FZ6 gets into accident, rider is OK

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday, I was riding to work in the rain and the van in front of me slams on her brakes. I in turn grab a fist full of the brake lever and skidded into the van. I don't remember the impact, but I remember waking up lying face up on the ground. When I got up I saw pieces of the FZ6 lying all over the place. Once I finally caught sight of the FZ it was lying on its left side. I picked it up and was glad to see that it was still able to start. I called a tow truck and towed it home.

The damage report:
- Front fairing is destroyed. Only the left head light is where it is suppose to be
- Gas tank is damaged on both sides
- Crank crase cover is scraped pretty bad, though I believe the Motovation frame sliders took much of the damage
- Radiator is bent
- Engine block and valve cover damaged
- Brake lever and handle bar is bent

I don't believe it is totalled, but we'll see what the insurance company says. As for me, I am lucky to be able to walk away from this accident. I was wearing a helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. The only bodily injury I have is a sprained left ankle, sprained left shoulder and stab wound on my left butt cheek. The stab wound was caused by my house keys which hang on my jeans.

So what have I learned? Well...
1) Keep a good following distance, ESPECIALLY in the RAIN/HAIL
2) Try to always keep an escape route in mind (I could have swerved)
3) Don't hang keys on the your pants

Ride safe everyone!

Last edited:

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you are pretty much ok! Sorry to hear about the bike, hopefully you will be able to get it fixed and back on the road!

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, glad you came out of the crash reasonably ok, sucks about all the damage to the bike. The damage to the engine block, is that from where the slider was bolted on???... Oops, shoulda waited for the photo's ;)
Wow, damage all round.

Thanks for the tip about the keys, I do the same thing... I will be throwing them in the tank-bag from now on.

:)

Last edited:

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are okay. Maybe another naked project in the works?

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, glad you came out of the crash reasonably ok, sucks about all the damage to the bike. The damage to the engine block, is that from where the slider was bolted on???

Thanks for the tip about the keys, I do the same thing... I will be throwing them in the tank-bag from now on.

:)

The right corner of the engine block got hit and chipped off some pieces. And yes, please keep the keys somewhere else. It does not feel good to be impaled by your own house keys.

Last edited:

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad it wasn't worse! An impaled ass cheek is always bad news tho :) At least it is in my book! Are you going naked?

ferrariman

Reaction score
Visit site
Here are some pics

So glad to hear you are OK, bruises will go...you can always get a new Bike if you like. My mom dropped a word on my shoulders when I told her I bought my FZ6. My parents live half way around the globe in India and gets to see me once in 2-3 yrs! She said "everytime you feel like you want more speed, first think about all the people who love you!! may be that will make you reconsider!"
Ok I will stop now. Inshort. I am glad to hear you are fine. Get well soon!
KB

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn Pete! I'm glad you are more or less okay. That butt wound sounds very painful. Keep us posted on what the insurance says.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you made it out in one piece!

Looks to me like it will be totalled due to the scratches on the frame and engine... buy it back and make it a naked fighter! or a dedicated track bike!

In any case, good luck with it all....

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you're not too torn up! It could've been worse....what if you had your keys in your 'front pocket'!!! :jawdrop:

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
Hey Pete, I am happy to see you OK.
For me this FZ6 is economy totaled. Fairing, engine, gas tank, maybe steering. This to repair to original state you could buy a new (used) FZ6 I think.

And yes, your right, distance is the most important thing when you drive in bad circumstances. If you can't act (f.e. brake hard) with your bike as usual (f.e. cause rain) you should try to drive so that you never get in the situation to brake hard even if another driver makes a mistake. Normally with enough distance this is more or less easy to realize. I think this is one of the most important things all riders should have in theire head. Always. So we as community can't say this often enough.

After 14 years of riding this is one of the the things I still fear. Cause of that I sold my 2005 FZ6 and purchased a used 2007 FZ6 with ABS (anti lock system).
I really cant understand why you can't get ABS in USA even not optional if you want it. Here in Europe in the last 1-2 years ABS became de-facto standard.
Maybe they need all anti lock systems for the Europe ones. :D

BR
Robert

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're more or less ok although I don't envy you the key incident - but thanks for sharing so that I can think about where I'm keeping mine without learning the hard way. Sorry (or maybe happy depending on perspective) but have to agree with some of the others that it looks like a total for the insurance company.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are ok. The bike is totaled. They totaled a buddy of mines bike with bent handle bars, broken blinkers, messed up mirrors and scratched up plastic. It looked new compared to your bike. Once again, glad you are ok.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are some more pics

im glad to hear your not majorly injured,your deffinitly gonna be sore for a few weeks.I was lookin at the damage pic,s and im 99% sure its gonna total sorry man.the insurance company,s will want a list of every part that was damaged even sratched.and mr.yamahas part prices are ridiculous.full coverage will pay you the CURRENT RETAIL VALUE of your bike you can find that at kellybluebook.com $5,380 http://www.kbb.com/kbb/OtherVehicle...iceType=Retail&ManufacturerId=343&YearId=2007 http://www.nadaguides.com/default.a...&m=0297&d=1200021921&y=2007&ml=Y&gc=MC&gtc=MC NADA puts it at $5,340

Last edited:

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
pete, you're a way cool dude... but sounds like you're a 'Pain in the Ass'. sorry for the bad pun. we LA fair weather people really are foreign to these type of conditions lately.

glad to hear you're ok. sorry about the bike. keep us posted with the status. we have to ride one of these days