fz6/r6 engine differences

darch5

Reaction score
Visit site
ok...i tried to search over this forum because i really would like to know, what are the differences between FZ6 & R6 engines...actuall differences...

i know that the R6 has stronger engine, but why?

is there mechanical reason or electricall or... etc ...tnx

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont know all of the diffrences but the FZ6 motor is detuned and has a more optimised low to mid range powerband making it more street friendly where as the R6 is all high RPM range that is more suited for the track.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My understanding is that the FZ motor is the prior generation R6 motor.

Also, I read in a thread that the injector system in the FZ is less sophisticated than the R6 in that the 1-4 and 2-3 injectors fire together on the FZ whereas they fire independently on the R6.

Then, as previously mentioned, you have different ECU mapping, the cams are probably different, the intake and exhaust, etc.

That is what I've gathered from the forum and observations.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Oscar covered most of it...you'll have to wait until some others chime in with more specific explanations. In the meantime, do you have white rims? Can you post a full-size picture?

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
R6 based, 599cc, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valve, slant block inline four powerplant. Virtually all the internal engine components are R6 spec including crankshaft, con rods, valve sizes, bore & stroke etc.
• The difference between the R6 and the FZ6 engine is the camshafts have revised cam profiles and slightly different intake tracts for more low to mid range power.
• One-piece cylinder and upper crankcase assembly provides superior rigidity.
• Compact slant-block engine uses stacked gearbox shafts to create a shorter engine for optimum in placement in the frame for a balanced weight distribution.
• "Liner-less" cylinder has special ceramic composite plating applied directly to the aluminum cylinder for greater heat dissipation, reduced frictional losses and reduced oil consumption.
• 6-speed transmission has been optimized to accommodate the engine character of the FZ6. The secondary reduction ratio is 46/16 (Vs. a reduction ratio of 48/16 for the R6).
• "Group-Type" 36mm throttle body fuel injection provides outstanding throttle response and excellent fuel economy. This system uses fewer sensors (5) than the R6 (7) while also being lighter and more compact.
• Group fuel injection divides the four cylinders into two groups (1 & 4 and 2 & 3) with two injections of fuel for every 720 degrees of crank rotation (the R6 system utilizes a sequential injection for each cylinder).
• Compact "high dynamic range" injectors use 4 jet / 2-direction spray type injectors. A high powered 32 bit CPU controls the injection process.
• Progressive type throttle pulley and direct coupler type TPS (throttle position sensor) provides easy throttle control without the annoyance of FI surging.
• 6.3 litre airbox is "optimized" to take full advantage of the R1 inspired downdraft intake system.
• Air Induction System (AIS) reduces hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide (HC & CO) emissions.
• 4 into 2 into 1 into 2 stainless steel exhaust system features a stylish under seat muffler that is a one piece design unit with dual outlets. A special resin cover protects the muffler and keeps hot components away from the rider and passenger.
• A special connecting pipe joins the header pipes between cylinders #2 and #3 pipes to provide outstanding low to mid range torque.
• The exhaust system uses a catalytic converter to reduce harmful emissions such as CO, HC, CO2 and NOx into less harmful by products. The result is very clean running engine that easily surpasses the new EU2 European emission standards.
• High capacity radiator with ring-type cooling fan insures maximum cooling efficiency.
• Liquid cooled oil cooler maintains consistent oil temperatures for extended engine and lubricant life.
• R6 based clutch assembly is utilized but the clutch boss, spring rate and friction plates are specially designed for the FZ6.
• Maintenance-free transistor controlled digital ignition ensures fast starts and optimum engine performance.

