fz6/r6 engine differences

In General:
A large chunk of the reason is the profile of the cam shaft, the rotating lobe that opens and closes the valves that bring in air/fuel and expel exhaust gasses. The R6 is essentially a street legal track bike and when you are racing the engine is always at the top of the rev range. To accomplish this the cams are made to deliver the most power at the top of the rev range. Unfortunately to get most of the power up at the top of the rev range power in the middle and lower parts of the rev range must be sacrificed. This makes for very poor street riding characteristics because most of us don't tool around town at a constant 12,000 RPM. Having the engine tuned for mid range like the FZ6 means you have to shift less often and generally makes the bike better for "normal" riding.

Technically:
The cams on the R6 have more "overlap" meaning that at the end of the exhaust stroke both the exhaust valve and the intake valve are open at the same time. The fast moving exiting exhaust gasses create a vacuum in the cylinder which helps draw in the next charge of air and fuel. More fuel and air equals more power. Unfortunately this feature is counter productive at lower RPM's and saps power from a slower moving engine, which is why the FZ6 has power at 5000 RPMs then the R6. Well designed automobile engines have multiple cam profiles that can change as the engine RPM rises and falls (variable valve timing). I don't know of any motorcycles that have this design feature (and no, the Honda Interceptor's V-Tec does not work this way like it does in their V-Tec cars). Obviously the engine electronics, intake track, and head geometry are tuned as well, but only to take advantage of a different cam profile. So no, the FZ6 will never have as much absolute power as the R6 but it has more usable power (in my opinion).

Last edited:
yes, i have a white rear rim (for now; that is just a test to see how people react...) forward is black...
...tell me your impression about it...?

cid_3301924121_246573.jpg

cid_3301924121_246036.jpg

cid_3301924121_221122.jpg

Go white in front too! That looks awesome!:thumbup:

yes, i have a white rear rim (for now; that is just a test to see how people react...) forward is black...
...tell me your impression about it...?

cid_3301924121_246573.jpg

cid_3301924121_246036.jpg

cid_3301924121_221122.jpg

I too own a silver/black FZ like yours, i thought about the rims many times and since the bike already has a winning color combination of silver/black i would like to have silver painted rims to match the color of the engine-forks etc. I believe a third color doesn't fit in but it's a matter of taste.

P.S. Wooops seems i dug up quite an old thread :D

Now, all that being said about the R6/FZ6 internals.... Would it be possible to swap in the cams from an R6, and using a PCIII manage the fuel?.... I also believe that the R6 has high compression.... vague memory though.... Would it even be worth it?

Now, all that being said about the R6/FZ6 internals.... Would it be possible to swap in the cams from an R6, and using a PCIII manage the fuel?.... I also believe that the R6 has high compression.... vague memory though.... Would it even be worth it?

There's loads of threads on 'The search for power' from the R6
Swapping the cams on their own,would do nothing but change the rev range.
As has been mention before about injectors and air flow etc.

If you want loads of power It seems the best way to go is the suck or spin route.,there's the Turbo FZ on here,or search out Fighterboys Supercharged FZ6 200bhp beast.:thumbup:

Back