting more comfortable on my fizzer, but for my next bigger bike I think I'd go for something in the 750CC range. You know, baby steps at a time.

P.S.
But then on second thought the Ducati Streetfighter looks AWESOME...
ducati-streetfighter-1.jpg

Last edited:

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
R1 in black NICE! :thumbup:

Enjoy your ride and be safe. I'm just getting more comfortable on my fizzer, but for my next bigger bike I think I'd go for something in the 750CC range. You know, baby steps at a time.

P.S.
But then on second thought the Ducati Streetfighter looks AWESOME...
ducati-streetfighter-1.jpg

Wow... gotta be one of the nicest bike I have seen.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually really enjoy reading comparisons! Thank you for review, and should be even more detailed.
I bet you there is no one single person in this forum with FZ6 in garage who didn't have a thought of moving bigger on the ladder. R1 being perfect step up.
Yes, FZ6 is nice, fast and we all like it but R1 must be something else.

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
so...the comparison??? I'm confused..... there wasn't one....so why even title it that way? why not just say I want to brag about having the coin to not only buy an R1, but insure it as well, and to gloat that I have a far far superior bike in all aspects.
/QUOTE]

Im sorry, but i kinda have to agree with VD. I know that the two bikes really do not compare due to the engine and ergonomics. But a I have a few questions for I am difinately thinking about getting an 09 R1 at the end of the season since they have the new cross-plane engine. How much harder was the curves of the two bikes? Did you have to fight the R1 at things that came second-nature to the FZ6? Also, does anyone ride with you (passenger), and if they do, how was the ride for them?
If you could answer these for me and also any other major changes that you noticed right away that would not be expected from a cosmo-rever to a liter bike. Thanks for post.

Howattzer

Reaction score
Visit site
so...the comparison??? I'm confused..... there wasn't one....so why even title it that way? why not just say I want to brag about having the coin to not only buy an R1, but insure it as well, and to gloat that I have a far far superior bike in all aspects.
/QUOTE]

Im sorry, but i kinda have to agree with VD. I know that the two bikes really do not compare due to the engine and ergonomics. But a I have a few questions for I am difinately thinking about getting an 09 R1 at the end of the season since they have the new cross-plane engine. How much harder was the curves of the two bikes? Did you have to fight the R1 at things that came second-nature to the FZ6? Also, does anyone ride with you (passenger), and if they do, how was the ride for them?
If you could answer these for me and also any other major changes that you noticed right away that would not be expected from a cosmo-rever to a liter bike. Thanks for post.

I assume "curve" is referring to power curve? If so, then the R1 pulls like a tractor at the bottom when compared to the FZ6 and keeps pulling right up to 13,500 rpm. The FZ6 was much more of a bike that could be pushed around: push on the bars and it goes where it is pointed with little drama. The R1 begs to be ridden smoother, and will reward the smooth rider. Simply riding into the corner and coming hard on the throttle after apex is not enough, because there is so much power on tap that wheel spin or front wheel rise will be occur if you really crack it.

I have yet to have a passenger on my R1, however I never had a passenger on the FZ6 either. I think passenger comfort on the FZ6 would have the edge, no question, however the additional power and braking of the R1 would be helpful with a skilled passenger.

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
I assume "curve" is referring to power curve? If so, then the R1 pulls like a tractor at the bottom when compared to the FZ6 and keeps pulling right up to 13,500 rpm. The FZ6 was much more of a bike that could be pushed around: push on the bars and it goes where it is pointed with little drama. The R1 begs to be ridden smoother, and will reward the smooth rider. Simply riding into the corner and coming hard on the throttle after apex is not enough, because there is so much power on tap that wheel spin or front wheel rise will be occur if you really crack it.

I have yet to have a passenger on my R1, however I never had a passenger on the FZ6 either. I think passenger comfort on the FZ6 would have the edge, no question, however the additional power and braking of the R1 would be helpful with a skilled passenger.
thank you. Ohh, and i apologize for the confusion, the 'curve' was in reference to a curve/set of twisties, and you still answered the questing, so thanks again

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the review/comparison. I really would like to own an R1, especially the 2009 model. Just curious, what are your cruising RPMs at highway speeds?