FZ6-ZN

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Our FZ6's are not based on the 2006 or newer R6 engine at all. That engine is a 599cc engine with totally different specs. Our engine is derived from the 03-05 R6, or the 06-09 R6s. A 600cc motor.

darch5

Reaction score
Visit site
Oscar covered most of it...you'll have to wait until some others chime in with more specific explanations. In the meantime, do you have white rims? Can you post a full-size picture?

yes, i have a white rear rim (for now; that is just a test to see how people react...) forward is black...
...tell me your impression about it...?

cid_3301924121_246573.jpg

cid_3301924121_246036.jpg

cid_3301924121_221122.jpg

darch5

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks guys...
...now i must to paint and forward rim too....
...i will also try to put the multi function display, from fz6 2007 y. because the original is not so pretty for my taste...

keep you posted :thumbup:

Last edited:

motodude

Reaction score
Visit site
I like it. I always thought a total black bike with white rims would look cool.
Do you have to wipe the rim a lot to keep it looking clean from break dust and chain lube?

darch5

Reaction score
Visit site
I like it. I always thought a total black bike with white rims would look cool.
Do you have to wipe the rim a lot to keep it looking clean from break dust and chain lube?

not so often, even when the rain fall, a filth is not so visible...but i wipe the rim always after ride, because i want to have a clean bike all the time...i just love my bike.....is that sick? he,he, ... greetings from Adriatic sea.... :thumbup:

darch5

Reaction score
Visit site
R6 based, 599cc, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valve, slant block inline four powerplant. Virtually all the internal engine components are R6 spec including crankshaft, con rods, valve sizes, bore & stroke etc.
• The difference between the R6 and the FZ6 engine is the camshafts have revised cam profiles and slightly different intake tracts for more low to mid range power.
• One-piece cylinder and upper crankcase assembly provides superior rigidity.
• Compact slant-block engine uses stacked gearbox shafts to create a shorter engine for optimum in placement in the frame for a balanced weight distribution.
• \"Liner-less\" cylinder has special ceramic composite plating applied directly to the aluminum cylinder for greater heat dissipation, reduced frictional losses and reduced oil consumption.
• 6-speed transmission has been optimized to accommodate the engine character of the FZ6. The secondary reduction ratio is 46/16 (Vs. a reduction ratio of 48/16 for the R6).
• \"Group-Type\" 36mm throttle body fuel injection provides outstanding throttle response and excellent fuel economy. This system uses fewer sensors (5) than the R6 (7) while also being lighter and more compact.
• Group fuel injection divides the four cylinders into two groups (1 & 4 and 2 & 3) with two injections of fuel for every 720 degrees of crank rotation (the R6 system utilizes a sequential injection for each cylinder).
• Compact \"high dynamic range\" injectors use 4 jet / 2-direction spray type injectors. A high powered 32 bit CPU controls the injection process.
• Progressive type throttle pulley and direct coupler type TPS (throttle position sensor) provides easy throttle control without the annoyance of FI surging.
• 6.3 litre airbox is \"optimized\" to take full advantage of the R1 inspired downdraft intake system.
• Air Induction System (AIS) reduces hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide (HC & CO) emissions.
• 4 into 2 into 1 into 2 stainless steel exhaust system features a stylish under seat muffler that is a one piece design unit with dual outlets. A special resin cover protects the muffler and keeps hot components away from the rider and passenger.
• A special connecting pipe joins the header pipes between cylinders #2 and #3 pipes to provide outstanding low to mid range torque.
• The exhaust system uses a catalytic converter to reduce harmful emissions such as CO, HC, CO2 and NOx into less harmful by products. The result is very clean running engine that easily surpasses the new EU2 European emission standards.
• High capacity radiator with ring-type cooling fan insures maximum cooling efficiency.
• Liquid cooled oil cooler maintains consistent oil temperatures for extended engine and lubricant life.
• R6 based clutch assembly is utilized but the clutch boss, spring rate and friction plates are specially designed for the FZ6.
• Maintenance-free transistor controlled digital ignition ensures fast starts and optimum engine performance.

FZ6-ZN

and what does it mean?
does it mean that my fz6 could never have a performance as the R6?

damn :(