FZ6-N Whine in 4th gear

SommerDK

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all im new at this Forum, and from Denmark, so please accept my lusy english skills :)

Just bought a FZ6-N, for a week ago, brand new (old version but 0 km odo)

Yamaha FZ6-N - Motorcykelgalleri.dk

BTW which year is it from ?? (the dealer told me its from 07, but i think its from 05 or 06)

Today i hit 500 km odo, so still breaking the engine in.
BUT i noticed that when i hit about 5000 rpm in 4th gear there is a whining sound, and it goes up with the rpm. It´s only in 4th gear.

Is that normal ????

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to our great forum!

Check the chain tension on the bike. A lot of dealers over tighten the chain out of specification. They say the chain will stretch but the chain should be set to specification. Rear wheel should be aligned correctly as this will also cause noise from chain to sprocket.

Years might be different on Euro bikes. Here in the US if that frame is black the year would be 06. As well here in the US the 07 had different fairing, swing arm, subframe etc...

They should have put new tires on that bike if it sat for that long. If the tire are original, even without wear they should be changed because the compounds in the rubber change.

Great looking bike! :D

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2006 FZ6 does exactly the same thing. It whines only in 4th gear. It has done it since the day I bought it. My conclusion after 56000 kms is that its normal. (That's after 4 different sets of tires and a couple sets of sprockets and chains).

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all im new at this Forum, and from Denmark, so please accept my lusy english skills :)

Just bought a FZ6-N, for a week ago, brand new (old version but 0 km odo)

Yamaha FZ6-N - Motorcykelgalleri.dk

BTW which year is it from ?? (the dealer told me its from 07, but i think its from 05 or 06)

Today i hit 500 km odo, so still breaking the engine in.
BUT i noticed that when i hit about 5000 rpm in 4th gear there is a whining sound, and it goes up with the rpm. It´s only in 4th gear.

Is that normal ????
is your bike restricted to 25kw, this may be cause of whine in 4th and also a good way to date it

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The speedometer is PRE 2007 US models.. In the backround of the posted picture is my 2007 US speedometer. Your pictures wouldn't open for me...

+1 on the chain.

If its under warranty yet from the dealer, you may want to have a Yamaha shop listen to it to make sure there's nothing major wrong with the gear box. If so, bring it back or them fix it.. I would think the chain would be noisy more of the time, not just one gear.. Have them check the chain closely or check it yourself

Can you tell if the whine is under load, no load (in gear) whining in neutral at speed?

I just changed my chain and front sprocket out. The front was pretty worn and made a fair amount of noise, mostly in higher gears with load on the chain (slight throttle), above 35 MPH.

Between the new sprocket and broken in new DID X chain, its nice and quiet now...

Last edited:

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Sommer

Like some of the other riders mention - your bike has been made somewhere between 2004-2006.
"Motogiro" already mentioned the differences - same in Europe as in US.

Hoping you made a sweet deal on that bike :)
I know I did when I bought my FZ6 2nd hand 4 years ago.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My US '09 whines in 4th. It's just a noise it makes. Different bikes make different noises..

For the pure sport of it, loosen the chain to the max limit. I think most of you will find that it goes away. . .

That and proper rear wheel alignment + Cleaned and GOOD Lube!

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
I've run the chain tight and loose, no difference in the noise. Done the string alignment, too, and haven't noticed any difference. I use Multi-use is my lube.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Chain set to loose end of adjustment zone. Aligned properly. Scottoiler chain oiler. Whines in every gear, but sounds like gear whine. But usually doesn't bother me I'm running a SENA headset and earplugs.

I got used to gear whine when I had my FJR that thing sounded like a turbine engine spooling up as you went though the gears.

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
Very, very interesting link.

So, here in the US, my faired, 2007 FZ6 (owners manual cover states: FZS6W(C) would that be the higher output engine, ?

BTW, it was purchased new in Florida..

Thanks, Scott
as far as i know all s2 models are 72kw / 97bhp and the lower spec1 are 57kw /76bhp and your bike looks s2 from pictures

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
as far as i know all s2 models are 72kw / 97bhp and the lower spec1 are 57kw /76bhp and your bike looks s2 from pictures

Thanks you for the response. :)

I didn't realize there were so many different versions. I knew of a lower HP output engine.

I kind of assumed my bike was the higher end HP bike as it runs that good...

Looefz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I know , this is an old thread, but my 2004 fz6 whines in fourth and you can hear a whine in most gears, I would say it;s normal as mine has only 6000 miles on it, and oil always changed , or changed a lot! :)The bike has always whined as I say, but a normal whine not a worn out whine :) best wishes.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know , this is an old thread, but my 2004 fz6 whines in fourth and you can hear a whine in most gears, I would say it;s normal as mine has only 6000 miles on it, and oil always changed , or changed a lot! :)The bike has always whined as I say, but a normal whine not a worn out whine :) best wishes.

Make sure your chain is adjusted at it's TIGHTEST POINT, and has a TOTAL of up and down play of 2" (or 50 mm's).

Adjust while on the center stand and after cleaning and lubing.

Aftermarket pipes, also "fix" the whine. Best fix IMO!