Votes: 55 35.7%
  • FJR1300

Votes: 78 50.6%

• Total voters

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've had my 2007 FZ6 Fazer S2 for a year now, and put almost 9.000 miles on her. Every second has been pure joy :cheer: So no complaints...

However, I don't use her to commute, only for fun, and lately I find myself travelling 80 to 100 miles to reach good twisty roads. That means I often do 300-400 miles per day. And that made me think about upgrading to a more sports-touring kind of bike. Plus those high-revs all the time make the ride a bit too nervous to my taste (yeah I'm getting old ;) )

I have ridden a FZ1 before, and I don't really consider it as an alternative. It's an awesome bike, great power and handling, but won't offer me the comfort I'm looking for. It's more like a bigger FZ6, not really different.

So that made me look at the FJR1300. It's very different, so much bigger, and I'm worried it might be too big for me. I don't know how it handles the twisties, and if I'll still be able to ride small backroads (no off-road though).

So if price was not an object, would you guys consider a FJR1300? Why? Advantages / disadvantages? How does the power compare to that of the FZ6? Or should I stay with the FZ6, or take another look at the FZ1?

Thanks for your input :thumbup:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've had my 2007 FZ6 Fazer S2 for a year now, and put almost 9.000 miles on her. Every second has been pure joy :cheer: So no complaints...

However, I don't use her to commute, only for fun, and lately I find myself travelling 80 to 100 miles to reach good twisty roads. That means I often do 300-400 miles per day. And that made me think about upgrading to a more sports-touring kind of bike. Plus those high-revs all the time make the ride a bit too nervous to my taste (yeah I'm getting old ;) )

I have ridden a FZ1 before, and I don't really consider it as an alternative. It's an awesome bike, great power and handling, but won't offer me the comfort I'm looking for. It's more like a bigger FZ6, not really different.

So that made me look at the FJR1300. It's very different, so much bigger, and I'm worried it might be too big for me. I don't know how it handles the twisties, and if I'll still be able to ride small backroads (no off-road though).

So if price was not an object, would you guys consider a FJR1300? Why? Advantages / disadvantages? How does the power compare to that of the FZ6? Or should I stay with the FZ6, or take another look at the FZ1?

Thanks for your input :thumbup:

As far as the FJR is conserned, it is very small when compared to other sport tourers. The kawi is huge compared to the FJR. As far as I am concerned the FJR is probably the most aggressive ST out there. Fully adjustable shocks, independant brakes, (ST1300 has linked Front and Rear brakes) ABS is an option on the FJR and it also has an auto clutch option.

My next bike will more than likely be a FJR 1300.

-bryan

CZAR357

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like you need to upgrade to the old man's sport bike! I dont have previous experience with the FJR1300 but it likely has more power and a more upright stance. I've heard it does decent in the twisties as well, although i'm sure the FZ6 does better.

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I once saw a guy riding one down Hwy 243 from Idyllwild and he was leaning it over as if it were a sports bike; his side bags were almost scraping on the ground. I have never ridden the fjr, but from how this guy was riding it, I doubt that you will feel to much of a restriction the twisties.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
FJR is huge and heavy ... just sitting on it on the showroom floor gave me nausea. Get a FZ1 and set it up for touring.

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden a friend's FJR 1300 with a Uni-Go trailer attached. It's definitely what I'll be buying if I go for a sport tourer, minus the trailer. Good power and handling, and more comfortable to me than most of the others on the market.

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
A first generation FZ1 could also be a consideration. More comfortable for long distances than the FZ6 or a second gen FZ1, but lighter than the FJR. They usually go fairly cheap too. May be able to setup the FZ1 for touring and keep the FZ6 for shorter stuff.

Reaction score
Visit site
As much as I love my Fz6, if I had your issues I would keep the fizzer and then get a Moto Guzzi as an alterative ride, say, a LeMans or a Corsa for instance. As I tell my boy, you cannot have too much money, too many guitars, or too many motorcycles.....GRUMPY

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the replies. I'll try to test ride a FJR and then see. Unfortunately I won't be able to have 2 bikes, and I'm not sure I want to let my trusty Fizzer go yet... Decisions decisions :)

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Not a Yammy but what about a VFR800 - it's heavier than the FZ, more setup as a sport tourer, more wind protection from the full fairing and more integrated luggage but not a big as the FJR. I agree the FZ does get a little high-strung feeling after many hours on the highway - an hour here and there doesn't really bother me though if it's interspersed with some moderate speed roads with more twisties.