Aleziel

Reaction score
Visit site

I'm going to go write a "comparison" from my dads ford ranger and my uncles F550 now...I've truly been inspired.

totaly agree... there isnt a comparison, and really there isnt a point of one, besides the fact that youre "comparing" a supersport racer with a street bike, bsides the fact that youre "compairing" a 2004 technology bike with a 2009 tech one. youre comparing a bike that has almost double the displacement, and 180Horsepower!

im glad our friend is enjoying his r1, but i dont get why he has to state the tragically obvious as he was refering to similar bikes.

the only similarity between a 2004 FZ6 and a 2009R1, is the yamaha logo

ross_mct

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, I was lucky enough to ride the new '09 R1 for a while.. And i'm in love! Totally awesome, easy to ride, powerfull (understatement), deadly looks and sounds like no other bike on the road! The acceleration is addictive, but unfortunatly you don't notice the speed until your going well over the speed limit.. Would buy one in a heart beat, but wouldn't replace my FZ6 with it.. Two totally different bikes, each awesome in their own right! Have a couple of pic's i'll load later, having a couple of problems at the moment..

vdbergj1

Manna
Reaction score
Visit site
wow....you really are an a$$hole. Yep, shoulda banned you a while ago.

VDITRAINING : PMS with jet fuel? :spank:

I'm use to an always helpful FZ6-Forum family. That is why I like this forum above all others. What magnet attracted some of these latest needles. Then again, you can choose your friends but not your family . :ban:

R1 - GR8 for you!!! Nice photo's as well! :thumbup:

Howattzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the review/comparison. I really would like to own an R1, especially the 2009 model. Just curious, what are your cruising RPMs at highway speeds?

60 mph in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear is well under 5000 rpm. 100 mph in 6th gear is about 6,000 rpm, however I can drop to 4th and still keep it under 8,000 rpm at that speed too. They bike has some really long legs.....You can be really lazy in the corners and still pull hard out of each one, whereas I found you had to really work the gears on the FZ6. However, working the gear box and clutch are half the fun on a sportbike anyways, and I may miss that.

55 mph in second gear is around 7500 rpm.

For those of you looking for more of a comparison, please let me know what questions you would like answered.

For the haters out there, I would say that they are worthy of comparison because there are lots of comparisons between FZ6 & R6, FZ6 & FZ1, so why not a small discussion on thoughts between FZ6 and R1? Really. If you don't like what I wrote, don't read it. I have owned two street bikes in my life, one after the other, so it is only natural to compare the two.

Last edited:

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
For the haters out there, I would say that they are worthy of comparison because there are lots of comparisons between FZ6 & R6, FZ6 & FZ1, so why not a small discussion on thoughts between FZ6 and R1? Really. If you don't like what I wrote, don't read it. I have owned two street bikes in my life, one after the other, so it is only natural to compare the two.

I agree Howattzer, and thanks again for the comparison. The R1 is a bike that I see myself moving to in a few years (when I can find the 09 used!), and this type of comparison is very informative and insightful. Keep the answers coming!

Howattzer

Reaction score
Visit site
so why the R1 over the R6?

Probably a stupid question, but right now, if I were to upgrade, it would be over to a sportier/racier 600...

Good question. I did ride both before making my decision. I just felt better on the R1. When riding the R6, I felt like i was "on" the bike. When riding the R1, I felt like I was "part of" the bike. If that makes any sense.

If I just rode track, I would have gone for the R6. It loves to turn, but you have to be 12,000+ rpm to make it move, especially with my fat ass on the seat. The R1 handled as well on the street, plus the extra grunt just can't be overlooked.

Good question though, as I seriously consdered both. I just fit better on the R1. If I was 50 pounds lighter, maybe an R6 would be in my garage. My local dealership also had 3 R1's in stock, which led to a wicked good deal. I paid about 43% less than MSRP. I actually paid less than MSRP on an R6!

jrf

Reaction score
Visit site
Your R1 is totally SICK:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I love the black:rockon:

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried out both the R1 and R6 and found the R1 to be far comfier.

It's still way more bike than I need though.