rockmurf

Reaction score
Visit site
I had an fz6 (04 bought used on ebay) put 28k miles on her in 2 years and I have an 06 fjr bought new that has 43k miles. I think they are great tandem to own. One compliments the other. The fjr is definitely more comfortable, way more powerful and offers greater protection, and abs is standard as is the electrically adjustable windshield, luggage liners and plug in outlet. The fz6 is way more flickable, better gas mileage, 50mpg compared to 40-45mpg or less if you are on it. It is alot lighter, less protection, poorer brakes (major problem for me). You cannot lean the fjr like you can the fz6 but the fjr is like the top of the line in my opinion. The bmw may have more bells and whistles but it will cost a fortune to buy and even more to maintain and then you have the reliability issues. The concours has major heat issues which yamaha resolved with gen 2 fjr. Good luck in your decision. Both are great bikes.

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden my friends FJR1300AE. It's a fabulous bike and the automatic clutch is ingenious. That particular feature takes a little getting used to but once you get a feel for it (which takes all of about 5 minutes) you'll love it. From my point of view there is one thing you must understand about this bike. It is significantly heavier than the FZ6 and much more top heavy. When not under power it is easy to lose control of it if the ground is a little uneven or you are trying to move it around in a tight area. I've been on the FJR1300 forums and have read about many people dropping this bike.

Thankfully I didn't drop my friend's bike but I was very aware of it's bulk compared to the FZ6. I use the Fizzer for everything from an all day ride to getting a sub sandwich 3 miles down the road. At 5'10 and 150 pounds I don't think I'd want to bother getting the FJR out of the garage and positioning it back in for just a little ride. On the other hand, I would love to have one for bigger trips. Having both would give you everything you could possibly want in a bike, but if you could only have one, think carefully about how you mostly will be using the bike. BTW, under power, the FJR won't leave you wanting in any situation.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
As far as the FJR is conserned, it is very small when compared to other sport tourers. The kawi is huge compared to the FJR. As far as I am concerned the FJR is probably the most aggressive ST out there. Fully adjustable shocks, independant brakes, (ST1300 has linked Front and Rear brakes) ABS is an option on the FJR and it also has an auto clutch option.

My next bike will more than likely be a FJR 1300.

-bryan

FJR has rear linked to front but not vice versa. other than that I agree with everything here. I wanted a FJR when I bought the FZ but didn't wanna drop the coin.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree the FZ1 is too close to the 6.
I have 54K on my 04 FJR and still love it. You will give up a small amount of the quick handling of the FZ but the power and comfort more than make up for it.
I bought my FZ6 as a more sporty bike for local rides as I live in the twistys but if I had to pick one bike it would be the FJR hands down.
The hardest part about the Feejer is keeping it under 85mph. Plenty of info on the FJR forums.
Figure out a way to have both :)

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never ridden an FJR1300 but also lusted after one. But with the top heavy/bulky comments above, I'd have to think hard about getting one at my stage of the riding career (2 yrs). There are many times where I stop a little off balance, or have some weird curb or road angle to negotiate to slow speed, or find my foot slides a bit on gravel when I come to a stop. In each of these situations, it's a race to get balanced before the Point of No Return. If I had a more top-heavy bike and just plain heavier, I'd probably pound it into oblivion by dropping it. Frame sliders can only do so much.

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
Having both would give you everything you could possibly want in a bike, but if you could only have one, think carefully about how you mostly will be using the bike. BTW, under power, the FJR won't leave you wanting in any situation.

Thanks for your advice. I've been thinking long and hard, and also about what cv_rider said. I haven't even been riding for 2 years, so maybe it's a bit early in my riding career... Owning both would be perfect, yeah... :rolleyes: I'll keep you updated :thumbup:

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted for the FZ1. The cool thing about the bigger Fizzer is that you can set it up for touring, still have great handling, and tons of power.
I think for your needs, a touring FZ1 will really be perfect. The reason you ride far is to enjoy the twisties, so getting something that will not be a fun kinda defeats the purpose.

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ll be facing same dillema to upgrade bike....
Been looking around for bike that can be multi purpose in 1000cc...
Friend of mine just got ST 1050 and he love it and I ve been eyeing on old bike Aprillia Futura...I havent got a chance to sit on it.
Reading from review seems like quite suitable for multi purpose...
Only down side is they stop production on 05 so hard to find the deal.